Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 12:27 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
The fuck...? Big Grin

OK, OK, I'm out, bitch, whatevah! I'm gonna get you for this, mark my words.

P.S.

I'm talking to earmuffs...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
29-06-2012, 12:36 AM
(29-06-2012 12:27 AM)Filox Wrote:  The fuck...? Big Grin

OK, OK, I'm out, bitch, whatevah! I'm gonna get you for this, mark my words.

P.S.

I'm talking to earmuffs...

Big Grin
And on this stardate, plans were first set in motion that would lead to the eventual galactic rule of Khan Noonien Singh. [Image: Khan1.jpg]

Why? I am sure you must be wondering now. And if not, well you should be wondering unless you don't really care. On this date the boyhood dreams of a genius from Croatia were dashed from building the USS Enterprise 1701 Prototype. Because of his disappointing defeat to the Kiwi who has spread his lies about space exploration, Filox would never go on to father future generations of his family who would carry the dream of Grandpappa Filox to build the real USS Enterprise 1701 in the future where eventually James Tiberius Kirk from Riverside, Iowa would kick the super-powered ass of Ricardo Montalban, not once but twice bitches! Since that will now never happen, thanks to fuckin' 'Muffs, the galaxy will be ruled by Khan Noonien Singh.

You all know who to blame. Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
29-06-2012, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 01:26 AM by earmuffs.)
[Image: victory.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
29-06-2012, 01:26 AM
The generations are going to weep for this...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
16-08-2012, 02:32 AM
(19-06-2012 10:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It is a waste of a trillion dollars.

There's no need for man to colonize another world or even our moon.
The only reason to send anything into out of space (beyond satellites I'm talking here, satellites are a different topic) is for research. And all research can be done much cheaper by robots (such as the ones of mars as we speak) and/or things like the Hubble. As well as robots can have a long look around too.
Not to mention it's a billion time safer considering if the robot blows up you're not losing lives.

Plus what are you going on about with "plants" as in multiple. Gas giants are a) gas and b) a shit long ways out. Venus is extremely extremely extremely uninhabitable. Mars is the only real option and even then Mars lacks a magnetic field (well it has one but it is extremely weak and patchy) so solar rays likely pelt the planets surface which of course makes it inhabitable to humans.
The same goes for inhabiting the moon.

Humans are fragile as fuck.

Space colonization of another planet is just a school boy fantasy. It makes no sense to do it.

The reason for colonizing other worlds and eventually other solar systems, is to make sure that no single event can cause our extinction.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
16-08-2012, 08:40 PM
(16-08-2012 02:32 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It is a waste of a trillion dollars.

There's no need for man to colonize another world or even our moon.
The only reason to send anything into out of space (beyond satellites I'm talking here, satellites are a different topic) is for research. And all research can be done much cheaper by robots (such as the ones of mars as we speak) and/or things like the Hubble. As well as robots can have a long look around too.
Not to mention it's a billion time safer considering if the robot blows up you're not losing lives.

Plus what are you going on about with "plants" as in multiple. Gas giants are a) gas and b) a shit long ways out. Venus is extremely extremely extremely uninhabitable. Mars is the only real option and even then Mars lacks a magnetic field (well it has one but it is extremely weak and patchy) so solar rays likely pelt the planets surface which of course makes it inhabitable to humans.
The same goes for inhabiting the moon.

Humans are fragile as fuck.

Space colonization of another planet is just a school boy fantasy. It makes no sense to do it.

The reason for colonizing other worlds and eventually other solar systems, is to make sure that no single event can cause our extinction.

The only planet we could reasonably colonize in our solar system is Mars. And even then it has very very little magnetic field, it's pelted with radioactivity from the sun. There's no proof of water. And the atmosphere is made of 95% CO2, which is poisons.
So we would need to constantly convert CO2 into O2. If that machine was to break say goodbye to the entire human race. Oh did I mention we would HAVE to live inside. Inside a radiation proof house too I might add.
So that's not the problem, we could do that today. But there still remains the issue of water. We can't live without water. Then if we can somehow create water from CO2 and O2 there still remains the problem of food.
So you'd have to start small and you'd have to have huge structures. We're talking massive greenhouse's to grow food, perhaps inside places for cattle. Then just all the essentials, living, dinning etc.. But it's more then that because you gotta remember that these people will be living here so you also need entertainment needs, perhaps some form of government. People need jobs or job equivalents.
Basically, if you can colonize Mars you could only do a few people to start with, no way in hell the entire world population. And those people would need to be rocket scientist (literally).

