Brother thinks rape is "God's will"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 07:48 AM
RE: Brother thinks rape is "God's will"
Best case scenario is my brother loves and worships a God who allows rape for whatever crazy metaphysical reason. Still probably just as disgusting.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
28-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Ask him if he thinks rape is morally wrong. Or murder. Or paedophilia. If they are all gawds will, how can they be morally wrong?

If he doesn't think they are morally wrong......I think he might need help.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 3 users Like ukatheist's post
29-04-2017, 06:24 AM
Yeah, that stupid lying Jesus.
Telling people whatever they asked for in his name would be given them.
Tricky little devil.
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-04-2017, 06:45 AM
You’re brother is a Calvinist...and his god is a grade A-1, top of the line epitome of a cunturd.

When you divorce yourself from all responsibility by putting it on the shoulders of an imaginary being you are toeing the line of sociopathy. I would keep my distance.

Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
18-09-2017, 12:27 AM
This is not the first time I've heard of a Christian's terrible ideas about rape. Hearing my youth pastor calmly admit that he forced sex on his wife when she refused to have sex with him (because you can't rape your wife) is the event that started me down the path of questioning religion.

It's pretty awful that some people believe there can be any justification for rape, or to hand-wave it for various reasons. But at least it gives us atheists more ammunition about how, if God does exist, he is the universe's biggest asshole.

-
"Who is the clergy?"
"A bunch of mindless idiots who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."
[+] 4 users Like LightSage's post
18-09-2017, 01:04 AM
I would dislike this bloke. However, I respect his dedication to the actual ideas within his book. At least he's honest. Unlike the touchy feely false christians who say "god is love".

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-09-2017, 01:41 AM
(26-04-2017 01:17 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  If you haven't heard recently there was some GOP guy who said rape was God's will. My brother is a Christian now so he decided to express his opinion after my father shared the link about the story on FB, and apparently, my brother agrees that "rape is God's will" because "everything is God's will". How would you handle this situation? I'm considering not talking with my brother anymore after he moves out.

I'd rape him. I don't mean literally, but he'd sure as shit think I was about to rape him as I subdued him in a bearhug and started quoting 1 Timothy 2:3-4 as I depantsed him. "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." ... Consider ... think I might've actually done something like that once. Hobo

#sigh
18-09-2017, 01:50 AM
(26-04-2017 01:17 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  If you haven't heard recently there was some GOP guy who said rape was God's will. My brother is a Christian now so he decided to express his opinion after my father shared the link about the story on FB, and apparently, my brother agrees that "rape is God's will" because "everything is God's will". How would you handle this situation? I'm considering not talking with my brother anymore after he moves out.

Remind him that a god that knows of evil, has the power to stop evil, but chooses not to, is evil.

If he shoots back that we cannot judge god by human standards, remind him that we have no other standards to judge him (or anything else) by, and that he's using human standards to excuse god's apathy.

Then invite him to explain how 'everything being god's will' is any different from nothing being god's will. How can he tell the difference between the two?

Of course, this is all under the assumption that you want to be confrontational, as opposed to just cutting yourself off from toxic ignorant buffoons.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2017, 08:00 AM
(18-09-2017 01:50 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Of course, this is all under the assumption that you want to be confrontational, as opposed to just cutting yourself off from toxic ignorant buffoons.

Well there's been a lot of conflict in my family so I don't want to start more conflict, plus he still lives with us for now so I can't cut him off. Probably will just naturally happen that I talk to him less when he moves out.

18-09-2017, 08:23 AM
It's part of the theist justification of why things bad things happen to good people for the best. I had one explain why babies die like this:
1. The parents grieve.
2. In their grief, the parents reach out to their community and the community reaches out to them.
3. The parents make new friends and find love they never knew existed in their community.
4. The baby's death brings the whole community together.
5. So babies die to increase love.
Not convinced? I wasn't either, but that's how they justify it. Rape would be explained the same way. Yes, the rapist used his free will for evil, but Divine Justice will take care of him and the rape victim will reach out to her community etc. That's the thing about believing in god- no need for justice or human accountability now, Divine Justice fixes it all later.

Unless you're honestly curious about why he thinks rape is god's will, your sanity might be better served by letting it go, GenesisNemesis. If it is because he thinks Divine Justice will fix everything in the great hereafter, it will enrage you even more. This theist refusal to hold themselves and the human species truly and ultimately accountable is the thing I loathe most about religion.