Buddhism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Buddhism
Ok, I am quite ignorant of Buddhism but keep hearing that it is one of the better religions.

To save myself some time researching and to get it from an atheist perspective in the first place, is there anyone here who can give me a run-down of the salient points?

Like how does it differ from other religions, what makes it more palatable to atheists, and what makes it nonsense anyway?

The recently arrived Buddhist keeps talking about atheism from his perspective, instead I would like a view of Buddhism from an atheist perspective.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2013, 10:25 AM
RE: Buddhism
They are just as nuts...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2013, 10:27 AM
It's a religion, like any other. Supernaturalism, patriarchal, dogmatic, regressive, etc.

The only difference is that:
1. it's a minority in "our" world. As a result people are ignorant of it, and are only aware of the kitsch variants of it (fad celebrity or hipster religion).

2. it's a minority religion in countries currently being invaded, occupied, etc. so we see no radicalization that affects us.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ju...ob-attacks

Buddhism is like any other religion, that is prone either to placid dogma, or violent irrational genocide. The real question is how impoverished, and abused are the people of a specific region and religion.
21-08-2013, 12:35 PM
(21-08-2013 09:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, I am quite ignorant of Buddhism but keep hearing that it is one of the better religions.

To save myself some time researching and to get it from an atheist perspective in the first place, is there anyone here who can give me a run-down of the salient points?

Like how does it differ from other religions, what makes it more palatable to atheists, and what makes it nonsense anyway?

The recently arrived Buddhist keeps talking about atheism from his perspective, instead I would like a view of Buddhism from an atheist perspective.

Like any religion, there are different flavors. Some have a lot of woo, some less, some almost none.

The Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama) was a prince who forsook worldly concerns to confront the problem of suffering.

Quote:According to Buddhism, at the time of his awakening he realized complete insight into the cause of suffering, and the steps necessary to eliminate it. These discoveries became known as the "Four Noble Truths", which are at the heart of Buddhist teaching. Through mastery of these truths, a state of supreme liberation, or Nirvana, is believed to be possible for any being. The Buddha described Nirvāna as the perfect peace of a mind that's free from ignorance, greed, hatred and other afflictive states, or "defilements" (kilesas). Nirvana is also regarded as the "end of the world", in that no personal identity or boundaries of the mind remain. In such a state, a being is said to possess the Ten Characteristics, belonging to every Buddha.

In what seems to me to be its purest and simplest form, it is a philosophy and view that pain is inevitable, but that suffering can be transcended through physical and mental practices.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-08-2013, 12:37 PM
(21-08-2013 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 09:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, I am quite ignorant of Buddhism but keep hearing that it is one of the better religions.

Like any religion, there are different flavors. Some have a lot of woo, some less, some almost none.

The Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama) was a prince who forsook worldly concerns to confront the problem of suffering.

Quote:According to Buddhism, at the time of his awakening he realized complete insight into the cause of suffering, and the steps necessary to eliminate it. These discoveries became known as the "Four Noble Truths", which are at the heart of Buddhist teaching. Through mastery of these truths, a state of supreme liberation, or Nirvana, is believed to be possible for any being. The Buddha described Nirvāna as the perfect peace of a mind that's free from ignorance, greed, hatred and other afflictive states, or "defilements" (kilesas). Nirvana is also regarded as the "end of the world", in that no personal identity or boundaries of the mind remain. In such a state, a being is said to possess the Ten Characteristics, belonging to every Buddha.

In what seems to me to be its purest and simplest form, it is a philosophy and view that pain is inevitable, but that suffering can be transcended through physical and mental practices.

Sounds a lot like Scientology when you put it like that...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
21-08-2013, 12:52 PM
(21-08-2013 12:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Like any religion, there are different flavors. Some have a lot of woo, some less, some almost none.

How so?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-08-2013, 12:59 PM
(21-08-2013 10:25 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  They are just as nuts...

You have to put that in context. Saigon 1963 was a fucked up place and the world stood up and took notice that day.

Martyrdom at it's finest if you ask me.

21-08-2013, 01:05 PM
(21-08-2013 12:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Like any religion, there are different flavors. Some have a lot of woo, some less, some almost none.

No, it doesn't. No aliens.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-08-2013, 01:25 PM
(21-08-2013 01:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Sounds a lot like Scientology when you put it like that...

No, it doesn't. No aliens.

Or at least what Scientology claims to be about... they don't publicly acknowledge the alien part.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
21-08-2013, 01:30 PM
(21-08-2013 12:59 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 10:25 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  They are just as nuts...

You have to put that in context. Saigon 1963 was a fucked up place and the world stood up and took notice that day.

Martyrdom at it's finest if you ask me.

Bullshit... martyrdom is a disgusting idea in my opinion... he only did that because of religious delusions.

Sure, he had a political motive, but anyone with sense would value their life over a political belief. There is no ideology or belief that I would happily give my life for... I value it too much.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]