Building a Personal God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Building a Personal God
I haven't written a recent blog article that I felt was worth sharing on the forum, but this one seems appropriate.

Ozzie - you might enjoy this based on the Pew Forum study.

Erx, KC - you might enjoy the Calvinistic aspects here as well Smile

http://seanasbury.wordpress.com/2012/10/...sonal-god/

It also provides a bit of a backstory to my own adaptation of Christianity I created in my own mind en route to pulling the plug and stepping aboard the Nebuchadnezzar...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 06:26 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: Building a Personal God
Building a personal god is simply a last ditch effort to believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationaliza...excuses%29

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
(12-10-2012 06:23 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Building a personal god is simply a last ditch effort to believe.

fstrat - don't you think everyone does this though? Reference to church shoppers. Think every believer essentially creates the god they want in their mind, then searches for the support system to enable it...just my thought... Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Building a Personal God
It's good to get a bit more of the story of what was going on in your Jeebus years. Thumbsup

And an interesting breakdown on the Calvies. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Building a Personal God
(12-10-2012 06:26 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 06:23 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Building a personal god is simply a last ditch effort to believe.

fstrat - don't you think everyone does this though? Reference to church shoppers. Think every believer essentially creates the god they want in their mind, then searches for the support system to enable it...just my thought... Wink

I don't think it's a last ditch effort either. I think everyone has a different idea of god because it is allegedly a personal relationship with the deity, so probably ever person has a different vibe about what that relationship means to them. I did not recognize this as a Christian. I felt I was representing the god that all True Believers believed in. It really wasn't until I came to TTA that it clicked that even the most devout followers are going to see godness in an individual way.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-10-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 07:01 PM by fstratzero.)
(12-10-2012 06:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 06:26 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  fstrat - don't you think everyone does this though? Reference to church shoppers. Think every believer essentially creates the god they want in their mind, then searches for the support system to enable it...just my thought... Wink

I don't think it's a last ditch effort either. I think everyone has a different idea of god because it is allegedly a personal relationship with the deity, so probably ever person has a different vibe about what that relationship means to them. I did not recognize this as a Christian. I felt I was representing the god that all True Believers believed in. It really wasn't until I came to TTA that it clicked that even the most devout followers are going to see godness in an individual way.

I could see how people start with a personalized version of god, and then base beliefs on that. I have to agree with you on that.

Personally I never thought about god or his attributes, just believed it. Later on during my deconversion I had to personalize god to deal with contradictions that kept coming up. Until the point where I couldn't cut any more things out of his attributes that would allow it to have god status.

However I wonder how many people define their own god and move on from there?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
(12-10-2012 06:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's good to get a bit more of the story of what was going on in your Jeebus years. Thumbsup

And an interesting breakdown on the Calvies. Smile

I had to give my buddy crap for his outlook. I think he has abusive deity syndrome - he's a battered believer...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post
12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
jyst go read some ra salvatore and follow his god.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I notice when people do go church shopping, if they don't agree with what the church is preaching or doing then it is 'evil' and tainted by the devil. Once it fits who they are then the church is good and they can feel God's strong presence there (personalizing it).
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Now THIS Will Be Fun! Satanic Temple To Put Statue At Oklahoma Capitol Building! WindyCityJazz 14 334 05-05-2014 08:45 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Personal Prophesy DarkHorse 3 158 24-02-2014 11:35 PM
Last Post: toadaly
  Ethics and Personal Responsibility Dark Phoenix 18 369 08-02-2014 01:53 AM
Last Post: Dark Phoenix
  your best argument against a personal god? hestarq 26 1,052 22-04-2013 06:42 AM
Last Post: Andrew_Njonjo
  What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate? DeavonReye 82 2,193 03-03-2013 07:36 AM
Last Post: DeavonReye
  Why people do not doubt they had personal experiences with God? sydorenkoalex 7 414 24-12-2012 01:48 PM
Last Post: Thinkerbelle
  Jesus has left the building houseofcantor 16 705 13-07-2012 10:41 PM
Last Post: Noelani