Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose
I had to watch a woman guppy breathe all night last night while we waited on her to die after withdrawing care (meaning turned off the ventilator, pulled the breathing tube). She was still suffering when I clocked out this morning. Sadcryface There's no compassion in that! I say open the fentanyl drip wide open.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 05:56 PM
(04-11-2014 05:46 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I had to watch a woman guppy breathe all night last night while we waited on her to die after withdrawing care (meaning turned off the ventilator, pulled the breathing tube). She was still suffering when I clocked out this morning. Sadcryface There's no compassion in that! I say open the fentanyl drip wide open.

You need more hugs Hug
What a horrific ordeal No

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
04-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I am generally against assisted suicide. In this case I totally understand her reasons. I am going to have to reevaluate my opinion on this.
04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
(04-11-2014 07:53 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am generally against assisted suicide. In this case I totally understand her reasons. I am going to have to reevaluate my opinion on this.

The right to die is all about letting people opt out on the last excruciating moments of their lives (like the example nurse gave. Can you imagine?). You are given the option of dying peacefully instead of putting yourself and your family through needless suffering. You're already dying, why not be allowed to go out the way you want? It's your life. The same thing we already do for our pets.

I've never seen any good reasoning to be opposed to the issue. It's usually "life is sacred", "only god can choose when we die", "suicide is a sin", or "pretty soon this will lead to us killing off all old people, is that what we want?".

I'm curious, what is it in general that has you somewhat against it? Not trying to get into a heated debate or anything, just honestly curious about why people oppose this.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Watching my dad die convinced me that this is a right everyone deserves. The number of Oxycontin he was given by his lady friend was enough on top of the injections, patches, and drops to finally allow him to stop hurting and drift away. I don't suppose it was illegal since the drugs were prescribed to him. It was definitely his choice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
04-11-2014, 08:06 PM
(04-11-2014 07:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:53 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am generally against assisted suicide. In this case I totally understand her reasons. I am going to have to reevaluate my opinion on this.

The right to die is all about letting people opt out on the last excruciating moments of their lives (like the example nurse gave. Can you imagine?). You are given the option of dying peacefully instead of putting yourself and your family through needless suffering. You're already dying, why not be allowed to go out the way you want? It's your life. The same thing we already do for our pets.

I've never seen any good reasoning to be opposed to the issue. It's usually "life is sacred", "only god can choose when we die", "suicide is a sin", or "pretty soon this will lead to us killing off all old people, is that what we want?".

I'm curious, what is it in general that has you somewhat against it? Not trying to get into a heated debate or anything, just honestly curious about why people oppose this.

I am sorry. I don't have a good answer for you. Definitely an emotional reaction. No problem on the question. I will discuss whatever as long as it stays civil.
04-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I cant imagine the strength it took on her part.
To not want to die.
To know you will soon.
To choose the pills knowing the outcome.
To look death in the face
And to dive into the abyss.

when you really dont want to go.

damn.

Bowing

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-11-2014, 08:24 PM
(04-11-2014 08:06 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The right to die is all about letting people opt out on the last excruciating moments of their lives (like the example nurse gave. Can you imagine?). You are given the option of dying peacefully instead of putting yourself and your family through needless suffering. You're already dying, why not be allowed to go out the way you want? It's your life. The same thing we already do for our pets.

I am sorry. I don't have a good answer for you. Definitely an emotional reaction. No problem on the question. I will discuss whatever as long as it stays civil.

I promise, I'm civil Big Grin

You having an emotional reaction to the subject is natural. It's death - it's big, looming, and scary. I gotta say I'm more afraid of having no control at the end.

Imagine this scenario: you're told by your doctor that you have six months to a year to live. Your health will deteriorate rapidly. Eventually every hour of every day will be filled with agony. The pain pills aren't enough to help you sleep. Your family members will have to watch you die, make sure you take your medicine, clean up after you. You can't leave the house for anything but hospital visits. You can't hold conversations with your friends or family because you're delirious from the pain, the medication, and lack of sleep. All the while you will never get better. There is no reprieve. No light at the end of the tunnel. Nothing to strive for. Nothing to fight for. No joy left. You will be in this state getting worse and worse until you die. Your loved ones watching helplessly. Waiting for the end, and dreading it at the same time. Going broke on hospital bills, paying for in home nurses, or having to quit a job to care for you.

Wouldn't it piss you off if you could just have a doctor prescribe a lethal dose of medicine that would help you die in peace when you were ready, and you were told that you didn't have the right to make that choice for yourself and your family?

Most people who choose to end their lives in this scenario don't do so lightly. They squeeze every last drop of joy out of life, and do it when living has become unbearable.

Glad you're examining your thoughts on this, we need more people willing to confront the issue so that people have the right to choose. I really suggest the How to Die in Oregon documentary. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will.

[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
04-11-2014, 08:27 PM
(04-11-2014 08:24 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 08:06 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am sorry. I don't have a good answer for you. Definitely an emotional reaction. No problem on the question. I will discuss whatever as long as it stays civil.

I promise, I'm civil Big Grin

You having an emotional reaction to the subject is natural. It's death - it's big, looming, and scary. I gotta say I'm more afraid of having no control at the end.

Imagine this scenario: you're told by your doctor that you have six months to a year to live. Your health will deteriorate rapidly. Eventually every hour of every day will be filled with agony. The pain pills aren't enough to help you sleep. Your family members will have to watch you die, make sure you take your medicine, clean up after you. You can't leave the house for anything but hospital visits. You can't hold conversations with your friends or family because you're delirious from the pain, the medication, and lack of sleep. All the while you will never get better. There is no reprieve. No light at the end of the tunnel. Nothing to strive for. Nothing to fight for. No joy left. You will be in this state getting worse and worse until you die. Your loved ones watching helplessly. Waiting for the end, and dreading it at the same time. Going broke on hospital bills, paying for in home nurses, or having to quit a job to care for you.

Wouldn't it piss you off if you could just have a doctor prescribe a lethal dose of medicine that would help you die in peace when you were ready, and you were told that you didn't have the right to make that choice for yourself and your family?

Most people who choose to end their lives in this scenario don't do so lightly. They squeeze every last drop of joy out of life, and do it when living has become unbearable.

Glad you're examining your thoughts on this, we need more people willing to confront the issue so that people have the right to choose. I really suggest the How to Die in Oregon documentary. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will.
Logically it all makes since. So I do get and understand the points. Something just does not sit right. Could be a holdover from my catholic upbringing.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
04-11-2014, 08:30 PM
(04-11-2014 08:27 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 08:24 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I promise, I'm civil Big Grin

Logically it all makes since. So I do get and understand the points. Something just does not sit right. Could be a holdover from my catholic upbringing.

I bet you nailed it. Catholic upbringing.

I hope you are never in the situation to have to make a similar decision or to watch a loved one experience an agonizing, inevitable death - I think that you would look at things a different way now that you know that all the prayer in the world won't help.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post