Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 05:19 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
(17-08-2012 05:02 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 10:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let John Lear tell it, the solar system is already colonized. And the moon is hollow. And it has a seven kilometer high soul catcher on it. So when you die, your soul gets sucked up to the moon to be recycled back into some soulless newborn. Big Grin

Which is better than letting earmuffs tell it, cause he's just a little happy pawn of the corpocracy. All he can think about is getting his little slice of the pie, and if people start taking the long view, he won't be able to lord it over the pawns in his little corner of the universe. Why I got no problem letting this thread die, letting him post smarmy jpegs proclaiming victory, because it is so much easier to hate the person than the philosophy, but hating people don't make my Gwynnies smile. Angry

Dang Gwynnies. Heart

Excuse me John. I am not after my own 'little slice of the pie'. I wont the whole fucking thing.

Quote:What the hell? Filox forfeited the rap-off? SO NOT COOL! BAD FILOX!

You need to pull up your pants and show muffs like Eminem in 8mile did. Come on!

Come now LJ, we both know who's the best rapper on this forum. Drinking Beverage

Quote:No, we can't let this thread sink. How many trillions of dollars did the U.S. sink on the greedy bankers in the past 6 years alone? If we dumped that kind of money on scientists and said "Get us out there.", I am sure we would have a huge civilization on Titan, Mars, and who knows where else. As far as funding for getting colonists, that part is fairly easy. Maybe all but a few of the scientists would choose to stay on Earth, because let's face it. They have it made. Money, property, modern convenience. What if you go purchase a large territory in Africa. The goal being to set up a bio-dome and keep undesirables out, including but not limited to andyone with HIV/Aids, the devoutly religious that are doing so much damage there, and anything else that we would not want sent to another planet. You round them up and provide protection, with the agreement that in 5 years, they will be heading to Mars, Titan, the moon, or all of the above. You would have too many volunteers. I am sure you would see people who only qualify for minimum wage here, those in other countries that live in poverty, and those that just want to get away from the supersticious shit that we all have to put up with. I am sure most would go for free. The point is, it doesn't have to cost as much as you think. We don't want those who already have it made to go, we want the ones that are weak and powerless to go, because at least temporarily the government they would come up with would be better than what we have. Remember the old days of the U.S.? When we were actually turning away from religion running government. Sure there were things they got wrong, such as slavery and a couple other things.

Look, you've obviously missed the point.
I agree, finding people to go and live on Mars is not the hard part. I never said it was. I said it was a waste of money and all those other complications such as actually living on Mars.
And you can't live on Titan it's inhabitable. If the strong winds and crap atmosphere don't get you the volcanoes and extreme cold will.
What do we gain out of living on Mars, as in a full colony?? Nothing. I can maybe see an argument for a base sorta like a 'moon base' that'd be used for research with a few scientists that maybe fly between. But a full on colonization is impractical (it is by far no means a simple matter of flying up and pitching a tent) and stupid.
The only reason potentially is if Earth was dying somehow, but like I've said, Mars is in no way a safe planet. All life on earth could die and all water evaporate and we'd still be better off on Earth then on Mars.
Open your eyes, it's impracticable and pointless the only reason you like the idea is because you have some idea of an atheist utopia.

I love the idea of an atheist utopia, however that is not what I am after. Earth is dangerously over-populated as it is now. We are at the point of putting restrictions on breeding or spreading out. I have not managed to have one kid yet. I'll be pissed to know end if I am told that my wife and I can't even have 1, when there are religious nuts out there that have pumped out 20. It is actually possible to build greenhouses and structures on mars. The biggest issues would be getting equipment up there that can drill through rock. Once you have a greenhouse and link it with tunnels (underground habitat), you convert the co2 to oxygen over the period of years. I would much rather put a trillion dollars into colonization than bail out another stinking bank so they can give their ceo another billion dollar bonus.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 05:26 AM
(17-08-2012 05:19 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 05:02 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Excuse me John. I am not after my own 'little slice of the pie'. I wont the whole fucking thing.

Come now LJ, we both know who's the best rapper on this forum. Drinking Beverage

Look, you've obviously missed the point.
I agree, finding people to go and live on Mars is not the hard part. I never said it was. I said it was a waste of money and all those other complications such as actually living on Mars.
And you can't live on Titan it's inhabitable. If the strong winds and crap atmosphere don't get you the volcanoes and extreme cold will.
What do we gain out of living on Mars, as in a full colony?? Nothing. I can maybe see an argument for a base sorta like a 'moon base' that'd be used for research with a few scientists that maybe fly between. But a full on colonization is impractical (it is by far no means a simple matter of flying up and pitching a tent) and stupid.
The only reason potentially is if Earth was dying somehow, but like I've said, Mars is in no way a safe planet. All life on earth could die and all water evaporate and we'd still be better off on Earth then on Mars.
Open your eyes, it's impracticable and pointless the only reason you like the idea is because you have some idea of an atheist utopia.

I love the idea of an atheist utopia, however that is not what I am after. Earth is dangerously over-populated as it is now. We are at the point of putting restrictions on breeding or spreading out. I have not managed to have one kid yet. I'll be pissed to know end if I am told that my wife and I can't even have 1, when there are religious nuts out there that have pumped out 20. It is actually possible to build greenhouses and structures on mars. The biggest issues would be getting equipment up there that can drill through rock. Once you have a greenhouse and link it with tunnels (underground habitat), you convert the co2 to oxygen over the period of years. I would much rather put a trillion dollars into colonization than bail out another stinking bank so they can give their ceo another billion dollar bonus.

