Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 11:07 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
Bill Shatner is my hero. Pay no attention to earmuffs. Star Trek inspired a lot of things.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2012, 11:50 AM
My hero is... Heart

...need...rest... anyway, DJ Muffs has a perspective that is not invalid; but, to me, it is one that has been thoroughly debunkified. Problem there is that I did the debunking. When I was talking about "being a theist," I was also including my perspective in that "pro-space" has been, since memory began, part of my identity. So, I throw out some demotivationals, rather than some hate, waiting for the Gwynnies to get me all fuckered up on the love and stuff; you know, to discuss shit rationally. And stuff. Kinda...

That's Lady Jane's fault! Big Grin

Ranting about grammar, getting me all, like, OMG! WTF? Lololololol Blink

Yeah, I need to compartmentalize... here's one: Guy in a space suit, on the Red Planet, holding up a fossilized sponge. That's the kinda thing, kick a theist in the nutz. Robots doing the same, won't produce the same effect; don't matter that a bunch of atheists know that all of what is being transmitted is a buncha math no matter who is doing what, Theist dependent on "image of god." I.e. the simulation of "mind in mind," where such an image as outlined above will "creep into his skull" and force him to "walk in that spaceman's shoes." 'Cause no matter how you interpret the Bible, ain't no mention of god spewing his seed on Mars.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-06-2012, 05:52 PM
(22-06-2012 06:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 03:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Are you people not reading my posts?

[Image: demotivational-posters-hungry-hippos.jpg]

Why would anyone listen to you on this topic? You're being a fucking theist about it, so I'll be a theist back: I'd explain it to ya, but you wouldn't understand. Tongue
Firstly, that demotivational is fucking hilarious.

Second, I'm the one basing my argument off rational thought here. Basic economics, bit of science and a clump of realism thinking. You're the ones going off, "you know, this would be real neato". You're the theists.

Basic economics tells us that one trillion dollars investment is not worth what we get out, which is a bit of Mars rock.
Basic astrology and knowledge of the planets tells us Mars is the best viable option within our galaxy and even then Mars is inhabitable. The nearest galaxies, stars whatever, even traveling at light speed, are bloody far away.
You would die of old age before getting there, and that is traveling at light speed which is near impossible.
So then that leaves if you want to talk about moving man kind, living in space in this spaceship, and basic spaceall awareness will tell you you couldn't fit 10billion people in this thing let alone sustain that amount of people. Any 5 year old will tell you that the square block doesn't fit in the circle hole.

I don't know how else to explain this to you people, there it is laid out infront of you, the reality of it. Now you can be theists and stick to the notion of it being "really really cool!!!" or you can wake the fuck up to the facts at hand.

It aint gonna happen and even if it does happen I bet my life it will not happen in our life time.

in before 'you mad bro?'.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
22-06-2012, 06:00 PM
(22-06-2012 05:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Basic astrology and knowledge of the planets tells us Mars is the best viable option within our galaxy and even then Mars is inhabitable. The nearest galaxies, stars whatever, even traveling at light speed, are bloody far away.

Wording Fail Big Grin

Sorry you were saying the other side is all theistical and so on? Angel
22-06-2012, 07:14 PM
(22-06-2012 05:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Firstly, that demotivational is fucking hilarious.

Second, I'm the one basing my argument off rational thought here.

Firstly, yeah, huh? I did an image search of the quoted text, and that puppy popped up. And I lol'd, so I shared it. Thumbsup

Doesn't always hafta be entirely relevant, the demotivationals. Wink

Second, there's stuff like this: http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/benefits.html

And I don't know wtf these other Trekkies are thinking, but I've been down the trail of thought. The Van Allen belt, muscular decomposition, psychological stressors, logistics, yada...yada...muthafuckin' yada. Yet in practical terms, it's simply impractical to sit here on our hands. I mean, wtf we doing? A trillion bucks? Ain't that what it costs to make useless war in Afghanistan? We do that shit for two main reasons: we're a bunch of fucking animals with no natural predators so we become our own natural predator. And we're fucking bored. A trillion bucks, that's gonna be like the studio budget for the next Avatar.

I could go on about practical shit, but I wanna skip ahead to my own brand of whack. Wormhole of tao. Dark energy, fool; it's a "threshold of locality" problem. Big Grin

Sounds crazy (and it prolly is, considering the source), but, I'll go with crazy over bored any day. At least if I blast myself into quarks for my Gwynnies, it won't be meaningless entertainment.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-06-2012, 01:10 AM
(22-06-2012 07:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  trillion bucks, that's gonna be like the studio budget for the next Avatar.
Oh, look! Shit just got real!

http://m.io9.com/5904599/its-official-ja...oid+mining
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
23-06-2012, 02:08 AM
(23-06-2012 01:10 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 07:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  trillion bucks, that's gonna be like the studio budget for the next Avatar.
Oh, look! Shit just got real!

