Buddhism and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2011, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2011 10:40 PM by The Doctor.)
Buddhism and Atheism
I am was watching a speech by Ajahn Brahm. A Buddhist Monk from Western Australia. His topic is about Buddhism and Atheism. Most of the speech is more about why we don't need to believe in a creator god.

It's about an hour long if you have the time too watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRutmoPEWaQ

He speaks about some good things. In Buddhism, you are responsible of your actions. In believing in a creator god can lead you too irresponsibility. A mention a study by Gregory Paul where it states that in areas who believe in a creator god. They are more likely to commit a crime, get a divorce and many un-moral things. How does this happen? Because the people gave their responsibility too a creator god. Believe in a creator god brings in absolutes. Which created MANY problems in the world. This video really interesting too Buddhists and Atheists alike. Also don't trust the books to tell your morality lies. You are responsibility for your moral guidelines. Trust your heart and not some creator.

Atheists have moral guidelines because they trust their hearts.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 08:31 AM
RE: Buddhism and Atheism
Which is why Buddhism has never started any wars, lead to mass genocide, or severe persecution. You are encouraged in to think is Buddhism, and it really makes a huge difference. A while ago Brit Hume made the comment that Tiger Woods(apparently a Buddhist) should become a Christian, because Buddhism doesn't offer forgiveness and spiritual healing, or some crap like that. I know, it's horrible. You can't say sorry to the invisible sky daddy, or confess your wrong doings to a man in a box who has nothing to do with anything, but to the people who you wronged? But that's so much harder...

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I never really bothered to look into Buddhism before, but watching this video makes it look cool. Perhaps I will convert Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Actually if I recall there have been a few wars between Buddhists and Hindus. I'm not as familiar with history in that part of the world as to name the time period but I will do some research on it when I get home from work.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
16-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I looked into Buddhism as a teenager, but, like all religions, I found that I could not accept all of their teachings. Buddhism promotes a belief in reincarnation, achieving "Nirvana" (really just a state of hallucination caused by lack of sleep and food), and about rejecting any and all "excess" in your life. This excess includes (admittedly, in extreme forms of Buddhism) a rejection of things such as identity and love, which are a large part of being human. I do agree with a lot of what Buddhism teaches, such as taking responsibility for one's actions, treating others with respect, and the benefits of meditation, etc., but these things can be done without being a Buddhist, so I've never seen the point in adhering to it.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
16-01-2011, 01:06 PM
(16-01-2011 11:49 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I do agree with a lot of what Buddhism teaches, such as taking responsibility for one's actions, treating others with respect, and the benefits of meditation, etc., but these things can be done without being a Buddhist, so I've never seen the point in adhering to it.

Definitely. These things should be taught by all parents and all schools.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
16-01-2011, 04:42 PM

It was Buddhism that eventually led me to Atheism. I absolutely love reading books on that religion. I don't think I could become a Buddhist, as I don't agree with everything the religion teaches, but I still agree with many of the main philosophies.
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2011 05:22 PM by The Doctor.)
For me I'm am not sure about rebirth and karma. My skeptic side of me is saying hold on, but my other side is saying respect it. Buddhist way is the most respectable philosophies on this planet. I do have a statue of Buddha in only for respect of the man and remember the 4 noble truths and eightfold path.
(16-01-2011 11:49 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I looked into Buddhism as a teenager, but, like all religions, I found that I could not accept all of their teachings. Buddhism promotes a belief in reincarnation,
Quote: achieving "Nirvana" (really just a state of hallucination caused by lack of sleep and food),

As for achieving Nirvana. That is something that needs to be researched some more. Also too the people who took drugs to achieve "nirvana." Majority of Buddhist scholars say that taking drugs destroys you. Buddha said to refrain from intoxications.

Quote: and about rejecting any and all "excess" in your life.

It does not. It asks for moderation aka "third way."

Quote: This excess includes (admittedly, in extreme forms of Buddhism) a rejection of things such as identity and love, which are a large part of being human.

That is not true. You can not be a Buddhist without the idea of identity and love. Love is a big part in Buddhism.

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

"We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them."

"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."

Buddhist show love. We are not mindless robots. We are human. Also when did you not see a Buddhist sharing love around. Helping others and showing respect.

Quote:but these things can be done without being a Buddhist, so I've never seen the point in adhering to it.

No, but he can be a great guide. Yet it is your path. You are the one who controls the path.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
17-01-2011, 08:21 PM
(16-01-2011 04:58 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
Quote: This excess includes (admittedly, in extreme forms of Buddhism) a rejection of things such as identity and love, which are a large part of being human.

That is not true. You can not be a Buddhist without the idea of identity and love. Love is a big part in Buddhism.

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

"We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them."

"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."

Buddhist show love. We are not mindless robots. We are human. Also when did you not see a Buddhist sharing love around. Helping others and showing respect.

To be fair, I did say in extreme forms of Buddhism, i.e. the monks who renounce their identities, live in solitude, and survive on as little as possible. There must be something in Buddhist teachings that would urge them to live their lives this way. I remember reading in one of my partner's Buddhist texts about this as an ideal way to live, but I may not be remembering correctly.

Like I said, I was a teenager when I looked into it. Maybe I just need to do some more research again Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
17-01-2011, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2011 09:15 PM by The Doctor.)
(17-01-2011 08:21 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  To be fair, I did say in extreme forms of Buddhism, i.e. the monks who renounce their identities, live in solitude, and survive on as little as possible. There must be something in Buddhist teachings that would urge them to live their lives this way. I remember reading in one of my partner's Buddhist texts about this as an ideal way to live, but I may not be remembering correctly.

Like I said, I was a teenager when I looked into it. Maybe I just need to do some more research again Tongue

Confused I guess I missed that part. oops. Sorry man.

Another thing about Buddhism is that if you read the text. Buddha had a great sense of humor. Heck remember "Super Best Friends"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMcVESkQeAI

At a Buddhist forum I chat on. A monk told us that if Buddha has here today. He would get a chuckle out of that.

lol

Yes, there are some who are extreme. I read there are monks who are so afraid of killing living things. They filter all their water, so hopefully they don't drink any microbes.