Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Building the starship USS Enterprise
http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

I admit it's intriguing. Spend a trillion dollars to build the USS Enterprise over a period of 20 years. No, it can't yet do all the things the fictional star ship could; sadly warp drives are still a few decades to a few centuries off on the horizon of science. But I agree we should aggressively pursue manned spaceflight to the planets within our own solar system and begin the colonization of space (See my thread Where's My Apartment on a Space Colony? ).

The technology spoken of on the site is all real but this guy is pretty optimistic about how smoothy all this can be designed and integrated into a vehicle no one's ever tried before. Kinda resembles what would happen if Jacques Fresco was a Trekkie.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-06-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
No. Just no.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
19-06-2012, 09:15 AM
So cool. I once built a model of Enterprise-D. It had running lights and the sounds of phasers and photon torpedoes. It was cool, but this is epic!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-06-2012, 10:11 AM
It is a waste of a trillion dollars.

There's no need for man to colonize another world or even our moon.
The only reason to send anything into out of space (beyond satellites I'm talking here, satellites are a different topic) is for research. And all research can be done much cheaper by robots (such as the ones of mars as we speak) and/or things like the Hubble. As well as robots can have a long look around too.
Not to mention it's a billion time safer considering if the robot blows up you're not losing lives.

Plus what are you going on about with "plants" as in multiple. Gas giants are a) gas and b) a shit long ways out. Venus is extremely extremely extremely uninhabitable. Mars is the only real option and even then Mars lacks a magnetic field (well it has one but it is extremely weak and patchy) so solar rays likely pelt the planets surface which of course makes it inhabitable to humans.
The same goes for inhabiting the moon.

Humans are fragile as fuck.

Space colonization of another planet is just a school boy fantasy. It makes no sense to do it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
19-06-2012, 10:19 AM
(19-06-2012 10:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It is a waste of a trillion dollars.

The only reason to send anything into out of space (beyond satellites I'm talking here, satellites are a different topic) is for research. And all research can be done much cheaper by robots (such as the ones of mars as we speak) and/or things like the Hubble. As well as robots can have a long look around too.
Not to mention it's a billion time safer considering if the robot blows up you're not losing lives.

Plus what are you going on about with "plants" as in multiple. Gas giants are a) gas and b) a shit long ways out. Venus is extremely extremely extremely uninhabitable. Mars is the only real option and even then Mars lacks a magnetic field (well it has one but it is extremely weak and patchy) so solar rays likely pelt the planets surface which of course makes it inhabitable to humans.

Space colonization of another planet is just a school boy fantasy. It makes no sense to do it.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Earmuffs is a theist. All there is to it. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-06-2012, 08:39 PM
(19-06-2012 10:19 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It is a waste of a trillion dollars.

[Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

Sort your own planet out first.

As for the idea in the video of "advance" and flight etc.. Flight actually has changed this world, flight allows faster travel, goods to be traveled etc.. all the benefits of flight.
Space travel offers none of that. It is extremely expensive and the only legit purpose is for scientific research which like I said can be done by robots. Not to mention what does gathering Mars space rock even provide to us here on earth? Yes it is interesting, I am very keen on all things space it is a great passion of mine, BUT it doesn't add anything other then knowledge. And that knowledge is not worth the money that is spent to obtain it.

I'm glad man walked on the moon I really am. That served as a military purpose more then anything, 'we're better then the soviets' (Even though the soviets were first to put a satellite in space and quite frankly that is the more important of the two accomplishments). But there is absolutely no justification to it now.

Please, justify to me why we should spend trillions of dollars colonizing Mars.

19-06-2012, 09:36 PM
(19-06-2012 08:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-06-2012 10:19 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

[Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

Sort your own planet out first.

As for the idea in the video of "advance" and flight etc.. Flight actually has changed this world, flight allows faster travel, goods to be traveled etc.. all the benefits of flight.
Space travel offers none of that. It is extremely expensive and the only legit purpose is for scientific research which like I said can be done by robots. Not to mention what does gathering Mars space rock even provide to us here on earth? Yes it is interesting, I am very keen on all things space it is a great passion of mine, BUT it doesn't add anything other then knowledge. And that knowledge is not worth the money that is spent to obtain it.

I'm glad man walked on the moon I really am. That served as a military purpose more then anything, 'we're better then the soviets' (Even though the soviets were first to put a satellite in space and quite frankly that is the more important of the two accomplishments). But there is absolutely no justification to it now.

Please, justify to me why we should spend trillions of dollars colonizing Mars.

Easy. Science will advance astronomically (see what I did there?) and it's inevitable if our species is to continue evolving. There must be a way to leave this world and live somewhere else when the end to the planet as we know it comes. Migration has been a part of our evolution since at least Africa so you might say space exploration is inevitable.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
20-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Evolving. Learning. Improving. Breaking the limits. Exploring...

To boldly go where no man has gone before!

This is pretty important for the evolution of our species, technologically as well as psychologically.

We need to test new things, we have already reached the capacity with our current technology, now we need
something radical, we need the next step. That means we need to gather tons of money and start pushing things to a whole new levels.

Now we come to the ethical things, like starving children in Africa. The world clearly cares shit about that, since nobody is helping the way they all could and should. This means that no one is going to take away any money from poor countries, because poor countries do not get that money anyhow. But if we all united under one new and incredible thing like USS Enterprise, maybe, just maybe people will understand the message of the Federation and start helping people on this planet.

If you want to go all anal about starving kids, then why do you drive a car and spend money on fuel, when you can send it to Africa? Why do we have computers and LCD TV's, when we could donate that? Get the point? Your new LCD is not vital for you, you could easily watch TV on your old CRT TV and give the money to Africa. Or, why would you need to watch TV at all, that is not vital, so why even have a TV? Or a car. Or a dish washer? Millions are spend on modern, western type of living, they are not being redirected to poor countries.

Every cent spent on a project as huge and groundbreaking as this one is a cent spent on advancing the whole species, not just some countries. Would Africa benefit from it? Maybe not today, but in a hundred years, who knows. Will me and you benefit from it? Probably not, but it would be cool to see it all happen.

Gene Roddenberry is the biggest visionary this planet ever had. He made some sci-fi show and every day we are getting closer to that show in reality, it's just incredible. The first new colony humans build anywhere MUST be named "Gene Roddenberry".

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
20-06-2012, 02:13 AM
(19-06-2012 08:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sort your own planet out first.

Edit: alien theist. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb 'Building sentient beings, rather than breeding sentient beings.' Why? PoolBoyG 27 654 09-02-2014 11:55 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  Building the Death Star The_Thinking_Theist 25 890 06-11-2013 07:00 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  TALOS - Building a real life 'Iron Man' suit Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 8 716 06-11-2013 11:35 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  World's first algae-powered building Vosur 5 319 14-04-2013 08:28 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  I'm building a Tesla Coil Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 13 1,094 27-01-2013 10:36 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Astronaut Building Lego Spacestation in ISS Spacestation ClydeLee 13 993 10-03-2012 04:01 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee