Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2012, 08:57 PM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
(21-06-2012 08:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-06-2012 08:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, that's how it works... Dodgy

Obviously you are too emotional to discuss this subject rationally... asshat. Big Grin
Hey, you were the one that said it not me, old man.
Yeah, that's what it says... Dodgy

I wuz just pulling your tail. Lookit. Evolution is limited to a zero-sum game in a fixed, singular ecology. Living systems have but two options: growth or stagnation. You say things like "we," but I don't need you to build a "wormhole of tao." And that dang Gwynnies won't allow me to exclude Kiwis, so there it is. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote: I wuz just pulling your tail.
But I don't have a tail............................................................................​.?

[Image: omg_face_by_lbp2fan23-d3f0vip.jpg]
and I thought I was the only gay in the village.. Consider

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
22-06-2012, 12:00 AM
(21-06-2012 08:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote: If we can get the entire Earth to abandon existing social and economic
castes in favor of a life built around a new society and space
exploration
You sir are fucking dreaming.
And you, mister, are a dream killer!

Lookit, I'm going to go do some research next year (yeah, it's going to take time... unfortunately that's the case). I'm going to a top notch convention with lots of good info.

On a serious note, what is the saying? 'You give a man a fish, he'll feed himself for a day; you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime'. Can't we apply this to all of mankind? You know, one step for man, one giant step for mankind? We may seem frail, like an ant. but look at ant colonies that take over and become pests. Kinda like 7 billion of us crawling all over a planet, no?

Human imagination and creativity has spun us forward, why is a dream so bad? Nothing wrong with aiming high, at least it's forward.

No one solution is going to fix all world problems. That's like saying learn to tie your shoe so you can eat supper.
22-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Colonizing a planet is far from only a dream. I actually think it would be far more difficult to "sort our own planet" first than it would be to spread our species to another planet. We've talked about mars for a long time. If we're to survive longterm before we end up blowing each other up, it would make more sense to get our butts on another planet in case that happens. IF we want to survive long term. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll get lucky and there won't be a major extinction event that has been repeated over the millions of years that affected all the other species on the planet.

While I think it would be great to sort out our own planet, the largest boundary is boundaries themselves between nations. People seem to want to be separated. People seem to want to draw lines. Various countries isolate themselves and do their "own thing" when it comes to things like space exploration.

Why kill dreams that people have? I feel bad for people that haven't had good opportunities and I hate seeing other people suffer or go through shitty stuff.... but it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't make other types of progress.

That said... I don't think we need the enterprise to do it Tongue
22-06-2012, 03:30 AM
(22-06-2012 02:06 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Colonizing a planet is far from only a dream. I actually think it would be far more difficult to "sort our own planet" first than it would be to spread our species to another planet. We've talked about mars for a long time. If we're to survive longterm before we end up blowing each other up, it would make more sense to get our butts on another planet in case that happens. IF we want to survive long term. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll get lucky and there won't be a major extinction event that has been repeated over the millions of years that affected all the other species on the planet.

While I think it would be great to sort out our own planet, the largest boundary is boundaries themselves between nations. People seem to want to be separated. People seem to want to draw lines. Various countries isolate themselves and do their "own thing" when it comes to things like space exploration.

Why kill dreams that people have? I feel bad for people that haven't had good opportunities and I hate seeing other people suffer or go through shitty stuff.... but it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't make other types of progress.

That said... I don't think we need the enterprise to do it Tongue
Look. The planet is gonna peek at 10billion people. 10 billion.
This planet can support 10billion people, hell it is supporting 6-7billion at the moment (I think the fact we have starving children is irrelevant in this as we have fat ass people in America so they kind of balance out, my point is being able to support) but it will required a bit of planning.
My point is, we don't need to colonize another planet, we don't all need to move to the moon.
Any way you look at it anyway we are better off on earth.
Are you people not reading my posts? Mars has no magnetic field. It is a dying planet, the core is likely slowing down.
It is pelted with violent solar radiation which is likely where all of Mars water went, got evaporated. It's even further from the sun then we are which means it is cold.
There's no ground which to grow crops, no water which to grow crops or support life.

How is colonizing Mars at all gonna help keep the human species alive!?
Mars sounds like a sure fire way to kill it off.
We are better off on earth.

So this "it's needed if man wants to survive" is complete bullshit and absolutely wrong.

As for this "no boundaries", "utopia" bullshit, who do you think is gonna even end up going to live on Mars? I can promise you it's not the poor average Eastern European or the African. It'll be scientists for research or if some colony was able to be set up for ungodly reasons it'll be rich folk.

The whole concept for the reasons you people are giving me are either plain wrong or a fantasy of utopia in which this will not achieve.

Quote: No one solution is going to fix all world problems.
I agree.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-06-2012, 03:45 AM
I definitely don't foresee any type of Utopia or no boundaries anything happening. Thus far nothing has indicated we are headed in such a direction. At least if it ever does, doubtful it would ever be in my lifetime.
22-06-2012, 06:22 AM
(22-06-2012 03:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Are you people not reading my posts?

[Image: demotivational-posters-hungry-hippos.jpg]

Why would anyone listen to you on this topic? You're being a fucking theist about it, so I'll be a theist back: I'd explain it to ya, but you wouldn't understand. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-06-2012, 06:36 AM
(22-06-2012 03:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Look. The planet is gonna peek at 10billion people. 10 billion.
This planet can support 10billion people, hell it is supporting 6-7billion at the moment (I think the fact we have starving children is irrelevant in this as we have fat ass people in America so they kind of balance out, my point is being able to support) but it will required a bit of planning.
When history looks back on the human species and its descendants, you seem happy for it to describe us as a parochial single-planet society. Some of us think bigger than that. It's not that we should go beyond our world instead of dealing with the problems of this world. We should do both. It's not that we should colonise Mars today or even necessarily this century, but let's do it. It might be a good idea to get this started before the oil runs out, so I don't see any reason not to think about it while we are still near peak oil.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
22-06-2012, 08:47 AM
"The Earth is the cradle of Mankind. But Mankind cannot stay in it's cradle forever."

-Konstantin Tsiokovsky

It's our destiny to explore the stars and the planets. For someone who wants to dream big about space travel and wants to build the Starship Enterprise, I'd say go for it. It would be well worth it for humankind. There are a lot of obstacles, technical, financial, social, etc ahead for the human race but the rewards for doing this are well worth it.

The biggest achievement of large scale, practical space travel would be that mankind becomes the only creature on planet earth with the capability to leave or to stay. We can migrate into space, if needed, to escape a catastrophe on earth for example, also we can colonize other planets and ensure that the human race will survive even if the earth does not. It's the next major step for the species and I think we're on a precipice, just waiting for the final event to tip us toward that destiny.

It's time to boldly go where no one has gone before.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
22-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm definitely for the notion of space travel. I even think the points made by this guy are pretty good - if we're gonna do it, let's make a go of it and really thump it. But I think his particular plan for doing the said thumping is woefully lacking in intersection with reality...

Give it another 50 years Wink (as the guys said in the 60s Tongue ).