Britains parliamentary debate regarding Trumps state visit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 12:40 AM
RE: Britains parliamentary debate regarding Trumps state visit.
Hmm, upon researching my wife's claim, I think she may have been taken in by a fake news site! Whoops Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 01:23 AM
(22-02-2017 10:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 10:34 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Meh, as you've said, Trump is a major tosser, but in the grand scheme of things, not nearly as bad as some of the other heads of state we've hosted. Dealing with other people who may or may not be scumbags are a part of life, and diplomacy. And I'm sure the queen will be able to cope with Trump and his particular brand of bigotry - she's married to Phil after all.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

True very true the queen will be able to handle him just fine, its just the image it projects to the rest of the world I struggle with. On the question of other unsavoury individuals being entertained by the monarch there a some very interesting points raised against this in the debate about half way down the transcript.
Read the full transcript last night. Found the info about who is involved in permitting a state visit interesting. Like a lot if others I'd assumed May had offered it first and tried to square it later, but it looks as though prior agreement was obtained first (including from the royal household). Given that the title of the petition being debated was along the lines of 'downgrade the state visit because Liz might get embarrassed' I'd say that the petition failed on that ground. Thought there were good points made on both sides, and some of those comments, particularly at the start, are hilarious! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
23-02-2017, 01:26 AM
(23-02-2017 12:21 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Fuck that dick potato. Keep him out.

I think it does have a lot to do with recognizing he's a moronic sociopath, and that denying him a visit could result in serious repercussions.

My wife said that there's an ancient English law which says that, in certain scenarios, the queen can lawfully kill such a visitor with a sword. (Yeah, I being serious!)
The petition was not for keeping him out, but for downgrading his visit from a state visit. From the transcript, even the MPs in favour of a downgrade, weren't necessarily in favour of keeping him out completely.
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
23-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Sure yeah, of course Smile I was being overly dramatic Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
23-02-2017, 01:58 AM
(23-02-2017 01:23 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Read the full transcript last night. Found the info about who is involved in permitting a state visit interesting. Like a lot if others I'd assumed May had offered it first and tried to square it later, but it looks as though prior agreement was obtained first (including from the royal household). Given that the title of the petition being debated was along the lines of 'downgrade the state visit because Liz might get embarrassed' I'd say that the petition failed on that ground. Thought there were good points made on both sides, and some of those comments, particularly at the start, are hilarious! Big Grin

I don't know (or care) about the Queen but if the state visit goes ahead it will certainly embarrass me. He should definitely not address Parliament - our MPs should get on with their own jobs and not waste time kissing Trump's arse.

Wasn't one of the reasons many people voted for Brexit was to take measures to keep dangerous foreigners out of the UK?
[+] 4 users Like Norm Deplume's post
23-02-2017, 02:10 AM
No, we voted to keep all foreigners out Tongue

And to kick out anyone who looks a bit foreign. Britain for the British!

23-02-2017, 02:23 AM
Tommies first! Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
23-02-2017, 04:00 AM
(23-02-2017 01:58 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  I don't know (or care) about the Queen but if the state visit goes ahead it will certainly embarrass me. He should definitely not address Parliament - our MPs should get on with their own jobs and not waste time kissing Trump's arse.

My view is that if not for the queen, there isn't really a whole lit of difference between a 'normal' visit and a state visit. Before this petition I doubt you'd find many British people who could tell you what the difference was, and even now I don't think many from outside the UK could tell you, or even care. I view the state visit vs 'normal' visit as a bit of a storm in a teacup tbh.

I think visit vs no visit would have been a more interesting debate, but ultimately that I think that we should not ban him from an official visit (and if he is to visit I don't very much care if it is a state visit or not).

I don't think the 'special relationship' or the economic arguments in favour of a visit hold much water ( I am of the opinion that the 'special relationship' exists as a sound bite only, and why on earth would anyone believe Trump when he says the UK will be at 'the front of the queue' in trade deals, he's a master of telling people what they want to hear -plus I don't necessarily think it is wise to rush into trade deals with bigger economic nations until we know the outcome of the Brexit negotiations in any case).

I just think that, as a democratically elected leader of a nation, there is no significant reason not to, even if it does come across as May looking a bit desperate.

Quote:Wasn't one of the reasons many people voted for Brexit was to take measures to keep dangerous foreigners out of the UK?

Ha yes, for some no doubt. But I'd imagine that for those same people Trump is exactly the sort of person they want to come. He's the 'right' colour for a start (if you count orange as a shade of white) and endorses many of the same values Rolleyes
23-02-2017, 04:00 AM
(23-02-2017 01:58 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 01:23 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  Read the full transcript last night. Found the info about who is involved in permitting a state visit interesting. Like a lot if others I'd assumed May had offered it first and tried to square it later, but it looks as though prior agreement was obtained first (including from the royal household). Given that the title of the petition being debated was along the lines of 'downgrade the state visit because Liz might get embarrassed' I'd say that the petition failed on that ground. Thought there were good points made on both sides, and some of those comments, particularly at the start, are hilarious! Big Grin

I don't know (or care) about the Queen but if the state visit goes ahead it will certainly embarrass me. He should definitely not address Parliament - our MPs should get on with their own jobs and not waste time kissing Trump's arse.

Wasn't one of the reasons many people voted for Brexit was to take measures to keep dangerous foreigners out of the UK?
We are nothing more than Trumps obedient whore...... You know...... The type that likes their pussy grabbed and being pissed on in posh hotel rooms. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
23-02-2017, 04:41 AM
Uh...

You wankers in London can just, you know, keep him.

For realsies.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post