Bug splatter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Bug splatter
Went to the Grand Canyon by car. From Portland Oregon to the Grand Canyon it's about 1100 miles, so round trip was 2200 miles. We stopped for gas 5 times, each time cleaning the windshield of bug splatter.

Hubby and I each took turns counted one fourth of the window's bug splatters and averaged the number. It seemed to average around 118 bug splatters for 1/4 of the window, so around 472 bug splatters over the whole window. Cleaning the window off five times during the trip makes it around 2360 dead bugs. I haven't cleaned the window since we got home last night so I need to add another 472 dead bugs.

I'm not counting the front of the grill and the headlights which were splattered with bugs too. I cleaned the dead bugs off the headlights with each gas fill up too.

Total dead bugs on window was around........... 2832!

Thank you, thank you very much. Smartass

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-06-2016, 09:26 AM
RE: Bug splatter
thats quite a death toll. oh the humanity!
27-06-2016, 09:31 AM
(27-06-2016 09:26 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  thats quite a death toll. oh the humanity!

We figured there would be another 1000 dead bugs on the grill. We have a Volvo with a boxy front grill which it would catch more dead bugs than a car with a more tapered front grill. Killed many butterflies on the north side of the Grand Canyon. Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Ever caught a Junebug squarely between the eyes at 60 mph????

I have...

I don't recommend it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-06-2016, 07:01 PM
(27-06-2016 09:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Went to the Grand Canyon by car. From Portland Oregon to the Grand Canyon it's about 1100 miles, so round trip was 2200 miles. We stopped for gas 5 times, each time cleaning the windshield of bug splatter.

Hubby and I each took turns counted one fourth of the window's bug splatters and averaged the number. It seemed to average around 118 bug splatters for 1/4 of the window, so around 472 bug splatters over the whole window. Cleaning the window off five times during the trip makes it around 2360 dead bugs. I haven't cleaned the window since we got home last night so I need to add another 472 dead bugs.

I'm not counting the front of the grill and the headlights which were splattered with bugs too. I cleaned the dead bugs off the headlights with each gas fill up too.

That reminds me of when I was driving back from a field school in Olduvai Gorge to the city of Arusha in Tanzania (East Africa). Although it was the dry seasons, it started to rain hard but stopped shortly thereafter. I realized a moment later that we had driven through a giant swarm of bugs. I haven't seen anything like it since.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 07:44 PM
(27-06-2016 09:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Went to the Grand Canyon by car. From Portland Oregon to the Grand Canyon it's about 1100 miles, so round trip was 2200 miles. We stopped for gas 5 times, each time cleaning the windshield of bug splatter.

Genocide by holiday! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Not as many bugs as you had, by far, however-

My bride and I were out for a ride in my '64 Impala convertible, probably 34 YA (top down). We were out in the middle of the Antelope Valley, West bound on the 134, and I decided to open it up on a straightaway. At about 100 MPH, the alternator light came on. This car had a habit of throwing the fan belt at high RPM. No problem! I can just stop and roll it back on, and take it easy until I get to an auto parts store. Problem. We are now driving through a locust migration, and I can't stop there. Remember- the top is down, and in any event, I wasn't going out into the swarm to put that belt back on. Solution- I ran it back up to 100 MPH, and shut it off. The fan would free wheel and cool the engine while I coasted to a point where I was going slowly enough that the bugs could get into the car. Then, I'd fire it up, run up to speed, and shut it off again and coast, wife freaking out the whole time. There was one bug that got caught in the wiper blade on her side. It would slide up the windshield as speed increased, and pull itself down as speed decreased. I did that for what must have been 15 miles before we were out of the swarm and I could pull over and put the belt back on. Later, she discovered that she had lost her scarf back there. I said we could go back to get it, but that was a no-go. Good times! Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
27-06-2016, 07:50 PM
(27-06-2016 11:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ever caught a Junebug squarely between the eyes at 60 mph????

I have...

I don't recommend it...

You can tell a happy biker by the number of bugs on his teeth. Drinking Beverage I had a bubble, so no bugs in the face. My eyes tear up too much if I didn't have a bubble. Though I did have a bee that got funneled under my jacket, which I didn't discover until I took it off and found the tickle. It got all the way under my t-shirt. I took it outside and let it go. I wonder if it ever made it back to its hive. Stinky guy sweat all over it, yet. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Lol this is a great thread. I've been doing some counting myself lately and I appreciate your methodology Big Grin although mine had been less buggy and more plastic pieces on the beach....y.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
27-06-2016, 08:20 PM
We have Mayflies here. In the spring they hatch and form swarms. They're actually kind of pretty but..
[Image: Mayfly3_new.jpg]

their swarms are very problematic. They even show up on radar looking like huge storms.
[Image: blogmidgeswarm.JPG]

We were out fishing one evening when they began to hatch above us in the trees on the bluff where we had parked our boat. The fish love them so when they started flying and dropping into the water the fish started biting like crazy. They were hitting anything that hit the water even bare hooks the frenzy was so hot.

We were catching fishing as fast as we could reel in and throw back out but the Mays were also falling on us. The air got thicker and heavier with them as we reaped the fishing bonanza but very soon I started wiping them off my face and my glasses and I looked up and we were totally engulfed in these little fuckers. As I'm slightly claustrophobic I started to panic and when I called to my husband they flew in my mouth. The panic was on then.

He realized what was happening and he put down his fishing pole and started the boat. It cut out and I was near hysteria swatting flies like mad and trying not to breath them in. We finally got the boat started and got out of there. They were so thick in the air it was hard to see. We went 500 or 600 feet before we started to get clear of them. There were just millions of them on that bluff and the water was blanketed with them. Sadcryface

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post