British couple finally reveal gender of their 5 year old child.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: British couple finally reveal gender of their 5 year old child.
I don't think they were being gender neutral. They don't care he dresses feminine, but anything overly masculine is not okay. That isn't being gender neutral in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2012, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 03:02 PM by kim.)
Quote:I don't entirely see a problem with what the parents did, mostly because this article doesn't go into what they actually did. All it said was, they simply didn't expose their kid to any outside engendering influence.
That is the first thing I stated... and I stand by this statement until I see something to base my impressions of this case on.

I feel that this article's information insinuates an issue at best, and it would be imprudent for me to be angry about something, when I have no idea what to be angry about.

Show me an exact quote from one of these parents that states they wanted to raise a "gender neutral" child.
The author of the article states this couple are raising a "gender neutral" child. The author of the article uses the term "gender neutral" when describing the toys the child is "encouraged to play with", but I read nothing about anything specific being imposed on this child by the parents.

Sorry. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions, and certainly not onto this bandwagon. I thought something was odd about the wording of the article when I first read it. There was nothing newsworthy contained about this story to piss me off... except maybe, a journalist trying to drum up something on a slow news day. Dodgy
Well... what do you know.
I found an actual "reputable" source for this case. Several in fact... all with a little different slant... if I may use that word.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9028479/...yping.html

Looks like a cute little boy. The comments by the boy's father are interesting as are the comments by the child psychologist.

It's an interesting case but I don't think this child will "suffer in his teen years". In fact, he'll probably be pretty freaking secure -especially around all those other spotty little boys who don't even know how to talk to girls.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-01-2012, 03:29 PM
(22-01-2012 02:45 PM)kim Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9028479/...yping.html

It's an interesting case but I don't think this child will "suffer in his teen years". In fact, he'll probably be pretty freaking secure -especially around all those other spotty little boys who don't even know how to talk to girls.

Could work out OK. But they say 'kid is free to choose what he wants' then:

Quote:Sasha wears a "ruched-sleeved" girl's shirt as part of his school uniform, and has been banned from sporting combat trousers.
The youngster is also encouraged to wear flowery tops at weekends.

Banned? I thought he could choose? Seems to me that if he were to get into the kid culture and want to be all rambo and light sabers and what not like the other little boys his parents aren't gonna be too happy. Long as he's keen on dolls and flowers they're fine with it.

I guess it'll be fine, but I foresee kiddo giving his parents serious gears around age 13 for all the crap they put him through Dodgy I sure as hell would.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I also noticed the bans and that he's only allowed to play with gender neutral toys... you know, like dolls. Oh, yeah, lego too... Some choices. He's allowed to be anything he wants as long as he doesn't turn into a normal little boy because that would turn him into a stereotype and ,oh noes! they might be wrong to do what they're doing. He's "allowed" to dress up any way he wants: like a pink fairy, in a girl uniform, a ballet dress, a princess etc. Anyway he wants, right?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
22-01-2012, 07:07 PM
(22-01-2012 03:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  I guess it'll be fine, but I foresee kiddo giving his parents serious gears around age 13 for all the crap they put him through Dodgy I sure as hell would.

Agreed. I sure as hell did!! At 13, I think there's something kind of strange if a kid doesn't get weird on his parents. Wink I recall carrying clothes to school and putting them on at a friend's house before proceeding the rest of the way. I think I started doing this at around 9 or 10!!

And yes - I thought that banned thing was odd - I'd wonder if they've been confronted about that. When I see that kind of stuff, I suspect an agenda.
I certainly wouldn't hesitate grilling them on their criteria of what's ok and what's not ok. I'd like to see how their own stereotypical ideas about gender might actually mislead and even possibly derail any hopefully good intentions.

If the parents really haven't strayed from their initial proposal of raising this child in a sexually neutral environment, I don't think it is harmful. However, if they tried to lead the child in some way simply to be contrary to excessively male stereotypical input, then the child's environment is indeed not neutrally impacted. And for this the parents could be taken to task for being even just as confusing as the extreme they are trying to prevent.

However, I still say the kid is 5, he's going to be in school... he will handle himself from there. By the time any kid is in school, parents need to start loosening up the reins. It doesn't say if he's going to public school or private; either way, if his clothing or behavior is disruptive in some way, the school will no doubt intervene. Frankly, now that it's become such a huge deal, you know if there's a single time that kid goes crying to his teacher that Mommy & Daddy made him wear stupid clothes... guess what will hit the headlines.

This may not be the best way to go about it, but kids should not be subject to stereotypical, sexualized rolls before they are individually disposed to do so for themselves.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-01-2012, 08:59 PM
So who's reporting this to the media - sounds like a bit of "lets see how much we can get for doing this" attention seeking and money grabbing crap! Probably wrong but it sounds suspect.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
23-01-2012, 03:35 AM
I also don't like the fact that, by the way their are managing the situation, they are intentionally turning the kid into "that freak with crazy parents". It's quite alarming that all the other parents don't want anything to do with them and they only allow their children to play with "the infant" (oh yeah, that's a truly motherly way to talk about your child) because it's not the kid's fault. Give it a few more years and he'll be bullied out of his sanity. I would recommend keeping this child away from chainsaws when he grows up, but then again, his first victims might be the parents so maybe we should "let him do what he wants".

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post