Build a Space Elevator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 08:24 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: Build a Space Elevator
(22-02-2013 07:20 PM)Tamril Wrote:  Well so either im stupid or im too smart too understand it, but I have a force going to the center of the earth (gravitation). I also have a rotation speed of the earth (24 hours/day rotation z-axis) okay now : Imagen a ball that string is in the middle of your fist and you start to swing it, that the ball circels your fist. You see that the string is wapping around your fist. Okay now imagen a hugh metalstring that is in a right angel to the earth. Gravitation always goes to the middle of the mass (earthcenter) this means its like the ball's string in your fist. okay now because this case isnt that easy, we talk about a mass in space and his relative speed to the earth rotation. everything farer away than the geostationary orbit is slower than the earth's rotation (of course the mass will stay in his orbit) My point is the string would be (sure slowly) wapping around the earth which is useless.
My next point is that we still need the energy to bring the elevator up to the spacestation (of course we need less energy than by using a rocket because the mass is smaller Epot=m*g*h). But from my point of view we have E(all)=E(start)-E(frictional), okay with this in mind we need to get the string up there which causes a lot of problems (material, energy for the start, cuz hugh mass, big influenze of gravitation and diffenrent relatives speeds towards earth etc.)
Another thing to mention is the use of the spacestation. Im sure it would be amazing to build a spaceship or something like it in outerspace, but we have problems with radiation, low temprature, low gravity, and therefore special suites that are not made for constucting a spaceship Big Grin .But im sure the last point is not that big of a deal because we maybe can build a suit to fit our needs.

Tamril, I thought you were joking when you posted this but I re-read it and noticed it's just your English skills aren't good. Fair enough.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
22-02-2013, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 11:14 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(22-02-2013 06:36 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm a bit sceptical about the space elevator concept. One of the major problems - design tolerance. Radiation damage or debris in orbit hitting that cable that is already at its design limit.

Also what happens as you have this massive cable cutting through Earth's magnetic field? It generates huge amounts of electricity... just more stuff that cable needs to withstand.

A lunar space elevator is possible. On earth I would consider the other options..

I didn't see a laser launch system mentioned here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

Cable damage would have to be accounted for in the design. There are several acceptable solutions for this, one of which is to use a bundle of multiple cables, each one capable of supporting the design loads should the others fail. It is also possible to design in a repair system to heal small micrometorite impacts or collisions with space debris. We'd have to do a series of design studies for everything from weather damage and corrosion to aircraft collisions. That's part of any kind of design on this scale.

The earth's magnetic field is relatively weak and induced currents in the cable would be very low. Lightning strikes are a different story. A conductive grid would have to be woven into the cable. Also carbon itself is a very good conductor of electricity.

A lunar elevator would not be possible as the moon does not match position and angular velocity with terrestrial rotation.

Radiation damage would not be a problem for the cable but could pose a threat to crews on the lift car. The pressurized cassion for living occupants would have to be harded against radiation to keep levels and doses acceptable for the occupants. Again a simple matter for design.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
22-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Build a Space Elevator
We already risk radiation et al when we allow humans to venture into space anyway. Launching from an orbital platform is ideal compared to surface launches. It uses far less energy because we aren't traveling through atmosphere or attempting to escape gravity.

Overall, this would be a positive investment and a major milestone in human survival as the OP stated.

I just hope I live to see it.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
22-02-2013, 11:15 PM
(22-02-2013 11:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  We already risk radiation et al when we allow humans to venture into space anyway. Launching from an orbital platform is ideal compared to surface launches. It uses far less energy because we aren't traveling through atmosphere or attempting to escape gravity.

Overall, this would be a positive investment and a major milestone in human survival as the OP stated.

It uses a LOT less energy. The reason for the elevator is as a very economical means of escaping the gravity well of earth.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Build a Space Elevator
(22-02-2013 11:15 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 11:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  We already risk radiation et al when we allow humans to venture into space anyway. Launching from an orbital platform is ideal compared to surface launches. It uses far less energy because we aren't traveling through atmosphere or attempting to escape gravity.

It uses a LOT less energy. The reason for the elevator is as a very economical means of escaping the gravity well of earth.

With advances in robotics assembly and even some construction can even take place in orbit. The elevator would be transporting mostly materials.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
23-02-2013, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 02:17 AM by Phaedrus.)
The bulk of the work is welding the steel plate together.

Even with a space elevator, bringing the steel from earth via space elevator would be unfeasible. A large interplanetary or small interstellar Orion would have a pusher plate mass of around 3 million metric tons. That would take around 75 thousand space elevator deliveries. The best bet would be to build a smaller conventional ship in orbit and launch it to capture an M-type asteroid and use ion drives or a mass driver to move it to earth orbit, then refine the metal in space, cast it in sections, and weld it together. The propulsion units, more complicated steel shapes, the electronics, and the bulk of life support would be lifted from earth.

An interstellar Orion will not happen in our lifetimes, folks. 100 years minimum, likely 200 years. But anyone who says it isn't possible is simply ignorant of the facts and numbers.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
25-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Will there be like a suicide stop half way up?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-02-2013, 07:23 AM
(25-02-2013 04:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Will there be like a suicide stop half way up?
That stop halfway up is only for you. The elevator comes equipped with a big robotic leg to boot your ass out!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
25-02-2013, 07:33 AM
(25-02-2013 07:23 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 04:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Will there be like a suicide stop half way up?
That stop halfway up is only for you. The elevator comes equipped with a big robotic leg to boot your ass out!
Bit harsh don't ya think.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-02-2013, 07:58 AM
(25-02-2013 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 07:23 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  That stop halfway up is only for you. The elevator comes equipped with a big robotic leg to boot your ass out!
Bit harsh don't ya think.

Maybe, but we'll name it the 'Muffs Memorial Mezzanine. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post