British colloquialisms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 02:49 AM
RE: British colloquialisms
(26-03-2017 01:33 PM)ukatheist Wrote:  Wanker/tosser/muppet - someone who is a bit of an idiot

Just seen this as well, thought it was worth explaining further:

To "wank" or "toss one off" is to masturbate, so calling somebody a wanker or a tosser, is an insult, implying they wank a lot. In this day and age, I'm not sure it's a massive insult anymore, when you really think about it, but it just seems to have carried the meaning over from when it was.

Then again, as with most things highly insulting, it can also be used as a term of endearment, normally with close friends.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
29-03-2017, 04:22 AM
OakTree500 Wrote:  Then again, as with most things highly insulting, it can also be used as a term of endearment, normally with close friends.

Is that a british thing, do you think, in order to express an endearment without being overtly sentimental?
Find all posts by this user
29-03-2017, 05:04 AM
Two blokes discussing an ugly woman.

I wouldn't touch her with your cock.

I'm not going to climb over you to get to her.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
29-03-2017, 05:15 AM
It's gone home. Meaning it's gone bad or rotten.

That's as tasteful as a shit sandwich.

Here in Lincolnshire couldn't is pronounced cunt. So a conversation could be
"I can do that."
"You cunt"
"Oh yes I can."

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
29-03-2017, 05:19 AM
(29-03-2017 04:22 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  
OakTree500 Wrote:  Then again, as with most things highly insulting, it can also be used as a term of endearment, normally with close friends.

Is that a british thing, do you think, in order to express an endearment without being overtly sentimental?

If anything I think its a remnant of being "manly" which carried over into our generation, which a lot of countries do, although for some reason in the UK it on whole different level of give/take as we sometimes do it on purpose to attempt to get the other person to react, all for a laugh, which seems really cruel but it's a good laugh....and you know who your friends are through this process as well. Laugh out load That and despite it being a "lad/bloke" thing to do at one time, it just became part of the culture and everybody is on board with trying to bring the "banter" these days haha.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Prat = vagina
Twat= also vagina
29-03-2017, 05:23 AM
I think my favorite Britishism is "pear-shaped" to describe something that didn't go as planned or got out of control.

If you want a good dose of British slang and humor watch "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels".

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-03-2017, 05:27 AM
(29-03-2017 05:23 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I think my favorite Britishism is "pear-shaped" to describe something that didn't go as planned or got out of control.

If you want a good dose of British slang and humor watch "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels".

If Vinnie Jones doesn't creep you out nothing will.
29-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Cup of Rosie lee = tea
29-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Chav = a sub class of person nearest American equivalent is probably trailer trash. Usually characterised by dress and behavior eg; enormous hoop earings large enough for a budgerigar to sit in, Burberry baseball caps and other accessories tracksuits and trainers, very common uncouth behaviour including phrases like "innit" and the inability to complete sentences without the words fuck and cunt, also predisposed to verbal and physical threats and violence.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post