Building A Better World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Building A Better World
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the arseholes at GodAndScience.Org. If I may be redundant: They're lying, disengenious arseholes.

They also havean open challenge to see if atheists can create a "more perfect world" than the one we currently inhabit.

I'm concidering applying/ entering/ whatever.
Don't get me wrong: I'm not expecting to convert people or even get the essay published on the site. As I've said: They're lying, disengenious arseholes. It's entirely plausible that they'll completely ignore any response without massive, easily defeatable problems.

When it comes to the phsical changes they're asking about the four fundamental forces: That's a trap. You'd be able to create a better set of conditions for us without fundamentally altering the universe.

I'm interested in two things:
-What would you change if you were just making "A World You Like."
-What would you submit in the interest of showing that you can create a better world? (So you're as difficult to refute/ ignore as possible.)

I have no strong opinion about the first one. Major changes are certainly going to have uncertain consequences and though it's not without merit: I think it's the less interesting question.

For the second I think small improvements are the most difficult to refute. All of these changes would meet their criteria of:

I'd give us the ability to see further and with greater acuity.
I'd give women the ability to control if an egg gets fertilized.
I'd halt tsunami's, earthquakes and volcano's.
And I'd like to ask about the logistics of that. Presumeably I'd need to halt tectonic drift and that'd mean a non-molten core. What are the side effects of that?
I'd change our physical make up in a way that removed the need for sleep and removed the possibility of starvation. We can still eat for gratification but the lack of food would no longer kill us. The same with lack of oxygen.
I don't know. I do it by magic. More concrete explinations would be appreciated.
I'd also change the materials our body are made up of: Jaws strong enough to crack rocks, skin tough enough that we can't get eaten by a shark. Stuff like that.

There are millions of other changes that could be made but I think those ones meet the criteria set out in the link and would result in a "more perfect universe" for us as gods chosen people. (Or something.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2015, 10:42 PM
RE: Building A Better World
I'd just get rid of religion. A world can't be truly perfect but a world without religion would be more perfect than ours now. We wouldn't have things like ISIS and Westboro Baptist Church.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-02-2015, 11:33 PM
(13-02-2015 10:37 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I'd halt tsunami's, earthquakes and volcano's.
And I'd like to ask about the logistics of that. Presumeably I'd need to halt tectonic drift and that'd mean a non-molten core. What are the side effects of that?

I'm no geologist, but I'm not sure why a lack of tectonic drift requires a non-molten core. Any venting of heat or gasses could be done through specific points that never change and never disgorge dangerously.

As for suggestions on how to make the world better, are we subject to 'feasible' or can we go all 'magic thinking'?

If magic thinking:
No disease. Effectively unlimited, clean energy. Near mindless elementals or 'golems' so we can have slaves without being/feeling like dicks about it. The inability to lie. Make pain effectively 'data', not the agony we see today.
14-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Let's start off with a Dyson sphere, where it's sunny all the time and the weather never gets cold. And if you want you can live on the outside where it's night all the time with a beautiful view of the galaxy.

I'll give everyone green skin so we can survive on sunlight alone. Everyone can fly and have a body that can easily survive in the cold of space if they wanted to.

Agressive war like tendencies would be gone and so would gullibility

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results