Building the starship USS Enterprise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2012, 05:23 AM
RE: Building the starship USS Enterprise
Quote: Fuck the Star Destroyer, USS Enterprise is better, and this way people
can start pushing the political and economical model of the Federation,
something like a Venus Project.
By what do you mean, federation? As in the world being one big "country"? Because that is pointless, countries are so different it will make no difference. Much like different states are so different, Texas is very very different to Hawaii.
It wont be "one united country". Replace current word "country" with "state" for what we have today and that is what we would have.

Quote: You all do realize that your government is spending tons of money on space project today, right?
Well actually... Lets just say I promise you that not a single cent of New Zealand tax payer money goes into space stuff. Oh, apart from the few observatories around, but even then they might be private owned or funded by universities.

Quote: They just need to redirect that money into a new project
So now not only is this project wasting time and money but it is actually slowly progress, or completely halting it, in other areas. Lovely.

Quote: they have already abandoned Space Shuttle project, why not take this as the next step?
Yes because that makes sense. Hmm, I don't feel like owning a restaurant anymore I want to get out of the food business. Oh I know! I'll open a chain of fucking restaurants!.
The space shuttle was shut down because it was to expensive (and outdated IMO) and the government couldn't keep justifying spending that kind of money on something like that when the country was in the financial crapper.
So you're saying make that reason why they shut it down in the first place a trillion times worst by doing this?!?
[sarcasm]Yes because that makes perfect rational sense.[/sarcasm]

Quote: My idea is that something this big can not and should not be one
country's project, this should be a joint project (joint project, get
it, Smile
), similar to the International Space Station. That way you do not
strain the budget of only one country and you can build things faster.
USA, China, Russia and Japan should be the first 4 countries involved in
this and if those countries were to start working on this together,
then those countries would start to unite on more levels than they are
today.
And just like the international space shuttle it will mean nothing.
Just because a few of your engineers are working together on something doesn't instantly mean you get instant free trade agreements with that country or whatever. It means nothing. Political history and numeric factors suddenly do not disappear.
US: "Yo China, can you stop building container ships at a loss with intention of flooding the shipping industry to reduce prices plz?"
China: "nah"
US: "But we're working on the enterprise together, tots' thought we were like BFF now?"
China: "you thought wrong bitch"

Quote: You see, I can do this all day, until you admit that my logic is superior and you bow down to my superiority!
You obviously have not read the Jubaliee thread in the world section. So can I.
Except I make perfect sense and you're putting out the same excuses about uniting countries even though history proves that is dead wrong.

Still waiting on that good reason why we should do this...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll tell you one thing, Earmuffs, unmanned probes and rovers are great for mundane data collection and crunching, but NOTHING beats the human element. It's one thing to have a rover 1,200,000,000 miles away collecting rocks and doing a spectral analysis on them which is then radioed back to earth for analysis by a guy working the graveyard shift at JPL. It's another thing entirely to put an actual human on that spot on Mars or other planet actually able to handle with their own hands and examine with their own eyes. It'll open a whole new world of information that rovers and probes sadly miss out on.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Ah well, guess major new space progress is wrong for some people. And I don't know why I thought you were American. My deepest apologies.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-06-2012, 12:58 PM
About the OP... whatever. It's pretty silly, but so is "a trillion dollars." Can't help but think about Dr. Evil, with the pinky in the corner of his mouth... a trillion dollars... Big Grin

As to earmuffs on this subject...

[Image: 721299876.jpg]

Been on a coupla different boards, with the charts and the figures and the pages of rant about how not colonizing the moon shows a distinct lack of intelligence, but fuck it. When I build a "wormhole of tao" and go to a planet full of Gwynnies and candy, I'm gonna post a sign on the doorway - no Kiwis allowed. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Dodgy I'm all for dreaming, but I wouldn't trust this guy to sharpen a pencil without getting hurt. He's got a slick looking website and lots of big ideas... he's a teensy bit short on practicality IMO.
21-06-2012, 02:18 PM
How in the hell did I miss this thread???

