Brown pants moments.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 10:11 PM by Gloucester.)
Brown pants moments.
What was the scariest moment in your life?

Was mine having a heart attack? Nope, long before that.

It was not even that day, in 1962, when we were confined to barracks and all off duty personnel were called in because of The Cuban Missile Crisis. In those days I was young, confident, brave and immortal.

It was a night in 1969.

Night shift in a fortified RAF communications centre, I was on duty in Systems Control but happened to be in the signals room, chatting in a quiet spell. Early days of very large and crude computers, we had one to route the signals but it was still paper tape and lots of people for much of the work.

In every room there was a speaker that bleeped once a second. So long as it kept bleeping no-one had yet turned the key and pressed the button. Like the ticking clock it was a familiar and ignored part of a fairly noisy environment.

Then the bleep stopped.

For 15 hour-long seconds every face was turned towards that little box on the wall.

Then it started again.

The Duty Signals Officer just said, "If any one needs to visit the toilets you all have a five minute break," then turned back to his novel.

Some left the room.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Gloucester's post
07-10-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Brown pants moments.
I was riding my motorcycle along a non-maintained asphalt road at a fair rate of speed above that posted. I hit a patch of sand and slid right off the road, down an embankment to a stream. I jumped off, and then wondered, as I slid downhill on my face, "where is my motorcycle?". Fortunately for me, the left handlebar got stuck in the soil, and the motorcycle stopped there (but didn't even quit running!). Didn't get brown pants, but did get a concussion, and lost my license plate, to boot. I rode home with broken spectacles, with the left handle bar about even with my waist.
07-10-2016, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016 05:05 AM by Anjele.)
It was about 1978 and I was 21 years old. I worked the graveyard shift at a nursing home (yeah, I know, unfortunate term for that shift at that place). My boyfriend and his father put new brakes on our car that evening. Well after dark I was off in my half-hour trek to work. I was going downhill on a road that took a 90 degree turn to the left at the bottom. Straight ahead was the Mississippi river...that turn was a real important turn.

I put my foot on the pedal to slow the car down and it went all the way to the floor. No brakes at all...none. Somehow I managed to make the turn and coasted into the next town and, due to the late hour, make it through a couple traffic lights without incident. Before I would have normally started going uphill to the facility I made a 90 degree right toward the house of some friends. I had slowed enough by then that I was able to ease up by the curb across the street, crank the wheels hard to the right, and the car stopped.

I got out of the car and went to their door to call work and call the boyfriend. Right after I walked in the door there was a loud bang. I ran back outside in time to see the tire on the right front burst into flames.

Luckily the man who lived nearest the car was a volunteer firefighter...he ran outside when he heard the bang and put the flames out with his garden hose.

Scared the crap out of me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-10-2016, 02:26 AM
(07-10-2016 10:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It was about 1978 and I was 21 years old. I worked the graveyard shift at a nursing home (yeah, I know, unfortunate term for that shift at that place). My boyfriend and his father out new brakes on our car that evening. Well after dark I was off in my half-hour trek to work. I was going downhill on a road that took a 90 degree turn to the left at the bottom. Straight ahead was the Mississippi river...that turn was a real important turn.

I put my foot on the pedal to slow the car down and it went all the way to the floor. No brakes at all...none. Somehow I managed to make the turn and coasted into the next town and, due to the late hour, make it through a couple traffic lights without incident. Before I would have normally started going uphill to the facility I made a 90 degree right toward the house of some friends. I had slowed enough by then that I was able to ease up by the curb across the street, crank the wheels hard to the right, and the car stopped.

I got out of the car and went to their door to call work and call the boyfriend. Right after I walked in the door there was a loud bang. I ran back outside in time to see the tire on the right front burst into flames.

Luckily the man who lived nearest the car was a volunteer firefighter...he ran outside when he heard the bang and put the flames out with his garden hose.

Scared the crap out of me.

Now I'm curious. Just how bad do you have to fuck up a brake job to simultaneously lose braking power and cause enough friction to cause a fire? Blink

There has to be more to this, and as someone who has changed brakes on my car and motorcycle multiple times, I have to know!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Five boats on a shitty brown river. All of them get hit by RPGs at the same time. Some just explode, one flips over. Happily, the little brown fraternal brothers on the banks shoot holes in the hull. Three days later, swimming down the river on the way home. Just another day at the office.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Another tale from my misspent past.

Christmas 1970, two of us, still in the RAF, walking in the English Peak District. No snow forecast before we started. Sleeping in car, had to dig us and it out in the morning - all the way to the cleared main road, taking turns with the shovel and the driving.

