Brush with Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Brush with Death
So this week I was in a rather bad car accident, which was 100% the other drivers fault.

It could have been much, much worse, but thankfully I reacted quickly.

I know this topic is covered regularly on these forums, but it never fails to amuse me
when I experience it first hand. After the accident I have been assailed by some family
and friends wanting to each give me their interpretation about how I'm only alive
because God, Jesus, or whatnot saved me.

I find it especially hilarious because I can tell you exactly why I'm alive today and
not dead: my brake calipers died on one front wheel this year so when I replaced
them I upgraded to 4-piston aftermarket calipers that shaved about 20 feet off my skidpad.

I can't help but think these type of situations help highlight how far removed from reality
the minds of the religious are. Some simple technology saved my life, while in their head
there are magical people in the sky doing the work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Superluminal's post
14-07-2012, 08:50 AM
RE: Brush with Death
(14-07-2012 08:42 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  So this week I was in a rather bad car accident, which was 100% the other drivers fault.

It could have been much, much worse, but thankfully I reacted quickly.

I know this topic is covered regularly on these forums, but it never fails to amuse me
when I experience it first hand. After the accident I have been assailed by some family
and friends wanting to each give me their interpretation about how I'm only alive
because God, Jesus, or whatnot saved me.

I find it especially hilarious because I can tell you exactly why I'm alive today and
not dead: my brake calipers died on one front wheel this year so when I replaced
them I upgraded to 4-piston aftermarket calipers that shaved about 20 feet off my skidpad.

I can't help but think these type of situations help highlight how far removed from reality
the minds of the religious are. Some simple technology saved my life, while in their head
there are magical people in the sky doing the work.
Glad you are OK! It's much more likely the magic man in the sky is responsible for you making it, I'm sure the upgraded breaks and your quick response had nothing to do with it Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Though not a funny story in and of itself...a few years ago my dad was in a BAD accident. It's a wonder he survived especially given his other health issues at the time, he had to be cut out of his truck with the jaws of life.

My brother's comment was "shows you how good a Chevy truck is built".

Dad's survival wasn't attributed to a god but rather to the engineers and builders at Chevrolet.

Glad you are okay, hope you are back to your old self soon.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Well then praise the Lord that he wore down your old pads and sent his Holy Spirit to guide you to upgrade to brake pads you wouldn't have thought of on your own!

Glad you're okay! Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-07-2012, 09:44 AM
This kinda reminds me of a lady who had a rough flight on some airline and then once they landed safely, she thanked god for his protection.

I replied back "No, you need to thank the pilots who handled the rough flying conditions. You should thank the airline for having strict maintenance procedures that detect and replace any worn parts. Thank the engineers who designed the plane that allow it to fly in the first place. Thank the construction workers who built it to spec so it could withstand all the turbulence you went through."

I dare you to fly in a plane made by priests, all the parts maintained by god himself and see how much faith you have in god's protection then.
In fact I think all believers should have to fly in planes like this.

"Sorry Miss, this flight is for rational thinkers only. Your plane is over there."
- "But that plane is rusty and appears to have part of the wing missing."
"Well Miss, it's under god's protection. You should be fine. Like the motto says - A miracle with every landing"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
14-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Glad you're alright. I was involved in a car accident when I was about 12 (and by me I mean my dad was driving at the time. 3 years, of motorbike riding never crashed touch wood). A guy took a 75km corner at 140kms, spun out and a guy coming around the corner behind him hit him at 120km, killed him instantly. We were coming the other way at the time and when the guy got hit the car that hit him pushed the two cars into ours smashing the front of our car. It was at the top of the hill and all three cars ended up at the bottom of the hill. The car that originally got hit ended up driver door hard against the side of our car, I looked over and there was a guy literally with his split open (against the steering wheel). You don't forget an image like that. Especially when you're 12. I remember that guys head being split open and the moment before the crash when my dad said "oh shit!". The guy that hit the other guy was in a coma for like 3 or 4 months. The guy that was killed had 3 children all under 5, and was only like 24 or something, had over 130 speeding tickets and had lost his license 3 times.
I couldn't ride in a car without gripping the handle on the door for at least 2 years. It's probably psychologically why I'm such a cautious driver now actually. I mean I like a bit of speed, but get me with other traffic and I'm the guy hanging like 5 car lengths back, eyes wide open, hand on the brake.

God didn't cause that guy to be killed, his own stupidity and unwillingness to slow the fuck down is what killed him and now some 20 something women was left to raise 3 small children.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.