Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Brittany Maynard - Her right to choose
This is one of those topics that I'm afraid to talk openly about, like if I share my political position that I'll be hung out to dry professionally. Even here, it scares me.

I have seen so many horrible deaths it terrifies me that I might one day die that way. I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying a slow death. I think it's interesting that Christians point to the crucifixion as a slow, horrible death and sacrifice - I've seen much longer air hungry, smothering, gurgling deaths. A few hours on a cross to an eternal being - really? Sorry, off topic.

In regards to med administration, I don't care if it hastens death. If my patient is dying and I have a range order in pain meds, I'm going to give the maximum - quality of life, not quantity. A nurse shouldn't be withholding because they are afraid it might tip a DNR over the edge, I mean come on, the patient is actively dying. The caring thing to do is make sure that if they are gasping for air or have signs/symptoms of pain you give them the damned pain meds. That can be easily defended in court (provided you don't go around work spouting a political position approving physician assisted suicide....). I can't stand to see someone suffer. It's inhumane.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
05-11-2014, 05:32 PM
(05-11-2014 05:13 PM)Nurse Wrote:  This is one of those topics that I'm afraid to talk openly about, like if I share my political position that I'll be hung out to dry professionally. Even here, it scares me.

I have seen so many horrible deaths it terrifies me that I might one day die that way. I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying a slow death. I think it's interesting that Christians point to the crucifixion as a slow, horrible death and sacrifice - I've seen much longer air hungry, smothering, gurgling deaths. A few hours on a cross to an eternal being - really? Sorry, off topic.

In regards to med administration, I don't care if it hastens death. If my patient is dying and I have a range order in pain meds, I'm going to give the maximum - quality of life, not quantity. A nurse shouldn't be withholding because they are afraid it might tip a DNR over the edge, I mean come on, the patient is actively dying. The caring thing to do is make sure that if they are gasping for air or have signs/symptoms of pain you give them the damned pain meds. That can be easily defended in court (provided you don't go around work spouting a political position approving physician assisted suicide....). I can't stand to see someone suffer. It's inhumane.

There's a reason why most doctors and nurses want a DNR, and I believe I recall most wouldn't even want CPR performed on them. They get to see death first hand. They know what has to be done in a hospital to keep people alive at all costs, and it ain't pretty. No I wish doctors and nurses were allowed to be more vocal about this. I bet it would help change policy.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
05-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I just fail to see a difference between Maynard and those poor people of 9/11 who jumped from the burning buildings. It was cowardly, or selfish, they just didn't want to be burned alive. Those people didn't commit suicide. They simply made a choice when their choice of how to die when their choice of living was taken away.

She was facing death. She didn't commit suicide - she didn't want die.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 4 users Like Cathym112's post
05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
(05-11-2014 05:35 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I just fail to see a difference between Maynard and those poor people of 9/11 who jumped from the burning buildings. It wasn't cowardly, or selfish, they just didn't want to be burned alive. Those people didn't commit suicide. They simply made a choice when their choice of how to die when their choice of living was taken away.

You boobooed a typo. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
(05-11-2014 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 05:35 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I just fail to see a difference between Maynard and those poor people of 9/11 who jumped from the burning buildings. It wasn't cowardly, or selfish, they just didn't want to be burned alive. Those people didn't commit suicide. They simply made a choice when their choice of how to die when their choice of living was taken away.

You boobooed a typo. Big Grin

So I did. Thanks, Girly. Shocking I actually fucked up the whole post. Wow. Thanks Drunk posting. Let me try this again.

I just fail to see a difference between Maynard and those poor people of 9/11 who jumped from the burning buildings. It wasn't cowardly, or selfish, they just didn't want to be burned alive. Those people didn't commit suicide. They simply made a choice of how to die when their choice of living was taken away.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
06-11-2014, 09:41 AM
(06-11-2014 09:22 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You boobooed a typo. Big Grin

So I did. Thanks, Girly. Shocking I actually fucked up the whole post. Wow. Thanks Drunk posting. Let me try this again.

I just fail to see a difference between Maynard and those poor people of 9/11 who jumped from the burning buildings. It wasn't cowardly, or selfish, they just didn't want to be burned alive. Those people didn't commit suicide. They simply made a choice of how to die when their choice of living was taken away.

Good point. We could re-cast Rik's list:
  • A fatally ill person takes his/her own life, unassisted.
  • Physician-assisted suicide.
  • Loved one-assisted suicide.

as:
  • A fatally ill person chooses the manner and time of death, unassisted.
  • A fatally ill person chooses the manner and time of death, assisted by a physician.
  • A fatally ill person chooses the manner and time of death, assisted by a loved one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2014, 10:12 AM
(05-11-2014 05:13 PM)Nurse Wrote:  This is one of those topics that I'm afraid to talk openly about, like if I share my political position that I'll be hung out to dry professionally. Even here, it scares me.

I live in Oregon and this law has been on the books for almost 20 years. The other day I was listening to the guy who helped pass the Death With Dignity bill through the state senate and he was saying that about 40,000 people die each year in Oregon but only around 40 to 45 people a year use DWD to end their lives and this has remained pretty consistent. When it passed Christians were in an uproar saying that people would be killing themselves by the thousands and our state had reached the bottom morally, that Oregon was the next Nazi state. Geesh.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Outside of any religious concerns, we would all be wise to watch carefully how the laws of assisted suicide are crafted and evolve. As sentiments evolve, and with the influence of national health care, things could evolve into a certain expectation under certian circumstances. Even the refusal to provide certian health care after a certian age or prognosis. Think I'm crazy?

http://pjmedia.com/ronradosh/2014/09/19/...e-past-75/
06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
(06-11-2014 10:24 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  Outside of any religious concerns, we would all be wise to watch carefully how the laws of assisted suicide are crafted and evolve. As sentiments evolve, and with the influence of national health care, things could evolve into a certain expectation under certian circumstances. Even the refusal to provide certian health care after a certian age or prognosis. Think I'm crazy?

http://pjmedia.com/ronradosh/2014/09/19/...e-past-75/

[Image: imagejpg1_zps30ecd6e4.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
06-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Only a fallacy if "it will" is implied. However this is a tale of caution no matter how big and cutesy an image you post. :-)