http://m.io9.com/5904599/its-official-ja...oid+mining
Yea and see, these people know what I'm talking about:

Quote: Infrastructure has to be established, and industries that can utilize
that infrastructure need to emerge and grow; after all, you can sell
water in space at a fraction of today's cost, but if there's nobody
there to buy it, your business will fail.
And this is exactly what I am talking about, making it profitable which none of you are arguing:

Quote: That is unless the company can identify points along its development
process that allow it to remain profitable. NASA will be planning its
own missions to near-Earth asteroids in the coming decade; establishing
"data purchase deals" with outside organizations like NASA could be one
of the keys to ensuring that Planetary Resources is a profitable
enterprise right from the start.
Even NASA is backing what I'm saying in this thread that it needs to be profitable.

Shove that up you'll asses and smoke it.

Plus this astroid thing is different to what we are talking about here anyway, we're talking about colonizing Mars and school boy fantasy of building some star trek ship thing.
And people were arguing that we need to colonize Mars in order to keep humanity species alive.
This asteroid thing looks like it will be done remotely, not to mention we wont be colonizing an asteroid any time soon.
AND they haven't even official announced it yet let alone planned it let alone actually tested asteroids to see which one to mine let alone started mining let alone set all the shit back here. This is till a long long way off.

Quote: Wording Fail
opps, my bad. You know what I meant, astronomy.

Quote: I mean, wtf we doing?
How about going from this:

[Image: cave_07.jpg]
to this:

[Image: cityscape-pink-big.jpg]

[sarcasm]You're right HoC, all this lazy species does is sit on it's hands all day.[/sarcasm]

Quote: Ain't that what it costs to make useless war in Afghanistan?
Most likely. And so what you are then saying is we should spend another (because you can't get that trillion from Afghanistan back) trillion dollars putting a couple men on mars for a little while to do something a robot could do for a fraction of the price, or watse that trillion dollars to send this ship thing out into space never to be seen again (because the time it found something, if everyone didn't die of old age going from one galaxy to another, and came back to tell us about it the sun would has expanded into a red giant and had us for lunch).

Quote: A trillion bucks, that's gonna be like the studio budget for the next Avatar.
I hope so, he's filming it here in New Zealand, our economy is pretty unaffected by the recession but a trillion bucks boost to the economy is always welcome IMO.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
26-06-2012, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2012 10:33 PM by DeepThought.)
I'm all for getting humans into space but doubt large ships like that would be practical for travelling at 80% c.

At those speeds hitting a pebble would cripple the whole ship. It would splinter into thousands of fragments and spread outward like a shotgun blast ripping large sections of the ship to shreds. It doesn't matter how much metal you have in the hull at 80% c.

Too much shielding and the ship is too heavy to reach those speeds.

I think self-replicating nanotech would be needed combined with fusion tech so the abundant hydrogen can be used. Then maybe interstellar trips could be considered.

The nanotech probes could be sent out ahead of ships to clear the way of debris while stripping it for resources and fuel.

The ship would be able to break up into pieces whenever and also via nanotechnology be self-repairing and truly modular. Humans would not have the need for meat bodies anymore enabling massive savings on life support and other infrastructure...

Humans could be stored in a tiny block of silicon (or whatever is used at that time) that is resistant to radiation damage and run internally on a simulation environment. The simulation could even run slower than realtime.

100 years can pass while in the simulation it's only been 1 week.. Could even run human instances at faster than realtime if required.

Once you reach the target star system the ship can build you a meat body to go exploring in. The meatbody could be given generous genetic upgrades for cancer and radiation resistance as well as improved survivability in a vacuum.

Thats the only way I see interstellar travel being practical.

In the mean time we should focus on interplanetary travel and building sustainable colonies within the solar system.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
27-06-2012, 12:19 AM
(26-06-2012 10:28 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  In the mean time we should focus on interplanetary travel and building sustainable colonies within the solar system.
Yes, and we should do this with Enterprise.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
27-06-2012, 02:30 AM
(27-06-2012 12:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(26-06-2012 10:28 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  In the mean time we should focus on interplanetary travel and building sustainable colonies within the solar system.
Yes, and we should do this with Enterprise.

Big Grin
No we shouldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb 'Building sentient beings, rather than breeding sentient beings.' Why? PoolBoyG 27 655 09-02-2014 11:55 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  Building the Death Star The_Thinking_Theist 25 893 06-11-2013 07:00 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  TALOS - Building a real life 'Iron Man' suit Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 8 723 06-11-2013 11:35 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  World's first algae-powered building Vosur 5 322 14-04-2013 08:28 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  I'm building a Tesla Coil Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 13 1,103 27-01-2013 10:36 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Astronaut Building Lego Spacestation in ISS Spacestation ClydeLee 13 994 10-03-2012 04:01 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee