Replace with politician 35.71% 5 35.71%
Total 14 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

British Royal Family Keep or Replace?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
27-11-2013, 04:34 AM
British Royal Family Keep or Replace?
I am glad there is a nice mix of nationalities here, with a wide range of views.

There is much discussion, regularly, globally about the role of the British royal family in the commonwealth and the role as head of state for GB.

With Scotland trying to declare independance (with them completely forgetting the british RF are technically Scottish heritage more or less since the hanover dynasty stem from the Stuarts) I feel the importance of a head of state is a question to be raised.

I am a royalist, I want the Royal family there, I want them because i dont want any more f*cking politicians.. They occupy a ceremonial position only, the powers she has is that she can dissolve parliament, she can sack a prime minister, she can break a treaty, she can declare war, etc. The only specific laws I know of that restrict her power are that she can not raise an army on her behalf, that she can not raise taxes on her behalf, and that she can not make and enforce any new law.

Nothing there would be done without the best politicians advice.

What she is paid, is reasonable, compared to the costs involved with having a politician head of state (some say obama is costing up to 20 times what the royal family cost).

I understand that getting rid of the queen would save taxpayers money, but then the replacement would drain it again, as much if not more to do the same job (and pull in a LOT less tourism and kudo's).

I cannot find reasonable evidence to begin to understand the republican point of view on this, I hope y'all could help point out why when we have 30% voter turnout, we need to replace a figurehead, with an elected figurehead and for what reasons.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2013, 05:44 AM
RE: British Royal Family Keep or Replace?
I like that the gov has that nagging worry the royals may use mobrules (Popular grievance) And dissolve them.
Keeps them sort of honest.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
27-11-2013, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2013 08:28 AM by Caveman.)
The only reason to keep the royal family is financial:

So I'd say: seize their property, give them a couple of tiny abandoned houses with farmland and forget about them.
Great solution for all those who think they are better than us by birthright.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 4 users Like Caveman's post
27-11-2013, 06:00 AM
I cannot deny the ROI (anglo-french pun intended) but it's the concept I have a problem with.

It's elitist and that is shit.

It smacks of in-groupiness and inner sanctums and club-houses.

That is all.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-11-2013, 06:35 AM
The royal family have no power BUT/HOWEVER/EXCEPT......

Its a pointless tradition having the royals and I am allowed to say that because I was born in the UK Drinking Beverage

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-11-2013, 07:05 AM
(27-11-2013 06:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I cannot deny the ROI (anglo-french pun intended) but it's the concept I have a problem with.

It's elitist and that is shit.

It smacks of in-groupiness and inner sanctums and club-houses.

That is all.

The ROI is the only thing that's important. There is no other advertising scheme with THAT high an ad ROI anywhere. Billions of tourism for a few mil outlay. It's a positive cost center. The Civil List could maybe be cut further, (??) but they'd be idiots to dump the best ad scheme ever. The rest is irrelevant. All that matters is the bottom line. It's going nowhere (in Britain anyway) in our lifetimes. It's very popular.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Replace? I think you mean end the institution, and yes. It sucks resources that could be used for jobs and education.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2013, 07:23 AM
There would be FAR LESS "resources" to use for anything, without it.
It BRINGS IN a LOT more than it costs. If someone has a BETTER, or more profitable scheme to bring in tourist $$, lets hear it.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I would be interested in seeing evidence to show that having a royal family actually brings in tourism and money.

I find it hard to believe that the deciding factor for most tourists visiting the UK is because we have a royal family. I understand there is tacky and pointless merchandising, but you can put almost anything on it and people will still buy the shit.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-11-2013, 07:32 AM
(27-11-2013 07:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  I would be interested in seeing evidence to show that having a royal family actually brings in tourism and money.

I find it hard to believe that the deciding factor for most tourists visiting the UK is because we have a royal family. I understand there is tacky and pointless merchandising, but you can put almost anything on it and people will still buy the shit.

Google is your friend. There are multiple studies that address your questions.
"Most" tourists is irrelevant. "Tourists with $" is all that matters. It's a positive cost center. You got a better idea ?