That evening heading for a village in a valley from a higher road. Going a bit dicey, turned the corner onto the slope down to the valley bottom. Quarter of a mile of 10% gradient, solid rock to the right, six foot of grass and rubble to the left, then 45degree or steeper slope, half covered in beach ball sized boulders, all the way down on the left - with a 90degree left bend at the bottom.

All covered in smooth, white ice or compacted snow. We were already on it and rolling...

Eddie and I looked at each, faces same colour as the snow. I shifted from 2nd into first gear, took my feet, very slowly, off the pedals and took a pinch grip of the wheel, with the very slightest of correcting tweaks. Managed to run the near side wheels just onto the grass verge for the last 50 ft, into a shallow rut, and apply a very light handbrake. Just slowed us enough to take the corner.

We sat there for a few minutes then drove to the pub and downed three whiskeys each before saying a word. Which might just have been a chorussed, "Shit!"

Still not as numbing as the first story - I had something to do.

09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I had to undergo surgery to get a pilonidal cyst removed from my body twice in my life. The second time around, the local anesthetist pushed the needle with the anesthetic stuff into the wrong vertebrae, accidentally paralyzing part of my chest instead of only my lower body. After the surgery, when they removed the oxygen mask, I experienced breathing problems and I noticed that my heart rate on the monitor started to drop rather quickly. When it reached a certain threshold, an automatic alarm was sounded by the machine and the nurse rushed my bed to the emergency room where they gave me an oxygen mask again. My heart rate kept falling in spite of that so one of the doctors took a syringe full of adrenaline and stuck it into my body to help my heart beat faster. They had to keep reminding me to breathe because I constantly forgot to without realizing it myself. All I felt while my body was getting colder and weaker was the unparalleled fear that this would be the end for me. I desperately tried to stay conscious but my vision became darker in front of my eyes and the last thought I remember having before passing out was about all the things I would never get to experience.

I was very surprised to wake up six hours later with a relieved doctor sitting at my bedsite. I really thought I had died.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-10-2016, 02:36 PM
(09-10-2016 02:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I had to undergo surgery to get a pilonidal cyst removed from my body twice in my life. The second time around, the local anesthetist pushed the needle with the anesthetic stuff into the wrong vertebrae, accidentally paralyzing part of my chest instead of only my lower body. After the surgery, when they removed the oxygen mask, I experienced breathing problems and I noticed that my heart rate on the monitor started to drop rather quickly. When it reached a certain threshold, an automatic alarm was sounded by the machine and the nurse rushed my bed to the emergency room where they gave me an oxygen mask again. My heart rate kept falling in spite of that so one of the doctors took a syringe full of adrenaline and stuck it into my body to help my heart beat faster. They had to keep reminding me to breathe because I constantly forgot to without realizing it myself. All I felt while my body was getting colder and weaker was the unparalleled fear that this would be the end for me. I desperately tried to stay conscious but my vision became darker in front of my eyes and the last thought I remember having before passing out was about all the things I would never get to experience.

I was very surprised to wake up six hours later with a relieved doctor sitting at my bedsite. I really thought I had died.
Nothing that dramatic in my medical history but enough, er, heart stopping (or, in my case racing at 200+ bpm towards unconciousness) moments for me understand how you felt.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
09-10-2016, 04:28 PM
I've had a few anus-puckering scares on motorcycles and in cars and one near-panic while SCUBA diving, but the deepest scare I ever had was medical.

A year after my first bone transplant surgery, I had driven home from Toronto via Montreal to pick up my nephew.

When we got to my house, I went upstairs and took off my full-length leg brace because my leg was aching badly.
When I lifted my leg to get it clear of the brace, it bent mid-thigh. My femur was in two pieces. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Yikes!
Most of my Oh shit moments were in aviation, I had one in Scuba diving.
I was in Mexico and one of the dive shops said they would take me out one-on-one with an instructor, since I was not yet certified.
I had been out on a beach dive the day before with another guy, and really had a great time.
This was a two tank dive on the reefs of Cozumel. All the equipment was very nice and new, but they had a shabby old weight belt with a ton of weights on it. I am overweight and big, and they figured I needed a lot. It was way more than needed and I had quite a bit of air in the BCD. If i stopped swimming I was upright like a beer bottle Big Grin
It was great fun, I was using lung volume to drift up and down over the coral heads as we drifted through on the current. It was as natural and calm as could be.
Until the weight belt came loose..........
I was right by a coral head and reached right out and grabbed on, and dumped the BCD. My instructor had wondered off to help with the rest of the dive clients, and I finally got her attention. She recovered the belt and we made a controlled ascent from about 35 feet or so.