Building stuff.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: Building stuff.
(05-07-2016 12:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 11:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Please do!!

Just trimmed off a piece of the end of the beam (the previous mounting holes all wrong for this application...). Weighed the cut off piece -- figured weight of I beam... 1100 lbs - and I have to hang this over my head by 8 bolts, 20 feet in the air.... sound like fun??

Big Grin

No, not really. Good luck.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 12:08 PM
(04-07-2016 09:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Basement:this space was completely unfinished. So yeah the man did this work...

[Image: 2wgf894.jpg]

The bar he built wraps around. Smile

[Image: 24mua35.jpg]

That is awesome!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
10-07-2016, 12:11 PM
(05-07-2016 11:26 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I did some carpentry , few coffee tables, chess board , nothing major

[Image: b4ggmf.jpg]

[Image: ncfg5x.jpg]

[Image: 1zb9ctl.jpg]

[Image: 2i42kk.jpg]

[Image: 2uqycsy.jpg]

[Image: 2h2jrie.jpg]

That's stunning! I'd play chess with you at that coffee table Smile I especially like the thing in the first and second picture. What is it?

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
10-07-2016, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 12:26 PM by skyking.)
2015 was the year of the remodel.
This is really a kitchen remodel, but it starts in what was my office. Smile

We tore out the closet in that guest room to build a murphy bed/closet combination across one wall. We picked out a flooring color in Vinyl Composite Tile (VCT), the same commercial stuff you see in schools and hospitals. We will use the same flooring in the next room we do, and it will have rolling chairs in there. VCT is tough and can be cleaned up and waxed for many years. The flooring was a couple weeks out so I started building the murphy wall.
[Image: murphy1_zpse9c065f6.jpg]

These are the closet units that form each side of the murphy bed. They are 89" high, and about 24" by 24". The bottom is a big shoe drawer, and the top two spaces are behind one door.

We have an armoire in the living room that Mary had built in 1985. It will be moved to that room, so I decided to copy it for the built ins. It is red oak, and has a simple slab door design with 3/16" by 2" applied to the face of the door to resemble a standard shaker door construction. It was fast and easy.. I will take more pics as they are just about done now.

I picked up the flooring yesterday and got started today. I had already put down ironply subflooring to match the rest of the floor height.

I snapped a line and "set the beam". This is the first two rows of tile, and must be set straight and left to dry a while. (This is according to the pros, this is my first go at VCT Big Grin )
[Image: murphy4_zps621d869b.jpg]

[Image: murphy3_zps29f4d868.jpg]

Taking that much needed break now to let things set up.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
10-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Slapped together some big shoe drawers from oak veneer plywood.
[Image: murphy9_zps129702c5.jpg]

Got the face frames and doors built, cabinets installed, and built the bed platform. My friend is inside there putting in some fasteners. Russer was very concerned!
[Image: murphy15_zpsb908b656.jpg]

The wall of murphy.
I was going through a natural kick, and chose to leave the oak unstained.
[Image: murphy25_zpssiqhjznr.jpg]

Shot of the corner of the design inspiration, into the murphy room. That cabinet now resides in there.
[Image: murphy20_zps2i9jb0zb.jpg]
10-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Now the guest room was moved so to speak, so that room became the future sewing room. My wife's quilting operation dominated the end of the dining room, and we figured it had to move for the kitchen remodel.
Just moving in there would have left us isolated, so we hacked a 4' doorway into that room from the great room.
[Image: sewing2_zpsgjqqmpvv.jpg]

I used a biscuit joiner, clamps, glue, and a solid oak strip top and bottom to put together a pair of cheap 24" pocket door slabs from HD. A real 48" barn door was going to b e expensive and heavy.

[Image: biscuitdoor_zpsiozdv0x6.jpg]

I hung the door with a 1" space so we could mount a quilt on it.
The transition piece is hard cherry, Machined up on the saw to the 3 different flloorings and back relieved to prevent cupping.
[Image: biscuitdoor3_zpshsgknzau.jpg]
Now I could get to the kitchen. First thing that had to happen was move out of our little master closet so I could move some walls.
[Image: closet1_zpsn2hs0hz3.jpg]
That big hole is so I could use some of the space over the fridge inside the closet.
The rest is here in this thread.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid923853
10-07-2016, 01:00 PM
(10-07-2016 12:11 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 11:26 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I did some carpentry , few coffee tables, chess board , nothing major

[Image: b4ggmf.jpg]

[Image: ncfg5x.jpg]

[Image: 1zb9ctl.jpg]

[Image: 2i42kk.jpg]

[Image: 2uqycsy.jpg]

[Image: 2h2jrie.jpg]

That's stunning! I'd play chess with you at that coffee table Smile I especially like the thing in the first and second picture. What is it?

It's also a coffee table, just a really large one ( it is not finished in the second picture, that's just the top of it) , that one was for my friend , chessboard and the coffee table from the last picture were for me and I still have them.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
10-07-2016, 01:23 PM
(10-07-2016 12:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  2015 was the year of the remodel.

We tore out the closet in that guest room to build a murphy bed/closet combination across one wall. We picked out a flooring color in Vinyl Composite Tile (VCT), the same commercial stuff you see in schools and hospitals. We will use the same flooring in the next room we do, and it will have rolling chairs in there. VCT is tough and can be cleaned up and waxed for many years. The flooring was a couple weeks out so I started building the murphy wall.

These are the closet units that form each side of the murphy bed. They are 89" high, and about 24" by 24". The bottom is a big shoe drawer, and the top two spaces are behind one door.

We have an armoire in the living room that Mary had built in 1985. It will be moved to that room, so I decided to copy it for the built ins. It is red oak, and has a simple slab door design with 3/16" by 2" applied to the face of the door to resemble a standard shaker door construction. It was fast and easy.. I will take more pics as they are just about done now.

I picked up the flooring yesterday and got started today. I had already put down ironply subflooring to match the rest of the floor height.

I snapped a line and "set the beam". This is the first two rows of tile, and must be set straight and left to dry a while. (This is according to the pros, this is my first go at VCT Big Grin )

Nice! So, you like coffee, eh? Yes (First pic)
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-07-2016, 01:27 PM
(10-07-2016 01:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 12:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  2015 was the year of the remodel.

Nice! So, you like coffee, eh? Yes (First pic)

LOL, Pete's shop and his folger's screw cans.
I'm a proper coffee snob and grind my own beans Drinking Beverage
10-07-2016, 01:34 PM
(10-07-2016 01:27 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 01:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Nice! So, you like coffee, eh? Yes (First pic)

LOL, Pete's shop and his folger's screw cans.
I'm a proper coffee snob and grind my own beans Drinking Beverage

I was just amused at all those jugs! I drink Taster's Choice instant.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post