Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 01:34 PM
RE: Britain Gives Go Ahead For Genetic Modifying Research On Embryos
(02-02-2016 12:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  For the same reason we shouldn't purify the babies to be not Black, not Asian, not Indian or not gay or not female, unless you think that's okay too... "if the tech exists then why not".
I'm all for it. Why not allow rich parents to pick/manufacture some genes for their kids.

There are going to be some really smart people and some really athletic ones as well, not to mention that they are going to live for thousands of years.

Not sure if Asian is a gene or Indian is a gene or African is a gene. That seems a bit ridiculous.

The other corrollary is that in vivo modification will proceed apace with in vitro modification.

The result of which being that while one will be able to "choose" things like superficial morphology for kids, changing those as desired will also be an eminently possible procedure.
(I'd almost expect to see it first, simply because it's far easier to regulate)

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2016, 08:33 AM
I think overall this technology is a good step in the right direction as it could allow us to eliminate genetic diseases. However, I believe caution should be used as creating people that are superior to thier non-modified counterparts could be problematic. Just look at history where one group thought they were superior to another, it didn't usually end well for the group that was thought to be less superior.

Imagine what could happen if genetic modification actually made someone superior to everyone else in every way.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
03-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Sweet. I want my descendants to be manticores.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
03-02-2016, 05:22 PM
(03-02-2016 09:43 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Sweet. I want my descendants to be manticores.

How about manatees, I like manatees better. Smile

[Image: yYkurr6.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 05:59 PM
(03-02-2016 09:43 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Sweet. I want my descendants to be manticores.

Hopefully like this Manticore!

[Image: z9cigW.gif]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-02-2016, 01:59 PM
(03-02-2016 08:33 AM)Worom Wrote:  I think overall this technology is a good step in the right direction as it could allow us to eliminate genetic diseases. However, I believe caution should be used as creating people that are superior to thier non-modified counterparts could be problematic. Just look at history where one group thought they were superior to another, it didn't usually end well for the group that was thought to be less superior.

Imagine what could happen if genetic modification actually made someone superior to everyone else in every way.

Since presumably everyone would have the right to improve their children's genetics, it would even out within a few generations. Also, what we might think as "superior" actually depends heavily on the environment. There's no magic "übermensch" switch in our genomes, otherwise natural selection would already have made it ubiquitous - "perfection" is simply the lack of any genetic diseases or susceptibilities, and having learned about all sorts of them in Med School, I think that's a worthwhile pursuit.

I'd also argue for the legality of altering ambiguous traits like homosexuality, if the parents so desire (but neither should adding them be legal, nor forcing the parents to choose to remove them), as the moral weight of tampering with genomes is by far preferable to teenagers being disowned by religious parents or facing social ostracism throughout their lives (though it raises the question whether religious parents would use the method in the first place).

As for frivolous changes such as hair colour or height, that should be judged case by case and only allowed if it poses no medical, social or psychological harm to the child (it's cool being 220 cm tall, but getting foot ulcers by 35 years of age isn't, not to mention fitting in society or finding a relationship). I also think choosing the gender of the to-be-conceived child should be legal in children after your first - most parents want a child of the opposite gender as their second and it could also possibly benefit the social skills of children if they grow up with siblings of both genders.

Also, probably the biggest argument is that if western civilization won't allow genetic modifications, any one that does (China seems the most likely) will have a humongous edge on us.
09-02-2016, 02:28 PM
(03-02-2016 08:33 AM)Worom Wrote:  I think overall this technology is a good step in the right direction as it could allow us to eliminate genetic diseases. However, I believe caution should be used as creating people that are superior to thier non-modified counterparts could be problematic. Just look at history where one group thought they were superior to another, it didn't usually end well for the group that was thought to be less superior.

[Image: khan.jpg]

Of course if we did get this, vvvvv, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. Smile

[Image: khan-noonien-singh-star-trek-the-movies-...0-1485.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-02-2016, 04:34 PM
It may mean that Islam, hating women as they do, will die out due to them all being created as male babies.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post