But then that leaves whatever events would kill us on Earth would surely kill us on Mars too. ie: Massive clump of rock from space. At least Earth has the moon or/and a strong atmosphere to break this shit up.
What else, strong flare from the sun. Well..
The biggy, the sun expanding into a red giant. Well that's a killer Mars or Earth.

The only other livable planet in our solar system I would guess would be Mercury.
Mercury might be close to the sun but it spins in a way that some parts would be livable. In fact some parts would be quite a comfortable temperature.
The problem? Well look at it, it looks like our moon. It has no atmosphere and it's inches from the sun. Talk about radiation. Plus no oxygen let alone water.

So, what else? Titan I hear you ask? The second largest moon in our solar system, said to be the 'planet moon' and is known to have water.
Well.. It has an extremely dense atmosphere, next to no sun light gets through. It's bloody cold, near absolute zero. In fact the only reason why it's probably not absolute zero is greenhouse effect keeping a bit of warmth in. The atmosphere spins faster then the planet, so expect a light breeze. And apparently it could be volcanically active.

"So, other solar systems" I hear you say. Okay sure, let's take a look at that possibility.
Proxima Centauri (Alpha Centauri solar system) is our closest star (after the sun of course) at a mere 4.75light years. That's just under 4,750,000,000,000 (4.75trillion) km's.
Assuming an average speed of around 25,000km's that means we would take 190,000,000 hours to get there. Or, 7835051.5 days or 21,465years.
21.5K years, taking an average of 90years for a life (taking into account advancements and that space shortens life) that is 239 generations. At least. And that's having a baby at 90years old.

Just a side note, in around 30,000years Proxima Centauri wont be our closest star, which means we're traveling apart from each other which means it'll take even longer then my calculations.

So assuming we can then eventually get to Proxima Centauri, then we have to hope that there is an Earth like planet that has all the things that we fragile humans need.

It's also worth noting that Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf, meaning it's pretty much dead. It's small and it's cold (for a star).

So keep going you say?
Well to put this into perspective the next stars are: 5.9 light years (also a red dwarf), 7.7 light years (red dwarf), 8.2 light years (red dwarf), 8.5 light years, 8.7, 9.6 etc...

So you see, it's not a simple matter of "oh let's hope on over to our neighboring solar system". Even at 250,000kms/ph it'd take over 2,000years. And then yous till have to find an Earth like planet.
So that is not an option, that only leaves Mars. And Mars is far far more dangerous then Earth. And when the sun expands we'd be fucked either way, Earth or Mars.

It's implausible and a waste of effort and money. As I said all throughout the thread. Can we now let this thread sink, have I made my point clear enough?

16-08-2012, 10:31 PM
No, we can't let this thread sink. How many trillions of dollars did the U.S. sink on the greedy bankers in the past 6 years alone? If we dumped that kind of money on scientists and said "Get us out there.", I am sure we would have a huge civilization on Titan, Mars, and who knows where else. As far as funding for getting colonists, that part is fairly easy. Maybe all but a few of the scientists would choose to stay on Earth, because let's face it. They have it made. Money, property, modern convenience. What if you go purchase a large territory in Africa. The goal being to set up a bio-dome and keep undesirables out, including but not limited to andyone with HIV/Aids, the devoutly religious that are doing so much damage there, and anything else that we would not want sent to another planet. You round them up and provide protection, with the agreement that in 5 years, they will be heading to Mars, Titan, the moon, or all of the above. You would have too many volunteers. I am sure you would see people who only qualify for minimum wage here, those in other countries that live in poverty, and those that just want to get away from the supersticious shit that we all have to put up with. I am sure most would go for free. The point is, it doesn't have to cost as much as you think. We don't want those who already have it made to go, we want the ones that are weak and powerless to go, because at least temporarily the government they would come up with would be better than what we have. Remember the old days of the U.S.? When we were actually turning away from religion running government. Sure there were things they got wrong, such as slavery and a couple other things.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
16-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Let John Lear tell it, the solar system is already colonized. And the moon is hollow. And it has a seven kilometer high soul catcher on it. So when you die, your soul gets sucked up to the moon to be recycled back into some soulless newborn. Big Grin

