British Comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 06:51 PM
RE: British Comedy
(19-08-2012 06:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Was that (the Double Deckers) a kid's show? I think I do recall.

Yep - kids show - I was obsessed with it as a kid. Crap, I'm such a retard; I still want to live in a double decker bus. Shy Laughat

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 06:55 PM
(19-08-2012 06:51 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Was that (the Double Deckers) a kid's show? I think I do recall.

Yep - kids show - I was obsessed with it as a kid. Crap, I'm such a retard; I still want to live in a double decker bus. Shy Laughat

Kim, that was my favourite childhood show. It was screened over there?

We are both old. I hope that you realise that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 06:57 PM
(19-08-2012 06:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  No offense intended but I didn't like One Foot... or Fools and Horses... or Fawlty Towers or The Office.

Now I'm disowning you. Sadcryface2

But I know what you mean about cringe comedy. The Office could be a bit painful to watch... whilst still funny.
19-08-2012, 06:57 PM
(19-08-2012 06:51 PM)kim Wrote:  

Was that really what you liked about the show... the accommodation?

Or was it by any chance the lack of any discernible authority figure? No parents... no gods... Consider

... another piece in the Kim-jigsaw.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-08-2012, 07:00 PM
(19-08-2012 06:57 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Now I'm disowning you.

Oh, woe is me, to be orphaned at such a tender age. How will I survive?

19-08-2012, 07:04 PM
(19-08-2012 06:55 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Yep - kids show - I was obsessed with it as a kid. Crap, I'm such a retard; I still want to live in a double decker bus. Shy Laughat

Kim, that was my favourite childhood show. It was screened over there?

Yea - I lived in a town which housed an Air Force base until Saigon fell in the mid 70s, so I think we had a lot of unusual stuff piped in on the weekends. I used to watch French cartoons a lot - in French.

Ha - I'm 3 years older than DLJ - so technically, he's old, too. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-08-2012, 07:09 PM
(19-08-2012 06:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Yep - kids show - I was obsessed with it as a kid. Crap, I'm such a retard; I still want to live in a double decker bus. Shy Laughat

Was that really what you liked about the show... the accommodation?

Or was it by any chance the lack of any discernible authority figure? No parents... no gods... Consider

... another piece in the Kim-jigsaw.

You know... I was thinking about that! Consider
It's possible that show may have helped stem off any indoctrination I could have offhandedly encountered. I distinctively recall my Mom asking once, if I wanted to go to church with them one Sunday morning... and I said I couldn't because I would miss Double Deckers. So... Yea. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-08-2012, 07:16 PM
(19-08-2012 06:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Do you remember Absolutely (early Chanel 4 production; Calum Gilhooley etc.)?

Sorry, I meant to reply to this. Yes, I remember Absolutely. I basically raised myself on comedy. There is very little that I would have missed, over the years.

And Cheers was excellently written.
19-08-2012, 07:25 PM
(19-08-2012 07:04 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:55 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Kim, that was my favourite childhood show. It was screened over there?

Yea - I lived in a town which housed an Air Force base until Saigon fell in the mid 70s, so I think we had a lot of unusual stuff piped in on the weekends. I used to watch French cartoons a lot - in French.

Ha - I'm 3 years older than DLJ - so technically, he's old, too. Thumbsup

Shhhh!

They say you are as old as the woman you feel!

not added together, I hope

19-08-2012, 08:11 PM
British Comedy
(19-08-2012 06:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:38 PM)kim Wrote:  Honestly - I never got into Friends - I just know it was popular... bout the time I gave up TV completely.

All I do now is rent DVDs which could be why I've seen so much UK stuff.

I think most Americans know and love Cheers pretty well. And in some parts, WKRP is spoken of with a kind of reverence for the people who remember it.

Woah - how did I forget MASH, Bob Newhart -both 70s & 80s versions, Mary Tyler Moore Show? Hmm.

I've been meaning to ask you UK folk - anyone remember The Double Deckers? Yea... I'm old. Shy

Was that (the Double Deckers) a kid's show? I think I do recall.
My parents wouldn't let me watch MASH! Sadcryface2

Tongue

My parents banned MASH in our home because it was originally a rated R movie and it allegedly glamorized the evils of pre- and extra-marital sex.
As it was nearing the end of its run, someone convinced my dad that it was probably the only TV show that actually had a good moral to the story. Somehow that made it okay or something. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My