Brought to you by Google :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 01:24 PM
RE: Brought to you by Google :)
(28-11-2016 01:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-11-2016 01:05 PM)Troxny Wrote:  My bad there, seems I phrased myself very poorly and incorrectly, what I meant to convey was that people interested or studying these subjects are likely to be atheists for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons? Believers could try to look deeper into god work, or just put aside their faith during work week. There are no obvious reasons for atheists to study TE and BB.

I think he means it the other way around-- people who study the BB and Evo tend to be (or become) atheists, or at least agnostics. This is statistically verifiable.

I can see how that would give some people the impression that science = atheism.

Would be more accurate to say that science permits atheism to be a valid choice for intellectuals who previously had only magical/mythological answers to turn to, for most of history.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-11-2016, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2016 01:40 PM by Szuchow.)
@RocketSurgeon

I could agree with such reasoning.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-11-2016, 06:45 PM
(28-11-2016 01:05 PM)Troxny Wrote:  My bad there, seems I phrased myself very poorly and incorrectly, what I meant to convey was that people interested or studying these subjects are likely to be atheists for obvious reasons. I was under no impression that the majority of atheists are interested in these sort of theories. And I know atheism has no link to the big bang theory and evolution.

That's what the Evangelicals would have you believe but you might be surprised.

On the one hand, a lot of atheists like yourself simply have little interest in the Theory of Evolution or the Big Bang. Nothing wrong with that. There's so much to know that you can't possibly cram it all into one skull or one lifetime. You have to pick and choose unless you're going to be a generalist who knows just a smidge of everything.

On the flip side, I'm a geologist and I've worked with other scientists in my field who were Catholics, Baptists, Protestants of various other flavours, and a couple of Muslims. All good scientists and not a one of them a creationist. They got fairly offended at the suggestion that their faith might be associated with "those fools". In fact, they were faster to pounce on creationists than most atheists I've known, and we don't typically need much excuse to pounce. To them, creationists are an embarassment by association.

So now that we know what you aren't, tell us a bit about who you are. It'll help get us off this tediousness. And welcome again to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 01:42 AM
(28-11-2016 06:45 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  That's what the Evangelicals would have you believe but you might be surprised.

On the one hand, a lot of atheists like yourself simply have little interest in the Theory of Evolution or the Big Bang. Nothing wrong with that. There's so much to know that you can't possibly cram it all into one skull or one lifetime. You have to pick and choose unless you're going to be a generalist who knows just a smidge of everything.

On the flip side, I'm a geologist and I've worked with other scientists in my field who were Catholics, Baptists, Protestants of various other flavours, and a couple of Muslims. All good scientists and not a one of them a creationist. They got fairly offended at the suggestion that their faith might be associated with "those fools". In fact, they were faster to pounce on creationists than most atheists I've known, and we don't typically need much excuse to pounce. To them, creationists are an embarassment by association.

So now that we know what you aren't, tell us a bit about who you are. It'll help get us off this tediousness. And welcome again to the forum.

This has been my exact experience with religious scientists, as well. They shoulder quite a bit of bitterness at the Creationists for making them look stupid by proxy. Undecided

My wife, who is the queen of "non-engagement" (she doesn't like saying anything that might offend anyone, or getting into arguments, etc., even to her detriment... I'm working with her on that), will actually step over the line and voice some particularly impressive vitriol when I mention my encounters with various Creationists, even among my own family. You should hear some of the things she says when reading the comments by Creationists, here on the board! She made me promise not to get her involved with this board, so I can only give y'all a vague version, here. But I'll tell you what she did in real life...

My folks are fundamentalist Christians, and are overjoyed that I married a Christian woman. But she once cruelly "baited" my father, who is a Chemical Engineer and who was clearly excited about the fact that he can talk about church or about chemical processes with my very pretty wife, by striking up a lengthy conversation about chemistry and atomic physics with him until he ran into a place where it clearly proved the earth could not be 6000 years old... at which point his programming kicked in and he suddenly stopped talking (or apparently thinking) about it. I love her so much for doing that to him.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post