Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
RE: Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos
(01-02-2016 04:54 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 04:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The important thing is that it's going to happen whether we approve or not, and those cultures that accept the change will have a significant survival advantage over those that do not. Being against genetic manipulation is therefore about as practical as being against the loss of our tails. The more rational debate is "How will this inevitability transform society and what is the best course of action to pave the way for that transformation?".

As I'm not against genetic manipulation I'm kinda surprised that you quoted my post. Or it's about refundation part?

Just continuing the thought.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 04:58 PM
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  If the tech exists, why not?

For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".

... Your quoted examples were for decorative things like hair colour... And certainly it's foreseeable that people might choose the gender of their kid. Are you aware that this is already possible with IVF?

And "purity"? Rolleyes Well, there probably are those who would think along those lines... Most of conservative America for one...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-02-2016, 04:58 PM
(01-02-2016 04:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 04:54 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  As I'm not against genetic manipulation I'm kinda surprised that you quoted my post. Or it's about refundation part?

Just continuing the thought.

Ah.

Despite what you said I'm quite sure that there would be many opponents os such manipulation. Look on GMO and multiply outrage. I only hope that something fucked up won't be result.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-02-2016, 05:09 PM
All these embryos were already never to be implanted for making babies, were destined for uselessness, AND none of them can be used for that, ever. They have found a way to make some use of them. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-02-2016, 05:26 PM
(01-02-2016 04:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".

... Your quoted examples were for decorative things like hair colour... And certainly it's foreseeable that people might choose the gender of their kid. Are you aware that this is already possible with IVF?

And "purity"? Rolleyes Well, there probably are those who would think along those lines... Most of conservative America for one...

No I didn't. I didn't think they did that. I also thought the gender was determined by a lot of things in vitro not just by the father.

*sigh* Never mind, I don't want to know. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-02-2016, 05:41 PM
(01-02-2016 04:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".

Purebred American:

[Image: DrtlI.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2016, 05:45 PM
(01-02-2016 05:26 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  No I didn't. I didn't think they did that. I also thought the gender was determined by a lot of things in vitro not just by the father.

It's one chromosome - the X/Y. XX is female, XY is male. All the female's eggs have an X chromosome, the male's sperm have either an X or a Y.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2016, 09:20 PM
(01-02-2016 04:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The important thing is that it's going to happen whether we approve or not, and those cultures that accept the change will have a significant survival advantage over those that do not. Being against genetic manipulation is therefore about as practical as being against the loss of our tails. The more rational debate is "How will this inevitability transform society and what is the best course of action to pave the way for that transformation?".

I, for one, welcome and knee/bow down before our new genetic over-lords?

Consider
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
02-02-2016, 12:32 PM
[Image: british_embryo_anatomy.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  If the tech exists, why not?

For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".
I'm all for it. Why not allow rich parents to pick/manufacture some genes for their kids.

There are going to be some really smart people and some really athletic ones as well, not to mention that they are going to live for thousands of years.

Not sure if Asian is a gene or Indian is a gene or African is a gene. That seems a bit ridiculous.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post