Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 11:25 PM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
I just think it is hilarious if anyone thinks that people will look at one huge scientific investment and then decide that it is better to invest that money into something not scientific (so not their area of expertise) and save a bunch of lives/make someone's life better. It does SOUND nice, but that shit never happened and will never happen.

And stop with the insults ears, it does not suit you. We are DEBATING here about a FICTIONAL IDEA for something that will 99% never happen. The point is that you have your arguments and some people have some other arguments and it is not always that you can just refute someone's theories, because these are all just theories and we can all just speculate. That means that you are not 100% sure about anything you said here, neither are we. Why? Because we do not KNOW how and what MAY happen, we can only SPECULATE.

Thank you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
24-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Many people seem to have weird ideas about costs for space travel. One of the main problems is Nasa does things in a way that is outrageously expensive.

If space travel were taken seriously we would be able to drop launch cost by 2 orders of magnitude (x100) with currently achievable technology. The only reason it's so expensive is because we never want to launch allot in large quantities.

Most people should at least be able to agree on this: Governments don't spend most of their money wisely. There is allot of waste.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
24-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Building the starship USS Enterprise
I like Tang. I want the next space effort to produce something as wonderful.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-08-2012, 12:42 AM
One other thing about this and similar projects. If someone has estimated that the production cost for something is one trillion dollars today, in 10-20 years that number will drop at least 10-20% due to new technologies, new materials and stuff like that. So all one needs to do is wait for a short period and things start to look a bit better. Too expensive? OK, let's wait a bit for the production prices to go down a bit. Right?

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-08-2012, 01:03 AM
But the estimates you guys are talking about are cooked up by this random guy on his website. I can't find anything to say that he has any idea? I mean, sure he was some kind of engineer, but his grandiose plans for this ship seem to be based in fairy tales. I mean, how the hell can he tell you the specific weight of the damn second generation ship when he says airily "Oh the tech to power the damn thing hasn't been researched yet"? He can tell you how *fast* the fucking thing will go for crying out loud, based on tech which doesn't exist. He's a dreamer. Nothing more.
27-08-2012, 01:04 AM
(27-08-2012 12:42 AM)Filox Wrote:  One other thing about this and similar projects. If someone has estimated that the production cost for something is one trillion dollars today, in 10-20 years that number will drop at least 10-20% due to new technologies, new materials and stuff like that. So all one needs to do is wait for a short period and things start to look a bit better. Too expensive? OK, let's wait a bit for the production prices to go down a bit. Right?

Wrong. With inflation due to the over-spending of most of the worlds governments on worthless things, like bailing out corrupt banks and welfare for people who have decided that they just don't want to work for a living. a trillion now will be at least 30 in 20 years.
27-08-2012, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 06:32 AM by DeepThought.)
(27-08-2012 01:04 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 12:42 AM)Filox Wrote:  One other thing about this and similar projects. If someone has estimated that the production cost for something is one trillion dollars today, in 10-20 years that number will drop at least 10-20% due to new technologies, new materials and stuff like that. So all one needs to do is wait for a short period and things start to look a bit better. Too expensive? OK, let's wait a bit for the production prices to go down a bit. Right?

Wrong. With inflation due to the over-spending of most of the worlds governments on worthless things, like bailing out corrupt banks and welfare for people who have decided that they just don't want to work for a living. a trillion now will be at least 30 in 20 years.

A computer the power of a wrist watch cost as much dollar wise 30 years ago as fast new computer today. What happened to inflation? Shouldn't a computer cost $100,000 by now?

I would say Filox got it right. In general terms we are finding ways with modern technology to do things better and cheaper.

Have you checked out Bigelow Aerospace and what they are doing with their inflatable space modules?

http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/genesis-2.php

They can create space station modules as secure or stronger than the metal cylinders used in the ISS that have MUCH more room at a fraction of the cost and substantial weight reductions.

Trends are showing in general that cost goes down as technology progresses.

I think there is plenty of money to be made by getting into space. It's a matter of spending it wisely. Problem is it to initially build up the launch industry requires a huge initial investment and that's where Government should step in. We need large launch capacities at a much reduced cost.

I'm not saying building a large ship should be the first goal though. I think the first goal should be space industries that yield substantial profits in the near future. Space solar power, or asteroid mining. These projects would require launch capacity at scales which we haven't come close to yet. It would help if he could launch more that 100 tonnes at a time. Maybe 1000 tones in one go would be handy. Or a cheap way to launch lots of smaller 20-50 tonne payloads and assemble stuff in space.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
13-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Hey, for no apparent reason (other than to piss off earmuffs) I want to bump this thread.

There.

Big Grin

[Image: uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-12.jpg]

-Hunter S. Thompson
13-11-2012, 06:00 AM
[Image: 23757482.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-11-2012, 06:14 AM
[Image: homer-woohoo.png]

-Hunter S. Thompson