Bring It On!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-08-2017, 05:12 AM
RE: Bring It On!
(14-08-2017 02:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Science explains HOW things are made, but fails to address WHY things are made.

I do not see that asking "Why?" is meaningful. In order to ask why you have to first assume there is an intentional purpose which means that you are assuming an active agent as part of the answer. It puts the cart squarely before the horse and simply leads you into a nice circular reasoning path from which there is no escape.

In answering "How?", science leaves the question of intent out of the picture and focuses on the mechanisms. If and when that inquiry produces evidence that an intentional agent acted it will be the point at which "Why" questions may make sense. So far, everything we've learned has pointed to natural processes operating in conjunction with random chance. No signs of any guiding intelligence have been found; in fact, the relatively poor design found throughout nature argues against any intelligent designer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
14-08-2017, 05:17 AM
(14-08-2017 05:12 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 02:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Science explains HOW things are made, but fails to address WHY things are made.

I do not see that asking "Why?" is meaningful. In order to ask why you have to first assume there is an intentional purpose which means that you are assuming an active agent as part of the answer. It puts the cart squarely before the horse and simply leads you into a nice circular reasoning path from which there is no escape.

In answering "How?", science leaves the question of intent out of the picture and focuses on the mechanisms. If and when that inquiry produces evidence that an intentional agent acted it will be the point at which "Why" questions may make sense. So far, everything we've learned has pointed to natural processes operating in conjunction with random chance. No signs of any guiding intelligence have been found; in fact, the relatively poor design found throughout nature argues against any intelligent designer.

Re this: I think sciences definition of WHY and a theists definition of why are very different.

For a Theist it comes under: "Why do we exist, my life MUST have meaning" etc. But with Science its "Why does this species of animal have this certain feature?", and the answer is 99% of the time, because it gains an evolutionary advantage over other animals because of this.

In terms of "the meaning of life" there is no 'Why', but in terms of how things function, that is something that is answered by science.

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
14-08-2017, 05:18 AM
(14-08-2017 02:15 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 08:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The key is the thinking part. Try it sometime.

Um, rude.

[Image: CTpkdGHWoAAjcDb.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
14-08-2017, 09:32 AM
(12-08-2017 09:33 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Still think being an atheist is cool?

Fuck off.
14-08-2017, 10:27 AM
(13-08-2017 05:18 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 12:42 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's about as likely as existence of something called god.

That proves I'm not a troll. Cool

Mods, you might check this guy's account. I may have been hacked. He sounds slightly more intelligent on this thread than his last one.Smile
14-08-2017, 10:28 AM
(14-08-2017 02:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 02:47 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > And your evidence for God's existence is.....??? Consider

You don't think everything in the universe just happened for no reason, do you? The incredible variety of animal and plant life, the complex workings of the human mind and our dreams, the perfect geometry of the stars and planets......there's no way it could all be some meaningless coincidence. Science explains HOW things are made, but fails to address WHY things are made.

Didn't answer the question, did you?
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
14-08-2017, 10:51 AM
(14-08-2017 10:27 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 05:18 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  That proves I'm not a troll. Cool

Mods, you might check this guy's account. I may have been hacked. He sounds slightly more intelligent on this thread than his last one.Smile

He's just a troll. He switches from being odious to saying something not-quite-as-stupid-but-still-fucking-dumb to whining about how badly he's treated. All part of the act.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-08-2017, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 12:13 PM by adey67.)
(14-08-2017 10:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 10:27 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Mods, you might check this guy's account. I may have been hacked. He sounds slightly more intelligent on this thread than his last one.Smile

He's just a troll. He switches from being odious to saying something not-quite-as-stupid-but-still-fucking-dumb to whining about how badly he's treated. All part of the act.

Yup, this guy is the absolute and utter epitome of a troll, if you wanted an example of trolling to show say, school kids you would choose this guy, and he's proud of it too, his protestations to the contrary are all part of the act because no one is that deluded...... or are they ? Consider
I called him some pretty awful names yesterday and for a while I was racked with guilt for being unnecessarily harsh and unkind but no, he mixes victimhood with apparent reasonableness then vitriol, how can you have a sensible conversation with someone who exhibits these characteristics almost simultaneously? You cant, these are sophisticated troll tactics pure and simple.......
Only they can't be that sophisticated cos I can understand them Laugh out load
14-08-2017, 12:46 PM
(14-08-2017 10:28 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  ... and your evidence is ...?

(14-08-2017 02:55 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ... the incredible variety of animal and plant life, the complex workings of the human mind and our dreams, the perfect geometry of the stars and planets ...

(14-08-2017 10:28 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Didn't answer the question, did you?

But he did. He did provide evidence - what to him is evidence. The problem is not a matter of evidence or its lack - there is ALWAYS evidence, evidence in abundance. The problem is evaluating evidence, discerning what evidence is relevant and how it proves/disproves the issue at hand. That's hard, and takes education, training, and a frame of mind that resists leaping to conclusions.

So don't knock the religious for lacking evidence. They don't lack evidence, they've got evidence by oceans. What they lack is the intellectual capability of discernment, proper logic, and knowing to remove what they'd like to be true from the top of the evaluation priority list to the bottom.
[+] 7 users Like Airportkid's post
14-08-2017, 01:36 PM
(14-08-2017 02:19 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 02:16 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  You're turning me on.
Your own stupidity turns you on? You must be constantly horny then.

Consider