Which is better than letting earmuffs tell it, cause he's just a little happy pawn of the corpocracy. All he can think about is getting his little slice of the pie, and if people start taking the long view, he won't be able to lord it over the pawns in his little corner of the universe. Why I got no problem letting this thread die, letting him post smarmy jpegs proclaiming victory, because it is so much easier to hate the person than the philosophy, but hating people don't make my Gwynnies smile. Angry

Dang Gwynnies. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-08-2012, 11:20 PM
What the hell? Filox forfeited the rap-off? SO NOT COOL! BAD FILOX!

You need to pull up your pants and show muffs like Eminem in 8mile did. Come on!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
17-08-2012, 05:02 AM
(16-08-2012 10:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let John Lear tell it, the solar system is already colonized. And the moon is hollow. And it has a seven kilometer high soul catcher on it. So when you die, your soul gets sucked up to the moon to be recycled back into some soulless newborn. Big Grin

Which is better than letting earmuffs tell it, cause he's just a little happy pawn of the corpocracy. All he can think about is getting his little slice of the pie, and if people start taking the long view, he won't be able to lord it over the pawns in his little corner of the universe. Why I got no problem letting this thread die, letting him post smarmy jpegs proclaiming victory, because it is so much easier to hate the person than the philosophy, but hating people don't make my Gwynnies smile. Angry

Dang Gwynnies. Heart

Excuse me John. I am not after my own 'little slice of the pie'. I wont the whole fucking thing.

Quote:What the hell? Filox forfeited the rap-off? SO NOT COOL! BAD FILOX!

You need to pull up your pants and show muffs like Eminem in 8mile did. Come on!

Come now LJ, we both know who's the best rapper on this forum. Drinking Beverage

Quote:No, we can't let this thread sink. How many trillions of dollars did the U.S. sink on the greedy bankers in the past 6 years alone? If we dumped that kind of money on scientists and said "Get us out there.", I am sure we would have a huge civilization on Titan, Mars, and who knows where else. As far as funding for getting colonists, that part is fairly easy. Maybe all but a few of the scientists would choose to stay on Earth, because let's face it. They have it made. Money, property, modern convenience. What if you go purchase a large territory in Africa. The goal being to set up a bio-dome and keep undesirables out, including but not limited to andyone with HIV/Aids, the devoutly religious that are doing so much damage there, and anything else that we would not want sent to another planet. You round them up and provide protection, with the agreement that in 5 years, they will be heading to Mars, Titan, the moon, or all of the above. You would have too many volunteers. I am sure you would see people who only qualify for minimum wage here, those in other countries that live in poverty, and those that just want to get away from the supersticious shit that we all have to put up with. I am sure most would go for free. The point is, it doesn't have to cost as much as you think. We don't want those who already have it made to go, we want the ones that are weak and powerless to go, because at least temporarily the government they would come up with would be better than what we have. Remember the old days of the U.S.? When we were actually turning away from religion running government. Sure there were things they got wrong, such as slavery and a couple other things.

Look, you've obviously missed the point.
I agree, finding people to go and live on Mars is not the hard part. I never said it was. I said it was a waste of money and all those other complications such as actually living on Mars.
And you can't live on Titan it's inhabitable. If the strong winds and crap atmosphere don't get you the volcanoes and extreme cold will.
What do we gain out of living on Mars, as in a full colony?? Nothing. I can maybe see an argument for a base sorta like a 'moon base' that'd be used for research with a few scientists that maybe fly between. But a full on colonization is impractical (it is by far no means a simple matter of flying up and pitching a tent) and stupid.
The only reason potentially is if Earth was dying somehow, but like I've said, Mars is in no way a safe planet. All life on earth could die and all water evaporate and we'd still be better off on Earth then on Mars.
Open your eyes, it's impracticable and pointless the only reason you like the idea is because you have some idea of an atheist utopia.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post