Britain is a 'post-Christian' country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Britain is a 'post-Christian' country
(27-04-2014 10:08 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 10:02 PM)Sam Wrote:  Reminds me of that bit in Life of Brian...

"Thanks for the art, music and architecture... But don't bother too much with the murder, ignorance and bigotry next time."

Hahaha yeah!

I was recently watching some old BBC talkshow footage on YouTube of the Monty Python team discussing Life of Brian with prominent church leaders of the time. It's brilliant. I bet John Clease and co are loving this current upset! Thumbsup

There was this spoof of it...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
27-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Sadcryface
(27-04-2014 10:17 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 10:08 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Hahaha yeah!

I was recently watching some old BBC talkshow footage on YouTube of the Monty Python team discussing Life of Brian with prominent church leaders of the time. It's brilliant. I bet John Clease and co are loving this current upset! Thumbsup

Was it that Friday Night, Saturday Morning debate... With that Muggeridge bloke and the fella in the purple dress?

That's the one ... Matey in the purple dress gives off all the wrong vibes to be a babysitter Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
27-04-2014, 10:28 PM
(27-04-2014 10:27 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 10:08 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Hahaha yeah!

There was this spoof of it...

I'd forgotten about that! Nice one! Hahaha

27-04-2014, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 10:43 PM by Hughsie.)
I read in a related article that about 800,000 people attend CoE services each weekend. I think nearly that many (if not more) people go to the football, and millions more watch it from home whereas I don't think people watch a weekly church service from home (unless you count Songs of Praise and it's (at peak) 12 viewers).

I've come to the conclusion that football is far more deserving of religious status than church these days. Hundreds of thousands turn up each weekend for both of them, the only difference is that when someone goes to the football the players actually turn up. I don't think God's church attendance is nearly as good.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
27-04-2014, 10:37 PM
(27-04-2014 10:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I read in a related article that about 800,000 people attend CoE services each weekend. I think nearly that many (if not more) people go to the football as that, and millions more watch it from home whereas I don't think people watch a weekly church service from home (unless you could Songs of Praise and it's (at peak) 12 viewers).

I've come to the conclusion that football is far more deserving of religious status than church these days. Hundreds of thousands turn up each weekend for both of them, the only difference is that when someone goes to the football the players actually turn up. I don't think God's church attendance is nearly as good.

Don't say that... The way some fans take it so seriously is disturbing enough.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
27-04-2014, 10:42 PM
(27-04-2014 10:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I read in a related article that about 800,000 people attend CoE services each weekend. I think nearly that many (if not more) people go to the football as that, and millions more watch it from home whereas I don't think people watch a weekly church service from home (unless you could Songs of Praise and it's (at peak) 12 viewers).

That's a comedy sketch in its own right!

I'll get a load of mates together and we'll stand outside a church in football shirts ... Waiting for the 12 people that turn up ...

WHO ARE YA! WHO ARE YA?
WHERE'D YOU PARK YOUR MINI BUS?

For the record I dislike footy but it conjures a funny image Smile

[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
27-04-2014, 10:46 PM
(27-04-2014 10:27 PM)Sam Wrote:  [quote='Monster_Riffs' pid='555929' dateline='1398658121']

Hahaha yeah!

I was recently watching some old BBC talkshow footage on YouTube of the Monty Python team discussing Life of Brian with prominent church leaders of

Hundreds of spanish waiters, oh how I lol'd and lol'd Big Grin

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
28-04-2014, 04:56 AM
I wouldn't say the UK is quite at post-christian status politically yet, got to shed the bishops from House of Lords and remove the queen as (basically titular) head of the Anglican church.
[+] 2 users Like Dyer51's post
28-04-2014, 08:31 AM
(27-04-2014 10:42 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  

That's a comedy sketch in its own right!

I'll get a load of mates together and we'll stand outside a church in football shirts ... Waiting for the 12 people that turn up ...

WHO ARE YA! WHO ARE YA?
WHERE'D YOU PARK YOUR MINI BUS?

For the record I dislike footy but it conjures a funny image Smile

You'll have to come up with some good chants in preparation...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
28-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree with the archbishop. Now there's a phrase I never thought I'd utter.

I was actually just pondering how football has supplanted religion as the opiate of the masses.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks