British Comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: British Comedy
(19-08-2012 05:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Holy shit - Father Ted!! I have a bunch of Ted on pirated video. Tongue

My favorite is the one where Ted and Dougal went on holiday and they had some kind of time share caravan with that Priest played by Graham Norton. They got the share dates mixed and so the other Priest shows up in this tiny caravan with a youth group. For entertainment he suggests they show Ted & Dougal their River Dancing routines. I laughed so much my face hurt after watching that one.

And yea - I have as much Blackadder as is available. Of course there's French & Saunders and Ab Fab. I'll date myself and say Alas Smith & Jones, Young Ones, and uh... BOOSH!

I remember well that Father Ted, mainly cos I think it's the one when Ted was teaching Dougal about perspective... holding up a toy cow comparing it to a real cow in the field ... "small, far away"

Edit: Dang! Scotty beat me too it!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-08-2012, 06:10 PM
(19-08-2012 06:06 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 05:51 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Sorry but this is Exhibit A for British comedy.

Well, I was trying to present something other than Monty Python. Some people (astoundingly) don't find it funny.

I've met some of those poor, dim people. Sad, really.Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 06:13 PM
(19-08-2012 06:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I remember well that Father Ted, mainly cos I think it's the one when Ted was teaching Dougal about perspective... holding up a toy cow comparing it to a real cow in the field ... "small, far away"

Edit: Dang! Scotty beat me too it!

I bought the Father Ted box set shortly before I did a tour of Scotland in a campervan. I have fond memories, parked in a lay-by in remote parts of the Highlands watching episodes of Father Ted.
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Love, love, love British humour. Got all the Black Adder DVD's and want to get the Father Ted vids soon. Mrs Browns Boys has been airing here of late. Funny stuff, that, Gov! Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
19-08-2012, 06:18 PM
(19-08-2012 06:00 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  UK+Irish comedy>US comedy.

Don't know... I think it comes and goes in waves. Comedy show wise, you guys ruled in the 70s and we finally got smart to it - WKRP pulled the US out of the doldrums and then came Cheers to get us through the Reagan years.

Then the cable years with Garry Shandling's show Larry Sanders and then of course, Roseanne, Seinfeld, and finally Friends.. there were tons of others but I didn't get to watch much TV in the 80s & 90s, so suck to remember names.

But now, it seems there's shit to watch over here, while you guys have Graham Norton and I can not live without Qi, and uh... BOOSH! Tongue

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I was hoping that some of you Americans would be a bit surprised in the Blackadder clip, seeing Dr Greg House acting as a terrible defence lawyer (to Mr Bean) with a judge who played a psychiatrist in a couple of episodes of Bones. Or perhaps Stephen Fry is better known than that. He'll appear in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.

The One Foot in the Grave episode took place entirely in that same scene. A masterpiece of comedic writing… and the box set takes pride of place in my DVD collection. Superbly funny stuff… possibly because I have a bit of Victor Meldrew in me. Oh, and the mechanic singing the song is Eric Idle (who also recorded the theme tune).

Only Fools and Horses is another classic. I'll own the box set when the price has dropped a little more (and my income increases a little more). That batman and robin scene featured in the closing ceremony of the Olympics.

Black Books is difficult to appreciate in such a short clip, but it features Dylan Moran (a great stand-up comedian) and has gathered a cult following.
19-08-2012, 06:24 PM
(19-08-2012 06:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Don't know... I think it comes and goes in waves. Comedy show wise, you guys ruled in the 70s and we finally got smart to it - WKRP pulled the US out of the doldrums and then came Cheers to get us through the Reagan years.

Then the cable years with Garry Shandling's show Larry Sanders and then of course, Roseanne, Seinfeld, and finally Friends.. there were tons of others but I didn't get to watch much TV in the 80s & 90s, so suck to remember names.

But now, it seems there's shit to watch over here, while you guys have Graham Norton and I can not live without Qi, and uh... BOOSH! Tongue

Friends was the only one i've seen most of. Mostly because it was repeated so much. It was ok wasn't laugh out loud funny. Can't comment on the others though.
19-08-2012, 06:36 PM
(19-08-2012 06:24 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Don't know... I think it comes and goes in waves. Comedy show wise, you guys ruled in the 70s and we finally got smart to it - WKRP pulled the US out of the doldrums and then came Cheers to get us through the Reagan years.

Friends was the only one i've seen most of. Mostly because it was repeated so much. It was ok wasn't laugh out loud funny. Can't comment on the others though.

Ditto.
Never heard of WKRP and I didn't watch Sanders or Seinfeld.

Great post though, Mr Celt.
You've reminded me that I left my Black Books DVDs with a friend in Malaysia. Must get them back!

No offense intended but I didn't like One Foot... or Fools and Horses... or Fawlty Towers or The Office. I appreciate "cringe" humour in small bites but could never sit though a whole episode. And even Python was hit/miss.

Mitchell and Webb rock! I didn't know about this one so I'm much obliged. I remember them from Peep Show and Radio 4. I loved that Brain Surgery sketch... even though you know exactly what's coming, you can't help smiling. Timing is everything.

Do you remember Absolutely (early Chanel 4 production; Calum Gilhooley etc.)?

19-08-2012, 06:38 PM
(19-08-2012 06:24 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Friends was the only one i've seen most of. Mostly because it was repeated so much. It was ok wasn't laugh out loud funny. Can't comment on the others though.

Honestly - I never got into Friends - I just know it was popular... bout the time I gave up TV completely.

All I do now is rent DVDs which could be why I've seen so much UK stuff.

I think most Americans know and love Cheers pretty well. And in some parts, WKRP is spoken of with a kind of reverence for the people who remember it.

Woah - how did I forget MASH, Bob Newhart -both 70s & 80s versions, Mary Tyler Moore Show? Hmm.

I've been meaning to ask you UK folk - anyone remember The Double Deckers? Yea... I'm old. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-08-2012, 06:46 PM
(19-08-2012 06:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:24 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Friends was the only one i've seen most of. Mostly because it was repeated so much. It was ok wasn't laugh out loud funny. Can't comment on the others though.

Honestly - I never got into Friends - I just know it was popular... bout the time I gave up TV completely.

All I do now is rent DVDs which could be why I've seen so much UK stuff.

I think most Americans know and love Cheers pretty well. And in some parts, WKRP is spoken of with a kind of reverence for the people who remember it.

Woah - how did I forget MASH, Bob Newhart -both 70s & 80s versions, Mary Tyler Moore Show? Hmm.

I've been meaning to ask you UK folk - anyone remember The Double Deckers? Yea... I'm old. Shy

Was that (the Double Deckers) a kid's show? I think I do recall.
My parents wouldn't let me watch MASH! Sadcryface2

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post