British Comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 08:26 PM
RE: British Comedy
(19-08-2012 08:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  As it was nearing the end of its run, someone convinced my dad that it was probably the only TV show that actually had a good moral to the story. Somehow that made it okay or something. Dodgy

If his first experience of MASH was the one that included the song "Suicide is Painless" I'd have laughed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 09:00 PM
(19-08-2012 08:26 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 08:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  As it was nearing the end of its run, someone convinced my dad that it was probably the only TV show that actually had a good moral to the story. Somehow that made it okay or something. Dodgy

If his first experience of MASH was the one that included the song "Suicide is Painless" I'd have laughed.

From those other famously red celts...

Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 09:03 PM
(19-08-2012 06:38 PM)kim Wrote:  Bob Newhart

19-08-2012, 09:05 PM
(19-08-2012 09:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  From those other famously red celts...

MSP are red? In what sense?
19-08-2012, 09:33 PM
(19-08-2012 09:05 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 09:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  From those other famously red celts...

MSP are red? In what sense?

Politics.
And rugby, probably.

21-08-2012, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2012 02:11 AM by Filox.)
People who do not like British comedy are humour-retarded. I respect only 2 American shows and acknowledge them in the same class as all other British. Seinfeld and Married With Children. All others are not in the same league and everyone who claims differently has some serious problems. OK, M.A.S.H. is pretty good, old-school show as well, although I like the movie better...

'Alo 'Alo is my favourite British show, the way they did all that accents and dialogues is just superb.

A question: Why do you people think House MD is such a great show?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-08-2012, 02:22 AM
(21-08-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  Seinfeld and Married With Children.

I think that I'm going to have to have a look for some Married With Children torrents. I saw quite a few episodes, but it's possible that I missed some. Plus I haven't seen it in years.

Seinfeld... in one of the Top Sitcoms TV programmes, it listed 50 of the "best" sitcoms in descending order. Seinfeld was either number 1, or very close to it. And this was a UK TV programme. I'd never seen an episode of Seinfeld so (about 2 years ago) I downloaded every episode and started working my way through them.

I could see why it was so highly rated, but it certainly wouldn't rank as my favourite ever sitcom. I just couldn't like any of the characters. In the very last episode, when they were in the prison cell, I was all "Yes! You deserve to be there, you inconsiderate fucks!" because, well, they really were. They were so ego-centric and consistently foul towards everyone else, that I thought that it was a fitting and appropriate end for the show.

Funnily enough, I absolutely love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

(21-08-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  'Alo 'Alo is my favourite British show, the way they did all that accents and dialogues is just superb.

I'll disagree with you on that one. When it first started, I loved it... but the jokes grew very old, very quickly. The fallen madonna with the big boobies? Amusing the first time, but the 101st time... not so much.

(21-08-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  A question: Why do you people think House MD is such a great show?

Because it was so well written? And with intelligence? But, mainly, because House was such a massive antidote to all of the sickly-sweet American shows that preceded it, where the show always ended with a moral and that everyone, everywhere, had some good in them. House was very different. An atheist and a skeptic who concentrated on honesty more than feelings. Except for when he was being dishonest, but that was usually for comedic purposes. Or to score Vicodin.

I loved it. Although, after a while, I got fed up with all of the medical stories intruding on the characters themselves. Yeah, it's lupis, now shut up... House is about to be funny, again.
21-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Still Game... top Scottish comedy. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
21-08-2012, 03:00 AM
(21-08-2012 02:45 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Still Game... top Scottish comedy. Wink

Superb stuff. I've never seen Still Game. Where are you from, frankiej?
21-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Scotland. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stand-Up Comedy jkshrout 7 839 09-10-2010 09:25 AM