Keep Royal Family 64.29% 9 64.29%
Replace with politician 35.71% 5 35.71%
Total 14 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

British Royal Family Keep or Replace?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
27-11-2013, 08:10 PM
RE: British Royal Family Keep or Replace?
(27-11-2013 07:27 PM)Caveman Wrote:  
(27-11-2013 06:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Being the Queen is a full time job. Meeting people, greeting people, doing official business, going to every event ever etc..
This might not seem like a job to some but it certainly is. You shake hands with people for 8 hours a day and see how you like it.

And I don't believe the Queen considers herself better than everyone. She seems like a very down to earth nice old lady who would gladly shake your hand.
She's dedicated her whole life to the Job... At least CEO's and Politicians can retire and play golf all day.
What if she wanted to be a dancer or something? Opps sorry, you gotta be the official figurehead for an entire empire (or fading one at that).

It's not these people's fault that they were born into the family they were, but don't just automatically assume they think they're better than us. You haven't met them.

You say fulltime job and proceed listing: meeting people, saying hi and going to parties.

She can retire whenever she wants, happened before, but wasn't too great for image, started people thinking, which is terrible in a monarchy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII...ion_crisis
Plus: she is known as an ice-hearted bitch, the entire reason Diana divorced Charles and died.

No, I haven't met them, I'm but a mere pauper. And they can't help it, sure they can: they can abdicate.

But power corrupts.
Compromis: do what Bill Gates did and pledge to give everything away when you die.

I don't think the "Power Corrupts" argument can be used here; aside from being a pointless ceremonial figurehead, last I checked the Royals have very little power compared to their ancestry and the families they took the throne from, as such there isn't really any power to corrupt. Of course there is the fairly pompous idea of royal lineage to prop them up, but from what I've seen, they don't seem hyper-pompous, or at least the ol' Queen isn't that way so it seems, from what I have seen, she has in a way, earned some respect from me actually, given her 'order' to former PM Gillard to reform Australia into a Republic; the one order from the Crown I personally would follow.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2013, 08:16 PM
(27-11-2013 07:27 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Compromis: do what Bill Gates did and pledge to give everything away when you die.

Huh? Did you even watch the video that YOU YOURSELF just posted? The Queen's property generates 160m/year revenue, and operating costs are "only" 40m/year, turning a net profit of 120m/year, ALL OF WHICH she gives to the government. She doesn't have to. She could keep that 120m/year profit herself, and after her 60 years or so, that'd be worth tens of billions! But she gives it all away, and as a result, she's "only" worth 200m, not even enough to put her on the Forbes list.

Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, et al agreed to give away only 50% of their money and ONLY after they're dead and can't spend it. So how much of your income do you give away that you have the right to look down on the Queen as too greedy?
27-11-2013, 08:33 PM
@Caveman, you're better than off than the vast majority of people in this world. (evident by the fact you have internet).
Do you choose to give up your whole life and give it to some starving African family and you take their life in some disease and famine ridden town?

No, didn't think so. Drinking Beverage

The point being, don't expect everyone to give up everything and climb down the ladder to your level... it's fucking selfish as shit and is entire pointless.
It's funny how human nature at times works. People would rather other people be poor because they're poor, rather than get off their ass and do something about them being poor if they're so worked up by it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I say off with her head. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-11-2013, 03:58 AM
(27-11-2013 03:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-11-2013 04:34 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  With Scotland trying to declare independance (with them completely forgetting the british RF are technically Scottish heritage more or less since the hanover dynasty stem from the Stuarts) I feel the importance of a head of state is a question to be raised.

I don't think so - the RF is German, not Scottish. The Hanovers succeeded the Stuarts, they don't stem from them.

The first hannovarian, was George I, who was the great grandson of James VI of scotland/James I of England (same person) and this was after the act of union by a Stuart monarch (Queen Anne).

To be fair, during the war of the roses, the throne moved between so many people it is very confusing. But what essentially came from it was a welsh royal family (the tudors) (mothers side), following to a scottish family (stuarts), then to a descendant of both in the hannovarians.

Look at prince harry, we all know gingers only come from scottish roots Wink hehe.
28-11-2013, 05:39 AM
(27-11-2013 08:16 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(27-11-2013 07:27 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Compromis: do what Bill Gates did and pledge to give everything away when you die.

Huh? Did you even watch the video that YOU YOURSELF just posted? The Queen's property generates 160m/year revenue, and operating costs are "only" 40m/year, turning a net profit of 120m/year, ALL OF WHICH she gives to the government. She doesn't have to. She could keep that 120m/year profit herself, and after her 60 years or so, that'd be worth tens of billions! But she gives it all away, and as a result, she's "only" worth 200m, not even enough to put her on the Forbes list.

Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, et al agreed to give away only 50% of their money and ONLY after they're dead and can't spend it. So how much of your income do you give away that you have the right to look down on the Queen as too greedy?

Wrong again, she inherited that too, taxfree probably. When you and I die almost half goes to estate tax.
Didn't have to an honest days work for that either.
More unequal treatment.
Worth 200 million? That's bullshit. It's the exact figure the dutch and belgian royal families give too.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
28-11-2013, 05:43 AM
(27-11-2013 08:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Caveman, you're better than off than the vast majority of people in this world. (evident by the fact you have internet).
Do you choose to give up your whole life and give it to some starving African family and you take their life in some disease and famine ridden town?

No, didn't think so. Drinking Beverage

The point being, don't expect everyone to give up everything and climb down the ladder to your level... it's fucking selfish as shit and is entire pointless.
It's funny how human nature at times works. People would rather other people be poor because they're poor, rather than get off their ass and do something about them being poor if they're so worked up by it.

I have food on my table 29 days a month, yeah, better than many. But I work every single day for it and have never claimed it as divine birthright.
I would give to charity if half didn't go to the taxman and the other half in the pocket of the NGO executive.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
28-11-2013, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 07:21 AM by sporehux.)
I bet all you haters are hypocrites , when you write that award winning Thesis and the queen offers a Knighthood/Damehood

Will you tell her to stick it ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-11-2013, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 07:25 AM by Free Thought.)
(28-11-2013 07:17 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I bet all you haters are hypocrites , when you write that award winning Thesis and the queen offers a Knighthood/Dame (daymed).
Will you tell her to stick it ?

I might accept, but only to be able to traditionally challenge other Knights to Trial by Combat or other forms of duels, for completely arbitrary reasons.

If I can't do that; I'm not a real Knight, and there's not a single reason to take it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-11-2013, 07:28 AM
(28-11-2013 07:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I might accept, but only to be able to traditionally challenge other Knights to Trial by Combat or other forms of duels, for completely arbitrary reasons.

If I can't do that; I'm not a real Knight, and there's not a single reason to take it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post