Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2016, 04:23 PM
RE: Brought to you by Google :)
Greetings.
Find all posts by this user
27-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Mymy.. the activity here! Thanks for all the greetings Smile.
I can imagine a lot of you are very interested in the Big Bang Theory and evolution, it kind of goes hand in hand with atheism. I suppose this is the equivalent to cursing in church, but here goes.. despite there being facts and discoveries, I just can't find myself to be interested in things such as these, since they do not even have the possibility of impacting my life now or in the future. But I do see the value in such information from a scientific viewpoint. I don't mind being ignorant on certain subjects. You didn't burn me at the stakes for me first comments so I'm hoping for the best now too Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Troxny's post
27-11-2016, 05:28 PM
(27-11-2016 05:04 PM)Troxny Wrote:  Mymy.. the activity here! Thanks for all the greetings Smile.
I can imagine a lot of you are very interested in the Big Bang Theory and evolution, it kind of goes hand in hand with atheism. I suppose this is the equivalent to cursing in church, but here goes.. despite there being facts and discoveries, I just can't find myself to be interested in things such as these, since they do not even have the possibility of impacting my life now or in the future. But I do see the value in such information from a scientific viewpoint. I don't mind being ignorant on certain subjects. You didn't burn me at the stakes for me first comments so I'm hoping for the best now too Smile

"I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer to these questions.
Atheism is just the lack of a belief in any god or gods, it doesn't require the "belief" in anything else.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
27-11-2016, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 05:56 PM by Loom.)
(27-11-2016 05:04 PM)Troxny Wrote:  Mymy.. the activity here! Thanks for all the greetings Smile.

I agree, knowing the past doesn't really have a big impact on my life either, other than serving as ammunition when debating religious folk and how they insist their ancient book is The One True Holy Book™ since it has all the answers.

But hey, if you're like me and don't really like to engage in such hair-pulling debates, I'm with ya there!

I just love science, biology and astronomy in particular, so I could read up on those things for that reason alone Tongue

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
27-11-2016, 07:58 PM

At a minimum, if you use antibiotics for an infection, you are relying on evolution. Might want to check that out.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-11-2016, 11:42 PM
@Troxny

I'm not that much interested in TE and BB, my interests lie in other fields but I think that even very basic understanding of such is necessary to call oneself educated; in this day and age thanks to wealth of information you can't be renaisance man, but having more knowledge is good thing in my view.

Also I wouldn't say that being interested in above mentioned goes hand to hand with lack of belief - even my atheists friends with master degreess weren't much interested in TE or BB.

About lack of the impact I think you're right, but for me knowledge is good in itself. I agree with Socrates (even though his intent when saying could be different) - There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-11-2016, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2016 12:19 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(27-11-2016 05:04 PM)Troxny Wrote:  I can imagine a lot of you are very interested in the Big Bang Theory and evolution, it kind of goes hand in hand with atheism.

I clipped out the rest of what you said, there, because you're still quite right to be skeptical until you look into a subject, and you're in no way required to be curious or informed on the subject of science in order to be an atheist-- you just have to recognize that the God-story claimants are full of shit.

I do, however, have a strong quibble about the statement that remains, above.

In no way do the Big Bang or evolution have anything to do with atheism. Nothing at all. Not hand-in-hand, and not related. They are simply the overwhelming scientific consensus on the subjects of how our universe got here and why life looks the way it does today. Simple as that. Most Christians, worldwide, don't take any more issue with these scientific facts than atheists do.

The only thing that in any way ties those subjects to atheism is the fact that for many religious people, who think the world got here by literal magic from a sky fairy, they have a pre-existing condition (ideology) that prevents them from accepting those scientific facts no matter how clear the evidence... and atheists do not. This leads those who believe in magic to accuse us of having a similar ideology that requires us to accept evolution and reject their Creator (the magical one). Thus, we often hear the refrain that atheists must believe in evolution because they are connected ideologies. It's a form of the tu quoque fallacy.

But actually, Soviet atheists denied the latest scientific knowledge of evolution because communism had its own set of quasi-religious ideologies which prevented them from accepting basic tenets of reality in favor of their predisposed notions of how things "should" be... look up Lysenkoism if you're ever curious about it.

So it's not really an atheism thing. It's a "this is reality and we don't have a preexisting ideology that says to reject science in favor of a magical story about how we'd prefer the world should work" thing.

[Edited to add some clarification in the center paragraph.]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-11-2016, 01:05 PM
My bad there, seems I phrased myself very poorly and incorrectly, what I meant to convey was that people interested or studying these subjects are likely to be atheists for obvious reasons. I was under no impression that the majority of atheists are interested in these sort of theories. And I know atheism has no link to the big bang theory and evolution.
[+] 2 users Like Troxny's post
28-11-2016, 01:15 PM
(28-11-2016 01:05 PM)Troxny Wrote:  My bad there, seems I phrased myself very poorly and incorrectly, what I meant to convey was that people interested or studying these subjects are likely to be atheists for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons? Believers could try to look deeper into god work, or just put aside their faith during work week. There are no obvious reasons for atheists to study TE and BB.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.