This is such a sweet idea! Retro future coming to life!

As much as starving children and disease ridden people is a horrible horrible thing, technology advances our species and helps in the long run.

It's a bit pricey, but perhaps over the centres it can become more affordable and practical. It has to start somewhere though, no?

I'm in support, but how could I not be? Heart Star Trek Next Gen Heart
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
21-06-2012, 02:45 PM
(21-06-2012 02:18 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  How in the hell did I miss this thread???

This is such a sweet idea! Retro future coming to life!

As much as starving children and disease ridden people is a horrible horrible thing, technology advances our species and helps in the long run.

It's a bit pricey, but perhaps over the centres it can become more affordable and practical. It has to start somewhere though, no?

I'm in support, but how could I not be? Heart Star Trek Next Gen Heart
This gives me an idea, LadyJane. If we can get the entire Earth to abandon existing social and economic castes in favor of a life built around a new society and space exploration, perhaps we can design a society free of these social ills first, instead of continuing to live with and try to combat the existing social, political, ideological, and religious institutions which has been done for decades with gobs of time, effort and money but shows no sign of ending.

OK, so that's all great but how is that done??? Hmmmm......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-06-2012, 08:30 PM
(21-06-2012 08:38 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'll tell you one thing, Earmuffs, unmanned probes and rovers are great for mundane data collection and crunching, but NOTHING beats the human element. It's one thing to have a rover 1,200,000,000 miles away collecting rocks and doing a spectral analysis on them which is then radioed back to earth for analysis by a guy working the graveyard shift at JPL. It's another thing entirely to put an actual human on that spot on Mars or other planet actually able to handle with their own hands and examine with their own eyes. It'll open a whole new world of information that rovers and probes sadly miss out on.
[sarcasm] Oh yes you are 100% correct how could I be so stupid, obviously hundreds, thousands of hours of observed data from an unmaned but man controlled robot on mars are a trillion times better then 5hours of observed data from a actual man...[/sarcasm]
That doesn't make sense, these robots can stay on the surface for fucking ages and travel much longer distances than what a man could on his time on Mars.
Remember, Mars has like no magnet field around it, solar radiation (just like our moon) pounds the surface. Man can't stay forever without being microwaved. Robots can. (I think they're actual solar powered but don't quote me on that so they don't even need fuel).
And then if you can get one to launch off the surface and come back to Earth with samples you're sorted.

Much much more effective then a man because it can simply stay there longer, doesn't need to hurry to find nearby samples, can pick and chose from a large area. So no, the human element is not needed.

Quote: Been on a coupla different boards, with the charts and the figures and
the pages of rant about how not colonizing the moon shows a distinct
lack of intelligence, but fuck it.
So there is a direct coalition between intelligence and colonizing the moon now is there?
I believe this is a 'orly?' situation.
So because I think it is a bad idea to colonize the moon what you are saying is that that instantly makes me dumb?
I mean forget all this reasoning I have presented and people still falling back on "it''ll be cool I love star trek!", I am the dumb one in this thread? Is that what you are saying HoC?

Quote: If we can get the entire Earth to abandon existing social and economic
castes in favor of a life built around a new society and space
exploration
You sir are fucking dreaming.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
21-06-2012, 08:40 PM
(21-06-2012 08:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So there is a direct coalition between intelligence and colonizing the moon now is there?

Yeah, that's how it works... Dodgy

Obviously you are too emotional to discuss this subject rationally... asshat. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2012, 08:44 PM
(21-06-2012 08:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-06-2012 08:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So there is a direct coalition between intelligence and colonizing the moon now is there?

Yeah, that's how it works... Dodgy

Obviously you are too emotional to discuss this subject rationally... asshat. Big Grin
Hey, you were the one that said it not me, old man.