Oh I see, the old 'over populated' argument.
Hang on, I got a TED talk for this. http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/hans_ro...abies.html

And again, I'm not saying these things, greenhouses, buildings etc.. are not impossible. I am saying it's impractical and not worth while.
Plus you're still missing the key ingredient, water.
You can't populate Mars with enough people to significantly change Earths population. Like what are we now? 6billion or so? Yea, there is no way you can populate Mars with a billion or two people. Perhaps at most, if you can get water, a thousand or two. And I would think that that is pushing it.

You're thinking just like every other person in this thread. It's nothing more then a school boy fantasy.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-08-2012, 05:39 AM
(17-08-2012 05:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 05:19 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I love the idea of an atheist utopia, however that is not what I am after. Earth is dangerously over-populated as it is now. We are at the point of putting restrictions on breeding or spreading out. I have not managed to have one kid yet. I'll be pissed to know end if I am told that my wife and I can't even have 1, when there are religious nuts out there that have pumped out 20. It is actually possible to build greenhouses and structures on mars. The biggest issues would be getting equipment up there that can drill through rock. Once you have a greenhouse and link it with tunnels (underground habitat), you convert the co2 to oxygen over the period of years. I would much rather put a trillion dollars into colonization than bail out another stinking bank so they can give their ceo another billion dollar bonus.

Oh I see, the old 'over populated' argument.
Hang on, I got a TED talk for this. http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/hans_ro...abies.html

And again, I'm not saying these things, greenhouses, buildings etc.. are not impossible. I am saying it's impractical and not worth while.
You can't populate Mars with enough people to significantly change Earths population. Like what are we now? 6billion or so? Yea, there is no way you can populate Mars with a billion or two people. Perhaps at most, if you can get water, a thousand or two. And I would think that that is pushing it.

You're thinking just like every other person in this thread. It's nothing more then a school boy fantasy.

So, what exactly do you suggest we do? Wait until the earth is dying and then make a half assed attempt to get a dozen or so people up there?
17-08-2012, 06:05 AM
(17-08-2012 05:39 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 05:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh I see, the old 'over populated' argument.

So, what exactly do you suggest we do? Wait until the earth is dying and then make a half assed attempt to get a dozen or so people up there?

Do about what? You have to be more specific.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
18-08-2012, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 02:54 PM by Diablo.)
(17-08-2012 05:39 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 05:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh I see, the old 'over populated' argument.

You already suggested the only logical answer. Population controls.

Earmuffs is right. This whole topic is sci-fi fantasy BS!
Man spaced missions are simply not practical at our current level of technology, and colonizing Mars and/or the Moon likely never will be.

"Warp drives are only a few decades away..."
ROFL! Yah right... I am not holding my breath on that one.
18-08-2012, 02:58 PM
(19-06-2012 08:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:19 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

[Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

Sort your own planet out first.

As for the idea in the video of "advance" and flight etc.. Flight actually has changed this world, flight allows faster travel, goods to be traveled etc.. all the benefits of flight.
Space travel offers none of that. It is extremely expensive and the only legit purpose is for scientific research which like I said can be done by robots. Not to mention what does gathering Mars space rock even provide to us here on earth? Yes it is interesting, I am very keen on all things space it is a great passion of mine, BUT it doesn't add anything other then knowledge. And that knowledge is not worth the money that is spent to obtain it.

I'm glad man walked on the moon I really am. That served as a military purpose more then anything, 'we're better then the soviets' (Even though the soviets were first to put a satellite in space and quite frankly that is the more important of the two accomplishments). But there is absolutely no justification to it now.

Please, justify to me why we should spend trillions of dollars colonizing Mars.

Better yet, stop this ridiculous business with borders and religion. They only divide us and restrain us from our true scientific potential.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
21-08-2012, 12:17 PM
(19-06-2012 08:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:19 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

[Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

As for the idea in the video of "advance" and flight etc.. Flight actually has changed this world, flight allows faster travel, goods to be traveled etc.. all the benefits of flight.
Space travel offers none of that. It is extremely expensive and the only legit purpose is for scientific research which like I said can be done by robots. Not to mention what does gathering Mars space rock even provide to us here on earth? Yes it is interesting, I am very keen on all things space it is a great passion of mine, BUT it doesn't add anything other then knowledge. And that knowledge is not worth the money that is spent to obtain it.

I'm glad man walked on the moon I really am. That served as a military purpose more then anything, 'we're better then the soviets' (Even though the soviets were first to put a satellite in space and quite frankly that is the more important of the two accomplishments). But there is absolutely no justification to it now.

So why don't you drop your iPod, your laptop, and every modern convenience so you can get started on that? You wield such blatant hypocrisy with that comment, it is almost laughable.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
21-08-2012, 12:24 PM
(21-08-2012 12:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 08:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

So why don't you drop your iPod, your laptop, and every modern convenience so you can get started on that? You wield such blatant hypocrisy with that comment, it is almost laughable.

Someone who advocates not spending money on some moonshine project, but targeting something maybe achievable is the one having to defend himself?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-08-2012, 07:52 AM
(21-08-2012 12:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2012 12:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  So why don't you drop your iPod, your laptop, and every modern convenience so you can get started on that? You wield such blatant hypocrisy with that comment, it is almost laughable.

Someone who advocates not spending money on some moonshine project, but targeting something maybe achievable is the one having to defend himself?

I am sorry, but why are you still posting? You could be helping those children at this moment.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-08-2012, 07:57 AM
(22-08-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(21-08-2012 12:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  Someone who advocates not spending money on some moonshine project, but targeting something maybe achievable is the one having to defend himself?

I am sorry, but why are you still posting? You could be helping those children at this moment.

So any philanthropist who doesn't give all his money away is a hypocrite ? Anyone who has an idea that governments should spend more money on poor people, unless he himself is actively spending his last cent on poor people, it's OK not to listen to him 'cos he's a damn hypocrite. Oh yes, very logical.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post