British couple finally reveal gender of their 5 year old child.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 04:10 PM
British couple finally reveal gender of their 5 year old child.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/20/...ws#content

Europe - WORLD
British couple reveals sex of child they raised as ‘genderless’ for 5 years

Quote: SAWSTON, England -- A British couple who raised their child as "gender neutral" in a bid to break free from stereotyping revealed Friday that their five-year-old is a boy.

Beck Laxton and her partner Kieran, from Sawston in central England, referred to their son, Sasha, as "the infant" and dressed the youngster in ambiguous outfits to keep his sex a secret from friends and strangers.

They decided to tell people the child's gender after it became more difficult to conceal when he started pre-school.

Laxton, a 46-year-old web editor, told the Cambridge News of her reasons for raising a "genderless" child.

"I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," she said. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

Even the couple themselves chose not to discover whether Sasha was a boy or a girl until half an hour after his birth -- and in an email announcing the birth they simply told family and friends they "had a baby called Sasha."

"I don't think I'd do it if I thought it was going to make him unhappy, but at the moment he's not really bothered either way," she said. "All I want to do is make people think a bit."

The couple is happy to allow Sasha to wear flowery clothes -- and sent family and friends a Christmas card with a photo of the boy dressed in a pink fairy outfit.

Sasha is encouraged to play with gender-neutral toys in the family's television-free home, Laxton said.

A couple from Toronto hit the headlines in May last year when they refused to reveal the sex of their baby, Storm, as they wanted to raise the child "to be free of societal norms regarding gender."

Others here may disagree with me but this irritates the shit outta me. Why would you make an attempt to cover up something that has such a huge impact in who a person is. Gender is a very big part of the human psyche and by keeping your child and others around it from knowing what sex it is you could be doing significant damage to the child psycologically. Good think the secrets out now when he's 5 instead of when he's 15. Fucking idiot parents.

Also, although my opinion is negative towards this couple I don't in any way, shape, or form identify with the retards posting in the comments section of this article.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
20-01-2012, 04:37 PM
RE: British couple finally reveal gender of their 5 year old child.
I disagree simply based on the fact that the kid was used as an experiment.

Evolve
20-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah I have to agree. While I'm all for gender equality and making a point, I really don't think this is the way to make it. It might not have any effect on the child at all, but is that really something you'd want to risk? I don't know, it makes me uncomfortable too.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
20-01-2012, 04:49 PM
It's got to be difficult to determine what "damage" would occur. The child may have difficulty aligning with a gender, which then may cause problems fitting in. I don't like that it was an experimental decision with a child- precisely because there's no way to know. But maybe they think of it not as an experiment but as trying to push change into society's gender roles.

I don't disagree with attempting to loosen gender roles (not necessarily the method); I think it's a noble goal, and I hope the kid grows up to be healthy. I wonder what they will be like in 10 or 20 years from now.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
21-01-2012, 06:05 AM
This is child cruelty. What these people fail to understand is that the child has the right to develop its own psychological gender identity. Male, female or anywhere in between. It occurs naturally everywhere in the world. Trying to decide artificially what that identity should be is just as cruel as forcing a very feminine male child to play boy games, to only play with guns and cars and policeman outfits and male superheros because otherwise, god forbid, he may turn out to be a "fag" when he grows up. It's traumatizing and it invites depression and suicidal tendencies.

In this particular case, they're not only forcing a gender identity on a child, which is already damaging enough, but you're forcing an "outsider" gender identity making it difficult for the child to join a group. Cool thing to do with a child. Not only you're doing something potentially damaging for their development, but you also make sure that the child will not easily receive spontaneous community acceptance and support. Thanks, mom.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
21-01-2012, 06:18 AM
If the child is risen to not care about the gender, I don't think there is a problem. It will chose whatever group it feels fine with to play, just like any other kid does.
The point those parents are making imho is not that the kid should not have a gender, it is more that all the stereotypes are stupid, and they are. Why not have a s pink flowershirt for a boy if he wants to and why not let the girl be a fireman when she wants to. Get the point. Maybe they took a really weird approach for that but they didn't hurt the kid with it. He is five, ok. I have worked with kids of 1 - 12 years old. And they only care about the whole girl and boy thing because it is stuffed into their minds from a very young age already.
I hate parents who dress their kids accordingly to gender (pink, yellow, red for girls and brown, blue, green for boys... that kind) and only give them gender-ish toys. And they will tell their boy not to cry because they are boys and boys are strong, and the girls have to have pretty hair... come on...

I agree that the gender is a part of the identity of a person but that boy will not be a wreck for his life just because noone gave him the label "boy" in the beginning.

Check russia with their genders, they have FIVE Wink Wanna label a kid with one of five genders? Let it find out what it is.
Just like in our gender system with two. I hate the system with two genders, it is weird and if you don't fit into one of the two roles people think you are weird and they show that, let you feel it. That hurts much more than just not having a gender for a starter.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
22-01-2012, 10:29 AM
(20-01-2012 04:10 PM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/20/...ws#content

Europe - WORLD
British couple reveals sex of child they raised as ‘genderless’ for 5 years

Quote: SAWSTON, England -- A British couple who raised their child as "gender neutral" in a bid to break free from stereotyping revealed Friday that their five-year-old is a boy.

