British Antarctic Survey studies on West Antarctic Glaciers collapsing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 07:24 PM
British Antarctic Survey studies on West Antarctic Glaciers collapsing.
An excerpt from an article I read. Scientist studies discover Glacier Collapsing in West Antarctic is nothing new.

Quote:Despite hype by environmentalists and many media outlets, the slow collapse of major glaciers in western Antarctica is nothing new, according to scientists. The warming and cooling in the South Pole is well in line with historical trends dating back thousands of years.

The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) has released two major studies in the last year that have shed light on western Antarctic collapsing glaciers — both of which show that the thinning sea ice in the western south pole is nothing new.

A BAS study released in February found that 8,000 years ago Antarctica’s Pine Island glacier thinned just as fast as it has in recent decades. This happened thousands of years before the Industrial Revolution, which scientists and environmentalists blame for releasing massive amounts of carbon dioxide emissions that have warmed the atmosphere.

Full Story

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2014, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 08:24 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: British Antarctic Survey studies on West Antarctic Glaciers collapsing.
(28-05-2014 07:24 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  An excerpt from an article I read. Scientist studies discover Glacier Collapsing in West Antarctic is nothing new.

Quote:Despite hype by environmentalists and many media outlets, the slow collapse of major glaciers in western Antarctica is nothing new, according to scientists. The warming and cooling in the South Pole is well in line with historical trends dating back thousands of years.

The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) has released two major studies in the last year that have shed light on western Antarctic collapsing glaciers — both of which show that the thinning sea ice in the western south pole is nothing new.

A BAS study released in February found that 8,000 years ago Antarctica’s Pine Island glacier thinned just as fast as it has in recent decades. This happened thousands of years before the Industrial Revolution, which scientists and environmentalists blame for releasing massive amounts of carbon dioxide emissions that have warmed the atmosphere.

Full Story

It's also a politically conservative website which will probably have a vested interest in providing articles that cast doubt on climate change. With that being said, the scientists in the study never said ANYTHING about this being evidence that human factors WEREN'T contributing this time around. This was a press release statement that was linked in the article from the lead of the scientific survey team:

“Our geological data show us the history of Pine Island Glacier in greater detail than ever before. The fact that it thinned so rapidly in the past demonstrates how sensitive it is to environmental change; small changes can produce dramatic and long-lasting results. Based on what we know, we can expect the rapid ice loss to continue for a long time yet, especially if ocean-driven melting of the ice shelf in front of Pine Island Glacier continues at current rates.”

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/press/press_...hp?id=2514

That statement neither confirms man-made climate change, nor denies it as a possible contributing factor. That was an interpretation of the reporter, and it was biased and unjustified.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
28-05-2014, 08:14 PM
(28-05-2014 07:24 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  An excerpt from an article I read. Scientist studies discover Glacier Collapsing in West Antarctic is nothing new.

Of course it's nothing new. The planet has gone from fully glaciated to no polar caps at all.

It's new in human history, mind.

Your source is highly dishonest, by the way. It's staggeringly disingenuous to editorialise "similar things have happened before" into "therefore we have nothing to do with it and it won't cause any problems". So there's that.

The actual main point of the direct press release was an emphasis on volatility. Although so far the effects are not unprecedented in recent history - as selectively quoted by the secondary source - what is left unstated is that human-driven inputs will continue to dramatically increase for several more decades at minimum.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
28-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I just saw the story on Yahoo News, I guess that just makes it less credible too.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
28-05-2014, 08:31 PM
(28-05-2014 08:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I just saw the story on Yahoo News, I guess that just makes it less credible too.

Not really; Yahoo's just an aggregator for the most part.

S'just that anyone (*cough* your link in the OP *cough*) ranting about "left-wing media" probably needn't be taken seriously.
(even if they weren't climate conspiracists)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-05-2014, 08:37 PM
(28-05-2014 08:12 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  

Full Story

It's also a politically conservative website which will probably have a vested interest in providing articles that cast doubt on climate change. With that being said, the scientists in the study never said ANYTHING about this being evidence that human factors WEREN'T contributing this time around. This was a press release statement that was linked in the article from the lead of the scientific survey team:

“Our geological data show us the history of Pine Island Glacier in greater detail than ever before. The fact that it thinned so rapidly in the past demonstrates how sensitive it is to environmental change; small changes can produce dramatic and long-lasting results. Based on what we know, we can expect the rapid ice loss to continue for a long time yet, especially if ocean-driven melting of the ice shelf in front of Pine Island Glacier continues at current rates.”

That statement neither confirms man-made climate change, nor denies it as a possible contributing factor. That was an interpretation of the reporter, and it was biased and unjustified.

(28-05-2014 08:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Of course it's nothing new. The planet has gone from fully glaciated to no polar caps at all.

Your source is highly dishonest, by the way. It's staggeringly disingenuous to editorialise "similar things have happened before" into "therefore we have nothing to do with it and it won't cause any problems". So there's that.

The actual main point of the direct press release was an emphasis on volatility. Although so far the effects are not unprecedented in recent history - as selectively quoted by the secondary source - what is left unstated is that human-driven inputs will continue to dramatically increase for several more decades at minimum.

Thank you guys for pointing this stuff out, i'll be sure to double check the sources next time I post about something.

29-05-2014, 07:30 AM
(28-05-2014 08:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 08:12 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It's also a politically conservative website which will probably have a vested interest in providing articles that cast doubt on climate change. With that being said, the scientists in the study never said ANYTHING about this being evidence that human factors WEREN'T contributing this time around. This was a press release statement that was linked in the article from the lead of the scientific survey team:

(28-05-2014 08:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Of course it's nothing new. The planet has gone from fully glaciated to no polar caps at all.

Thank you guys for pointing this stuff out, i'll be sure to double check the sources next time I post about something.

It's not so much the sources need checking, one needs to read critically.

The false implications in the article should leap off the page - they are that egregious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2014, 06:28 PM
(29-05-2014 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 08:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Thank you guys for pointing this stuff out, i'll be sure to double check the sources next time I post about something.

It's not so much the sources need checking, one needs to read critically.

The false implications in the article should leap off the page - they are that egregious.

That's true now that I re-read it. Will make sure the next articles are solid before sharing.

29-05-2014, 08:06 PM
(29-05-2014 06:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  That's true now that I re-read it. Will make sure the next articles are solid before sharing.

You're good, dude. Posting stuff like that here is a good way of getting a skeptical opinion on the matter. That's what you got. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post