Broken software

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Multiple posts to the same thread is still broken
(28-01-2012 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  When replying to two different posts in the same thread, the two replies are concatenated if no one else has posted in the meantime.

This is not about cookies or the OS, this is broken software.

There is a timeout associated with this behavior. If you wait long enough the posts won't be merged. DeepThought can provide the details on this setting.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2012, 03:18 PM
RE: Multiple posts to the same thread is still broken
(28-01-2012 03:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-01-2012 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  When replying to two different posts in the same thread, the two replies are concatenated if no one else has posted in the meantime.

This is not about cookies or the OS, this is broken software.

There is a timeout associated with this behavior. If you wait long enough the posts won't be merged. DeepThought can provide the details on this setting.

OK, that would move it from the 'bug' category to the 'feature' category. Big Grin

However, since there is already an 'Edit' feature, it seems redundant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2012, 04:59 AM
RE: Broken software
It automerges the posts by the same user if no other members have visited the thread yet. It's to do with subscriptions and 'read' notifications.

If you edit a post noone will know about the change. adding a post will always mark the thread as having new posts. Once a member has seen your last post it will not be merged but added as an additional post. That way all those members see the thread as unread again.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-01-2012, 08:10 AM
(29-01-2012 04:59 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  It automerges the posts by the same user if no other members have visited the thread yet. It's to do with subscriptions and 'read' notifications.

If you edit a post noone will know about the change. adding a post will always mark the thread as having new posts. Once a member has seen your last post it will not be merged but added as an additional post. That way all those members see the thread as unread again.

I don't see the purpose for the automerge. Why is it there?

29-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Do you understand how threads show up as unread when someone makes a new post?

If someone has visited after you post and you add another post it will not be merged and be added as a separate post. That way whoever had visited previously can know there are new posts.

29-01-2012, 05:37 PM
(29-01-2012 05:08 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Do you understand how threads show up as unread when someone makes a new post?

No. Do you? That is, are you familiar with the code that implements that?

Quote:If someone has visited after you post and you add another post it will not be merged and be added as a separate post. That way whoever had visited previously can know there are new posts.

That doesn't seem to address the question of the purpose of concatenating one's posts.
If person A posts P1 and person B posts P2, person C sees the newest as person A's P1 post.
If person A posts P1 and person B posts P2 and person A posts P3, person C sees the newest as person A's P1 post.

What is NOT happening is:
If person A posts P1 and person A posts P2, person C sees the newest as person A's P1 post. Instead, P1 and P2 get concatenated. Why?
I often want to answer more than one post in a thread - I want those answers to be separate posts, each showing up in the thread where it should be.

29-01-2012, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 06:38 PM by DeepThought.)
I understand in that situation it could be frustrating. The reasoning behind the code is because of read notifications and thread subscription triggers.

eg: person A posts. Noone looks at the thread and person a posts again. Only one subscription notification will be sent.

person A posts and person B views the thread, then person A posts again. Possibly 2 notifications would be sent (depending on the time involved). I hope you understand.

I don't think that behaviour can be changed and I haven't looked for it. It's one of the more complex parts of the forum machinery...

Edit: There probably is an option for it but I don't think it's a problem. Can't people just quote the part they are addressing rather than a whole post?
Thats what I do when I reply to something. I usually can put most things in 1 post even with multiple people.

29-01-2012, 06:53 PM
(29-01-2012 06:33 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I understand in that situation it could be frustrating. The reasoning behind the code is because of read notifications and thread subscription triggers.

eg: person A posts. Noone looks at the thread and person a posts again. Only one subscription notification will be sent.

person A posts and person B views the thread, then person A posts again. Possibly 2 notifications would be sent (depending on the time involved). I hope you understand.

I don't think that behaviour can be changed and I haven't looked for it. It's one of the more complex parts of the forum machinery...

Edit: There probably is an option for it but I don't think it's a problem. Can't people just quote the part they are addressing rather than a whole post?
Thats what I do when I reply to something. I usually can put most things in 1 post even with multiple people.

C'est la vie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Zune software NUMAtrekkie 1 161 17-01-2013 01:49 PM
Last Post: FSM_scot
  BB-code buttons broken? Vosur 11 626 01-09-2012 09:39 AM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Forum Software Update DeepThought 0 229 24-04-2011 05:06 AM
Last Post: DeepThought