Beck Laxton and her partner Kieran, from Sawston in central England, referred to their son, Sasha, as "the infant" and dressed the youngster in ambiguous outfits to keep his sex a secret from friends and strangers.

They decided to tell people the child's gender after it became more difficult to conceal when he started pre-school.

Laxton, a 46-year-old web editor, told the Cambridge News of her reasons for raising a "genderless" child.

"I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," she said. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

Even the couple themselves chose not to discover whether Sasha was a boy or a girl until half an hour after his birth -- and in an email announcing the birth they simply told family and friends they "had a baby called Sasha."

"I don't think I'd do it if I thought it was going to make him unhappy, but at the moment he's not really bothered either way," she said. "All I want to do is make people think a bit."

The couple is happy to allow Sasha to wear flowery clothes -- and sent family and friends a Christmas card with a photo of the boy dressed in a pink fairy outfit.

Sasha is encouraged to play with gender-neutral toys in the family's television-free home, Laxton said.

A couple from Toronto hit the headlines in May last year when they refused to reveal the sex of their baby, Storm, as they wanted to raise the child "to be free of societal norms regarding gender."

Others here may disagree with me but this irritates the shit outta me. Why would you make an attempt to cover up something that has such a huge impact in who a person is. Gender is a very big part of the human psyche and by keeping your child and others around it from knowing what sex it is you could be doing significant damage to the child psycologically. Good think the secrets out now when he's 5 instead of when he's 15. Fucking idiot parents.

Also, although my opinion is negative towards this couple I don't in any way, shape, or form identify with the retards posting in the comments section of this article.

That kid's gonna have problems in middle school through highschool, at the least. a) he's named Sasha. The bullies will have an absolute field day with that b) he'll come across as effeminate due to his upbringing - fairy costume? Really? To me, this seems to be overboard. It's their choice though, but they'd better realize that it can have an impact on how he enjoys life - particularly when he's a teenager and has to deal with bullies.

Also, no TV??!!?? Parents must be very patient... Kid must be bouncing off the walls. I'd bet there are footprints on their ceiling...

Better without God, and happier too.
22-01-2012, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 11:44 AM by kim.)
I don't entirely see a problem with what the parents did, mostly because this article doesn't go into what they actually did. All it said was, they simply didn't expose their kid to any outside engendering influence. They let the child realize his own gender. The article didn't say the parents kept anything from the boy, they only kept his sexual identity away from other people. I don't have a problem with that.

A child establishes his own autonomy before establishing any kind of individuality within a group. To be saddled with outside influences of gender rolls or sexuality can confuse a child's ability to confidently establish his own individuality. If a child decides who and what he/she is before anyone decides this for him/her, there is no confusion -the child will be secure in it's own sexuality and decide it's own place among gender rolls within a given group.

Giving a child the answers to questions asked about it's own biology is very important, and I though I don't see any mention of what the child was told, the parents seemed very aware of the consequences of their actions; they seemed fairly educated. I can only speculate that if the child asked, they didn't keep the fact that he was a male child secret from him. I have no doubt that while bathing, he asked about his penis, he asked about Mommy's breasts, etc.,. I do not doubt that this child knows that: he is a boy; he has a penis; Mommy is a girl; girls do not have penis' they have vaginas and when girls grow up, they're breasts grow, and boy's breasts don't. He probably has no hangups about his sex or anyone else's. It's probably not an issue for him or any of his other little playmates.

This article also did not speak about this child's socialization... the parents certainly didn't keep this child locked in a room somewhere. If they did, that would have been the sensational story that we expect from this "reputable" news corporation. No... this story was much subtler in it's approach to it's view of a continually changing world. I'm pretty sure this news corporation must have a huge investment in the blood pressure medication industry.

I think imposition of gender rolls, especially from birth to the beginning of school, is kind of unnecessary. He's 5; get a grip and stop sexualizing children. It already seems to be an obsession ... probably why these parents went through such "extreme" measures to keep their kid away from it.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
22-01-2012, 01:02 PM
But they did pick a gender for the child. They decided that he is gender-neutral. They did not invent gender neutrality, it's something that people do identify with in the modern society. He "is encouraged to play with gender-neutral toys" and it's pretty obvious from the context that no, he does not know that he is a boy. How does this not invite an identity crisis at a later stage? I fully agree that, as a parent, you should accept whatever gender and sexual orientation your child turns out to have, but I strongly disapprove of using your child's development to make a social statement.

If they wish to make a statement, fine, let them fuck up their own social life: let them use clothes, makeup, surgery, hormones and/or whatever else they please to obscure their own gender, let them go through all the trouble to change their gender description as neutral in all public records and documents, let them move to a place where nobody knows them and to try to make it there as a gender neutral person. Just like I'm not allowed to have my child's mouth sewn shut as a symbol of my protest against censorship, they should not be allowed to risk the social and mental development of their child just to make a point.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
22-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Any human experimentation has been unethical by every medical society.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post