Building a PC - few questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2013, 11:57 AM
RE: Building a PC - few questions
(16-05-2013 10:07 AM)Filox Wrote:  That being said, I am amazed that none of you said RAID. RAID, minimum 2 SSDs in RAID, if you are spending this much money why not go with even more? RAID 0 for speed. Or if you want safety of your data then RAID 1 or RAID 5.

As far as I know the performance gain from RAID0 is less for SSDs than it is for disk drives. But if you want redundancy, then obviously that's the way to go.

Filox Wrote:Water cooling vs. air cooling... Noise is the thing you didn't consider here. Water cooling is better for multiple reasons. Since money is not the issue here, why save money on this? Water cooling is quiet, gives you more cooling and more OC options. Also, there are not so many air coolers for i7, or at least there weren't when I was getting i7 Extreme for my customer a few months ago. So you will probably have a bigger choice of water systems.

General handyman's rule is that if anything's going to go wrong, it's plumbing. So I'm always wary of liquid cooling (tbh probably far more than is warranted). And it's not like things are really that noisy these days anyway, with big, low-freq fans (and they're usually throttled). Sure, it might rate +40-50 dB (at peak - and mostly from the GPU cooler) in an anechoic chamber, but versus your everyday background noise? Negligible - least in my experience.

Filox Wrote:And now for something completely different. ...

I figured if it was a work-oriented machine he'd've said so; in which case, yeah, Xeons and Quadros... But it seemed more, 'occasional rendering and video processing on a home gaming machine' than vice versa.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2013, 01:08 PM
(16-05-2013 11:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
Filox Wrote:And now for something completely different. ...

I figured if it was a work-oriented machine he'd've said so; in which case, yeah, Xeons and Quadros... But it seemed more, 'occasional rendering and video processing on a home gaming machine' than vice versa.

This is true, but when you are spending this much money on a PC, why not compare it with the prices of a Workstation... It may not be such a huge difference financially, yet it is a whole new level of engineering.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
16-05-2013, 10:26 PM
The only two people I know who have done water cooling have both had leaks. One actually worked out the kinks, but I don't really want the hassle.

Besides, I use closed studio monitor headphones most of the time, and my recording gear is in the next room, so I'll rarely be hearing the fans. I'm also getting a fan controller, since this case doesn't come with one, but has 8 fans, 3 of which are 230mm, the floor is 37db. By comparison, the case my brother just got, has a floor of 30.5db. However, because the case has such good airflow, and the fans are running full speed all the time (until I install the controller), the noise levels at load are not that bad.

I was considering a workstation, but this really is more of a gaming rig I'm looking to build.

I imagine I'll likely keep this case for my next build, since it accepts any size mobo and any cooling solutions.
17-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Then we are back to RAID system disks, this is a must have if you are spending so much money, maybe a stand-alone high quality RAID controller would be nice as well, because the one that is integrated in the motherboard is never good enough.

There is one other thing I would suggest and it is not a part of PC, but will help in the long run. AC cleaner/stabilizer with some UPS battery. You really do not want a stupid lightning to burn any of your components, do you? Also, your whole computer will work a bit cooler, faster and more stable if the current is stable and clean, with less noise and oscillations. Mostly, it will save your PSU, as it will have to do less current corrections, it will be more cool and have to do less work, thus it will last longer, as well as everything else.

Just be careful, you need something that can handle at least 1KW of power.

Also, be sure your wall sockets are good.

For really great sound I recommend these: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/audio-headph...ifi-hd-558
Incredibly good, but they are not monitors and are open-type. High-end, not studio, much better for listening and enjoying music than monitors. My brother has them, only in white.

-Hunter S. Thompson
17-05-2013, 08:52 AM
(16-05-2013 10:26 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The only two people I know who have done water cooling have both had leaks. One actually worked out the kinks, but I don't really want the hassle.

Yup. I'll say it again (to paraphrase the tradesmen in my family): never trust plumbing.

(17-05-2013 12:31 AM)Filox Wrote:  There is one other thing I would suggest and it is not a part of PC, but will help in the long run. AC cleaner/stabilizer with some UPS battery.
Just be careful, you need something that can handle at least 1KW of power.

Also, be sure your wall sockets are good.

Seconding this, too. You're already being decadent - why not paranoid too?
But seriously, better safe than sorry. Power regulation and battery backup are an amazing failsafe. And as mentioned it can in theory ease the job your PSU does.

Quote:For really great sound I recommend these: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/audio-headph...ifi-hd-558
Incredibly good, but they are not monitors and are open-type. High-end, not studio, much better for listening and enjoying music than monitors. My brother has them, only in white.
I've got the - well, I don't recall offhand the model, and I'm at work now so I can't check, but I've got the couple-years-back version of those (555, maybe?). Very nice headphones for the high-end but casual consumer.
24-05-2013, 12:48 AM
The new GTX 780 was just released today (yesterday)

So I just ordered 3 of these EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ACX cooler...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.asp...P4-2784-KR

Should get them next week! I hope they run Pong at maximum.
24-05-2013, 01:48 AM
I completely agree with CLJR's opening post.
And you have waaaay too much money to spend.
As for the VRAM issue, don't worry about it. No software currently on the market can use such a tremendous amount. Especcially if you lighten the load with 32GB of RAM.

And as for Filox's RAID comments, he's already using an SSD.
He won't notice much of a speed increase.
And: if 1 RAID drive crashes, the data on the rest is useless too.
Also you'd basically need to keep a spare 3rd drive around of the exact same type as the first 2, or you'd have to replace them both if it happened.
It's one of the most useless inventions ever, as far as the consumermarket goes.

Consider bitcoin mining in your idle time, make some of the money back.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
24-05-2013, 07:45 AM
(24-05-2013 12:48 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The new GTX 780 was just released today (yesterday)

So I just ordered 3 of these EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ACX cooler...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.asp...P4-2784-KR

Should get them next week! I hope they run Pong at maximum.

The performance gains from triple-SLI are just so marginal.

You are a madman on the price/performance curve.

Out of morbid curiousity, where are you getting your parts from?
24-05-2013, 07:58 AM
3 cards in SLI? I would rather go for that one stronger card, that Titan. It is a better thing somehow, but since you already bought these 3, you are now stuck with them. Enjoy. Big Grin

Anyhow, let us know about the whole thing when you connect it together.

As for RAID, he doesn't necessary need to go on RAID one for speed, he can do data safety with some of th other fields. Just a suggestion, since he has that much money, why not overdo it, it's only 1-4 more SSDs. Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson