Building stuff.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 06:31 AM
Building stuff.
I know there's some pretty creative people on the forum -- so here's a thread for stuff you made. Be it steel, wood, plastic, or yarn.....

Here's one I did -- it looks simple - but it's actually been in development for a number of years -- this is the V 2.5 or so....

It's an arch. That's what you call a device for cooking down maple syrup.

The pan is stainless steel with directional baffles (the lines just visible in the sap) that direct the sap as boiled - allowing you to draw off finished syrup even as fresh sap is feeding into the pan -- the two tanks on either side are pre-heat and heat up the cold sap (35f up to about 150f before it hits the pan). The feed is into the right tank - crosses underneath to the left - then from the left hand tank into the main pan in the upper left corner - and comes out as syrup on the bottom right front.....

This is the "business end" - where the wood is fed in through the airtight door.

[Image: syrup%20season%202016%20009_zpseacypjbo....2191551048]

Note - there been one slight change since this picture was taken - the air dampening butterfly on the door has been moved down to the bottom of the door.

This is a unique arch -- in that the fire grate is height adjustable -- allowing you to cook on coals - and even shut down the heat for finishing batches of syrup.

[Image: syrup%20season%202016%20016_zpsiyhuprlt....2191599275]

[Image: syrup%20season%202016%20017_zpscju260ax....2191599274]

It's controlled by the two levers you see in this picture -- the large part of the lever is a lead filled steel pipe - as a counterweight. It only takes a few pounds of pressure to move the grate upwards - when fully loaded with wood --and will stay in the up position, till you put it back down.

[Image: syrup%20season%202016%20013_zpsatjrxudi....2191599276]

So I showed you mine --- show me yours....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-05-2016, 07:53 AM
RE: Building stuff.
very nice! that last pic helped me visualize the flow you were describing. How much syrup do you process on average?
02-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Here's a whimsical one. It's an old propane tank that passed its test date, and I had more, so I didn't see a point in a new hydro test. Meet Petunia, the pink pig. Freaked the dogs out when I put her in the back yard.

[Image: rF9VcA8.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like Fireball's post
02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
(02-05-2016 07:53 AM)skyking Wrote:  very nice! that last pic helped me visualize the flow you were describing. How much syrup do you process on average?

We keep expanding - and getting less.....Blink

The sugar content has been shitty the last three years. My best year I did 42 gallons -- on 90 trees... This year -- 37 gallons on 225 trees. We boiled over 2000 gallons of sap down to those 37 gallons.. A whole buncha BTU's.....

We're going for over 300 trees next year.

And going from hand carried buckets to 55 gallon drums and a transfer pump.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
(02-05-2016 08:39 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Here's a whimsical one. It's an old propane tank that passed its test date, and I had more, so I didn't see a point in a new hydro test. Meet Petunia, the pink pig. Freaked the dogs out when I put her in the back yard.

Love it. Artistry in iron...

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-05-2016, 11:42 AM
(02-05-2016 10:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 08:39 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Here's a whimsical one. It's an old propane tank that passed its test date, and I had more, so I didn't see a point in a new hydro test. Meet Petunia, the pink pig. Freaked the dogs out when I put her in the back yard.

Love it. Artistry in iron...

Big Grin

Thanks!
02-05-2016, 12:35 PM
That would have been a great video. Whenever I put new yard art in one of the beds, my JRT would blow a gasket Smile
02-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Plans? Bill of materials? Consider

I have the tank. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2016, 07:23 PM
(02-05-2016 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Plans? Bill of materials? Consider

I have the tank. Yes

Crank the valve off the tank and put it in the pile of copper alloy junk you are going to use later for something else. Place the tank so that the opening is down and leave it for a few days to allow the heavier-than-air propane to drain out. Just to be safe- I don't think it should matter too much. You could also purge the tank with compressed air. I used a piece of wood for the face. Drill two holes for carriage bolts, paint the heads black, those are the eyes. Cut a hole in the wood to fit the paint cap nose. I'd recommend a piece of steel plate for the face, since the elements have caused that piece of wood to decompose, even here in California. I used the paint can plastic cap for the nose. In this case, Krylon "Berry Frost". Closest I could get to hot pink. For the legs/feet, I used the bottoms of the legs of a cheap imported porch swing that was otherwise trashed. The plastic feet look pretty much like a hoof, but not all that cloven. You could just heat up some exhaust tubing that you may have around and split it with a chisel. The ears are galvanized steel sheet metal, cut to shape and pop-riveted on. No real plan, just an off-the cuff bit of whimsy.

One of my sons has a little paint left over from when he had his car painted. It is "Sublime Green", as would be seen on a '70 Dodge. https://www.google.com/search?q=Sublime+...8&oe=utf-8 He's going to use another expired tank for a pig of his own. Green pig? What's he been drinkin'? Dry cleaning fluid? Tongue
02-05-2016, 07:25 PM
(02-05-2016 12:35 PM)skyking Wrote:  That would have been a great video. Whenever I put new yard art in one of the beds, my JRT would blow a gasket Smile

I hadn't thought of it at the time. When I brought the dog over to look at it, she ran straight backwards about 10 feet before turning around to finish running away!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post