Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose
I'm sure all of you are familiar with Brittany Maynard (cancer victim) and her decision to end her own life Saturday at her home in Oregon. This is interesting from the standpoint of religious beliefs and the right to take ones own life.

Religious group, Priests for Life, had this statement regarding BM:

"We are saddened by the fact that this young woman gave up hope, and now our concern is for other people with terminal illnesses who may contemplate following her example," Janet Morana, executive director of the group Priests for Life, said in a statement after Maynard's death. "Brittany's death was not a victory for a political cause. It was a tragedy, hastened by despair and aided by the culture of death invading our country."

For me this is the same shit that you see over and over regarding religion and/or religious groups. By assimilating a large following and empowering leaders within its organization they poke their little noses into places they don't belong with some horseshit slippery slope excuse like "our concern is for other people with terminal illnesses who may contemplate following her example" then using the description "the culture of death invading our country" but choose to leave out the fact that suicide is considered sinful in their belief system and cannot be condoned as motivation for their involvement. I would be much more respectful if they just said as much. Their motivation behind rallying to change or retain any laws EVER is to fit their beliefs and almost never has anything to do with changing or retaining laws for a more humane society. Rainbow Vomit It's always beliefs first then humanity second no matter how you break it down. They'd rather see this girl spend the last 2 months of her life fighting seizures and living in extreme pain then to condone this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dirtstar's post
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose
I agree with you. Religions just love to meddle in other people's affairs like how to live, die, fuck & feel among other things.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Theists always want to tell other people how to live. That's why its so delightful when one of their holy joes get caught with his dick where it doesn't belong.

Fuck these meddling fools. The one thing they cannot stand is the thought that people will take charge of their own lives and dismiss their superstitious bullshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
03-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Quote:It was a tragedy,

Yep

Quote:hastened by despair

hastened by an indifferent reality

Quote:and aided by the culture of death invading our country.

and aided by the courage and compassion of her family who allowed her to face the truth and die with dignity rather than put herself and everybody who knew her through unnecessary anguish watching her die slowly.

Janet Morana and all her kind need to shut the fuck up and mind their own business.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Terminal illness means by definition that the person with it will die.

Do the right to life champions allow their pets to suffer so they can die a "natural" death?

I would think no and certainly hope not. There's no death culture. I don't advocate for healthy people to just off themselves at a certain age. To me, there's no slope to slip on.

The real tragedy is that catholic and other religions actually feel they have the right to complain about this and chime in on what should be a personal decision.

Someone on Facebook recently lamented about this issue (right to die basically) Saying that people shouldn't be allowed to play god. Her mother has been on life support for a month now to keep her alive despite her strict wishes this NOT happen.

I asked when are you playing god? Is just when life-support is terminated or could it be when it's actually begun in the first place?

Still waiting on a reply to that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
I can only hope that when my time comes, the laws in this state have changed to allow me to choose my own way out. I also hope to have a doctor who is willing to discuss not only treatment, but what my goals are for quality of life toward the end.

John Stewart recently had Atul Gawande on his show promoting his new book on the subject.

Couldn't find the Daily Show clip, but here he is on another show. Can't wait to read his book.

A great documentary was How to Die in Oregon. Very moving documentary.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
It saddens me that we live in a society where people feel suffering is the more admirable path. If they truly believe this, then why not be consistent?

Don't take aspirin when you have a headache. God will decide when it's time to stop suffering.
Don't put your animals to sleep. God will decide when it's time to stop suffering.
Don't give the elderly pain medication. God will decide when it's time to stop suffering.
Don't assist the mortally wounded. God will decide when it's time to stop suffering.

The goal of maintaining human life as long as possible to appease a sadistic god, regardless of quality of life, is ridiculous. They think planned suicide is selfish. What do they call demanding a complete stranger to suffer indefinitely? Even Jesus got a reprieve after a few days.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 5 users Like guitar_nut's post
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
I had a chat with my doctor. He said I would have enough drugs to manage my pain. More than enough.

If there's a problem with that, I have Plan B.

[Image: stsig_070606c.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
She simply hastened her own death. She was going to have a horrible, painful, excruciating death, she side stepped this nightmare and went out on her own terms. Good for her.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-11-2014, 05:10 PM
(03-11-2014 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  I had a chat with my doctor. He said I would have enough drugs to manage my pain. More than enough.

If there's a problem with that, I have Plan B.

[Image: stsig_070606c.jpg]

Huh?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post