Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos
British scientists get the go-ahead to genetically modify embryos to understand why some women suffer repeated miscarriages.

...Application was made by researchers at Francis Crick Institute, London
...Approval means they will be first in Britain to alter DNA of human embryos
...Will examine how embryo's genes affect if it survives the first week of life
...Findings will give clues about recurrent miscarriage and help IVF success
...But critics argue the technology could be used to create designer babies

By Anna Hodgekiss for MailOnline and Fiona Macrae for the Daily Mail

Published: 05:24 EST, 1 February 2016 | Updated: 08:18 EST, 1 February 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...iages.html

"Scientists have today been given permission to genetically modify human embryos for the first time in the UK.

The decision by the fertility regulator means they will be allowed to manipulate the genes of embryos donated by IVF patients.

The application was made by researchers at the Francis Crick Institute in London.

The green light means they will be the first in Britain to alter the DNA of human embryos and only the second in the world - potentially within months.

However, the development, which is made possible by a new, highly precise way of manipulating genes, will raise concerns that Britain is on a slippery slope towards designer babies.

Used differently, the Crispr DNA editing technique could lead to the creation of 'perfect' children made to order by hair or eye colour."... cont. on link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We need to address this ethically and socially because it's inevitable.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the ethics control is very strict and proactive and they stick to diseases only!

What I don't want to see is designer babies, gender assignment and selective personality gene assignment (if that becomes knowable). Determining the value of a person based on their gender, their eye color or their sexual preference is abhorrent to me and so is designing people based on your preference or bias.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos

On the 'designer babies' thing, personally, I'm all for designing behbies if it means the elimination of genetic disorders.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-02-2016, 02:56 PM
They'd better hurry up with that research. If they figure out how to make humans immortal a year or two after I die I'm gonna be really pissed off. I'll probably come back and rattle chains and stuff.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
01-02-2016, 03:06 PM
(01-02-2016 02:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

On the 'designer babies' thing, personally, I'm all for designing behbies if it means the elimination of genetic disorders.

The term "designer babies" is about frivolous alterations like eye and hair, color not curing diseases or disorders.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-02-2016, 03:10 PM
(01-02-2016 03:06 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 02:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

The term "designer babies" is about frivolous alterations like eye and hair, color not curing diseases or disorders.

If the tech exists, why not?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-02-2016, 03:16 PM
(01-02-2016 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:06 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  The term "designer babies" is about frivolous alterations like eye and hair, color not curing diseases or disorders.

If the tech exists, why not?

For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".
01-02-2016, 03:20 PM
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  If the tech exists, why not?

For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".
Eliminating one of the genders (male or female) seems to be a good idea. It would solve 99% of the worlds problems in now time.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
01-02-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't see problem with "designer babies". I see no harm in this as long as it will not be refunded.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-02-2016, 04:48 PM
(01-02-2016 03:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't see problem with "designer babies". I see no harm in this as long as it will not be refunded.

The important thing is that it's going to happen whether we approve or not, and those cultures that accept the change will have a significant survival advantage over those that do not. Being against genetic manipulation is therefore about as practical as being against the loss of our tails. The more rational debate is "How will this inevitability transform society and what is the best course of action to pave the way for that transformation?".

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-02-2016, 04:54 PM
(01-02-2016 04:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't see problem with "designer babies". I see no harm in this as long as it will not be refunded.

The important thing is that it's going to happen whether we approve or not, and those cultures that accept the change will have a significant survival advantage over those that do not. Being against genetic manipulation is therefore about as practical as being against the loss of our tails. The more rational debate is "How will this inevitability transform society and what is the best course of action to pave the way for that transformation?".

As I'm not against genetic manipulation I'm kinda surprised that you quoted my post. Or it's about refundation part?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.