British Home Children in Canada

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2015, 04:19 PM
British Home Children in Canada
I'm not sure if this is in the right area and if so please redirect this thread.

My brother and I are trying to track down my mother's place of origin. She died 16 years ago but during her 80 years of living she was always challenged by documenting her birth and parents. It was always a mystery to her and us kids as to where she came from. Her earliest memories are living in Canada though she didn't remember much before the age of 7 or so and she grew up in Alberta in a small town.

In doing a search, and I mean we've searched everywhere, my brother learned about the sending of orphaned children and babies to Canada from the UK to work as indentured farm workers and domestic workers. This happened between the years of 1860 to 1948. Often these were children of very poor people who couldn't take care of the child.

http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/

This might be where my mother came from. Her Canadian "mother" rejected her when she was around 4 years old and she was sent elsewhere in Canada. She didn't remember where this "mother" lived but she thought is was in Winnipeg.

She was finally unofficially adopted by a railroad engineer who was always traveling across Canada on the railroad so he left her with housekeepers. Unfortunately, the housekeepers would treat her badly or they would skip town with the money they got paid to take care of her and just leave her by herself. She would wander along the railroad tracks and pick up coal that had fallen off the trains and eat the coal. This actually saved her life, coal has minerals in it. She would also follow funeral processions and go the the wakes so she could eat food.

The website has a form to fill out to find a British Home Child but we don't have much to go on.

I'm wondering if any of you Canadians have any experience with the British Home Children group or if any of your relatives were part of this horrible treatment of children.

This would sure explain so much about my mother if it turned out to be true.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply