Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
(22-08-2012 07:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am sorry, but why are you still posting? You could be helping those children at this moment.

So any philanthropist who doesn't give all his money away is a hypocrite ? Anyone who has an idea that governments should spend more money on poor people, unless he himself is actively spending his last cent on poor people, it's OK not to listen to him 'cos he's a damn hypocrite. Oh yes, very logical.

I am saying that your criticism is ridiculous when you spend your time using unnecessary modern conveniences. Why do you do that when others don't have access to them? I agree with your stance that we should help those in need, but unless you are prepared to stop wasting time on an internet forum, watching t.v, or any other needless modern convenience, I don't think you have much room for scrutiny.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2012, 09:41 AM
(22-08-2012 09:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am saying that your criticism is ridiculous when you spend your time using unnecessary modern conveniences. Why do you do that when others don't have access to them? I agree with your stance that we should help those in need, but unless you are prepared to stop wasting time on an internet forum, watching t.v, or any other needless modern convenience, I don't think you have much room for scrutiny.

... So yours is not ridiculous because... ? Oh right, you waste your time but at least it's not hypocritical because you spend your time advocating useless ideas at the same time as using the useless forum Big Grin Incidentally, I agree with Muffs but it was not me who made the original comment which sent you off onto your little angry dance about hypocrisy.
22-08-2012, 09:44 AM
(22-08-2012 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... So yours is not ridiculous because... ? Oh right, you waste your time but at least it's not hypocritical because you spend your time advocating useless ideas at the same time as using the useless forum Big Grin

How is it useless? Drinking Beverage

(22-08-2012 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Incidentally, I agree with Muffs but it was not me who made the original comment which sent you off onto your little angry dance about hypocrisy.

Who said I was angry? Huh

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-08-2012, 09:57 AM
... OK reevaluation needed Tongue I was kinda reading your words under the assumption that you were raging... the old inability to convey emotions through text again...

To be clear:
You advocate the idea that building USS Enterprise as described here is a good idea and not a waste of money, correct?

I advocate the idea that it is indeed a waste of money and we have better things to do with the said money.

Now that Muffs has supplied an example of one of the claimed "better things" you claim that unless Muffs is some kinda cross between Zombie Jesus and Mahatma Gandhi he is being hypocritical, and therefore somehow this makes his example invalid?
22-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Feeding the poor is just one example. It was used to get my point across that there is far better things to spend that kind of money on now.
It doesn't have to be feed the poor. It could be improve infrastructure in developing countries (or even in developed). You could put it towards cancer research or something similar. I know the children's hospital could always use money for the latest and greatest machines.
There is many many much better options on how to use that money then this stupid idea.
But everyone has goggle eyes and all they see is 'really cool spaceship!!!' when you have to be practical. And being practical and thinking things through of what to do with that sort of money, this is at the bottom of the list.

Deep (and LJ if I remember correctly?) are the only ones that have presented any viable option for space program things. That being asteroid mining and mining the moon. Both of which are cheaper then this waste of money and could be done by corporations (aka, not tax payer dollars).

No arguments for this or colonizing Mars or whatever the fuck are anywhere near viable or worth the money and effort. Because people may get sick of me blabbing on about the moneyz, but the truth is that it's the moneyz that makes the world go round like or not. And so you have to look at these things and ask, 'what is the end result', 'is that result of doing this worth the investment', 'can we achieve the same result in a more cost effect way', 'what else could that money be spent on'

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-08-2012, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2012 03:38 PM by Logica Humano.)
(22-08-2012 10:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Feeding the poor is just one example. It was used to get my point across that there is far better things to spend that kind of money on now.
It doesn't have to be feed the poor. It could be improve infrastructure in developing countries (or even in developed). You could put it towards cancer research or something similar. I know the children's hospital could always use money for the latest and greatest machines.
There is many many much better options on how to use that money then this stupid idea.
But everyone has goggle eyes and all they see is 'really cool spaceship!!!' when you have to be practical. And being practical and thinking things through of what to do with that sort of money, this is at the bottom of the list.

Deep (and LJ if I remember correctly?) are the only ones that have presented any viable option for space program things. That being asteroid mining and mining the moon. Both of which are cheaper then this waste of money and could be done by corporations (aka, not tax payer dollars).

No arguments for this or colonizing Mars or whatever the fuck are anywhere near viable or worth the money and effort. Because people may get sick of me blabbing on about the moneyz, but the truth is that it's the moneyz that makes the world go round like or not. And so you have to look at these things and ask, 'what is the end result', 'is that result of doing this worth the investment', 'can we achieve the same result in a more cost effect way', 'what else could that money be spent on'

I asked how it was useless, not whether or not it was comparable with funding a children's hospital.

22-08-2012, 08:20 PM
(22-08-2012 03:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 10:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Feeding the poor is just one example. It was used to get my point across that there is far better things to spend that kind of money on now.

I asked how it was useless, not whether or not it was comparable with funding a children's hospital.

Are you kidding me? I'm not gonna repeat myself for the millionth time, if you wanna know why it's useless go back and read my posts and think a little.

Get back to be when you do and if you are still confused I will dumb it down for you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-08-2012, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2012 09:12 PM by Logica Humano.)
(22-08-2012 08:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 03:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I asked how it was useless, not whether or not it was comparable with funding a children's hospital.

Are you kidding me? I'm not gonna repeat myself for the millionth time, if you wanna know why it's useless go back and read my posts and think a little.

Get back to be when you do and if you are still confused I will dumb it down for you.

*facepalm* Useless implies there is no use.

This:
[Image: enterprise-ncc-17016.gif]

Has several uses, as seen by the schematics supplied by the professional engineers.

Educate yourself.

22-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I think this might have it's uses... though there are other things that need to be put in place first. Mining asteroids for starters.

Once we mine asteroids we will have all the raw materials needed in space. No need to ship metal into space from earth.

Though once that happens technology might have changed so much that the needs of the ships change. A cylindrical Heinlein generation ship might be more suitable, and comfortable.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
23-08-2012, 12:31 AM
The ship is not useless once it ceases to be hypothetical.

The cost of making that happen is too high.

The professional engineers thing - wow, way cool.

Say someone gave you 50 billion, is it more responsible to:
a. chase a pipe dream?
b. fix some of the shit wrong with our own planet, which will affect a hell of a lot more people. Hey it might even result in enough prosperity that you'll get your starship too, eventually.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post