British Comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 06:00 PM by Red Celt.)
British Comedy
Someone (an American, I believe) recently besmirched British comedy... suggesting that it wasn't actually funny. This preposterous claim cannot go unchallenged, so I'm offering the following classic examples. Monty Python certainly crossed the Atlantic, but not all of these are likely to have caught your attention. If you can order them on Amazon, I'd highly recommend the extravagance of purchasing them. Oh, there's a bit of Irish in there, too. Keep an eye out for the late great Dave Allen.

There's others, but this post is getting a bit long. I think that my point has been made. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 05:41 PM
British Comedy
One of my closest friends is from the UK, and in spite of evidence I've given her from this site, she refuses to find anything closely related to Monty Python as funny and insists that only Americans find it funny. She also thinks Doctor Who is dumb.

Why we are friends, I have to often wonder. No

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
19-08-2012, 05:48 PM
RE: British Comedy
Holy shit - Father Ted!! I have a bunch of Ted on pirated video. Tongue

My favorite is the one where Ted and Dougal went on holiday and they had some kind of time share caravan with that Priest played by Graham Norton. They got the share dates mixed and so the other Priest shows up in this tiny caravan with a youth group. For entertainment he suggests they show Ted & Dougal their River Dancing routines. I laughed so much my face hurt after watching that one.

And yea - I have as much Blackadder as is available. Of course there's French & Saunders and Ab Fab. I'll date myself and say Alas Smith & Jones, Young Ones, and uh... BOOSH!

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry but this is Exhibit A for British comedy.

[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
19-08-2012, 06:00 PM
UK+Irish comedy>US comedy.
19-08-2012, 06:04 PM
(19-08-2012 05:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Holy shit - Father Ted!! I have a bunch of Ted on pirated video. Tongue

My favorite is the one where Ted and Dougal went on holiday and they had some kind of time share caravan with that Priest played by Graham Norton. They got the share dates mixed and so the other Priest shows up in this tiny caravan with a youth group. For entertainment he suggests they show Ted & Dougal their River Dancing routines. I laughed so much my face hurt after watching that one.

And yea - I have as much Blackadder as is available. Of course there's French & Saunders and Ab Fab. I'll date myself and say Alas Smith & Jones, Young Ones, and uh... BOOSH!

Best bit of the episode.

[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
19-08-2012, 06:06 PM
(19-08-2012 05:51 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Sorry but this is Exhibit A for British comedy.

Well, I was trying to present something other than Monty Python. Some people (astoundingly) don't find it funny.
19-08-2012, 06:08 PM
British Comedy
Young Ones...good college memories of hanging out with people I can't remember. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
I saw Dave Allen live in Toronto some years ago. I nearly peed my pants.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
(19-08-2012 05:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Holy shit - Father Ted!! I have a bunch of Ted on pirated video. Tongue

Holy shit, Kim, I take my hat off to your knowledge of Comedy Britannia... and Comedy Hibernia.