Bullied into not speaking out about my beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 07:41 PM
RE: Bullied into not speaking out about my beliefs
Of course, the other side of the coin is that your business associates seem like assholes.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Simon Moon... Yes I get it. As a marketer I know that one has to keep their image up. My post was more so about the frustration and pressure that society puts on a "religious discussion".

And it sucks that my personal profile is also related to my business. Sad But oh well.
16-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I guess what really sucks is that I see all these other "online marketers" who talk about god and religion all the time. So it's acceptable for them to mix business and religion but not if you're an atheist of course.
16-01-2014, 11:09 PM
You shouldn't discuss religion or politics in business.

Or with people that aren't like minded unless they want to debate. You're not going to change anyone's mind.
I suggest simply saying, if you must, " I respect your beliefs but I don't share them". And refuse to dialog any further.
16-01-2014, 11:10 PM
(16-01-2014 07:44 PM)tracyselena Wrote:  I guess what really sucks is that I see all these other "online marketers" who talk about god and religion all the time. So it's acceptable for them to mix business and religion but not if you're an atheist of course.

Church's are full of atheists that only attend for the networkingWink
[+] 1 user Likes hotnostril's post
17-01-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 12:33 AM by DLJ.)
Just had a great conversation with my students (i.e. my paying customers) about religion.

2 catholics and 1 buddhist.

It ties in so wonderful with what I'm teaching this week (critical thinking and stuff) that it's hard to avoid the subject.

Goes without saying that the caflicks didn't know about the slavery and the ownership of women, that kinda thing.

Anyway, it was a friendly conversation and a learning opportunity and three of us decided that we were in favour of owning women.

Big Grin

17-01-2014, 12:33 AM
(17-01-2014 12:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Just had a great conversation with my students (i.e. customers) about religion.

2 catholics and 1 buddhist.

It ties in so wonderful with what I'm teaching this week (critical thinking and stuff) that it's hard to avoid the subject.

Goes without saying that the caflicks didn't know about the slavery and the ownership of women, that kinda thing.

Anyway, it was a friendly conversation and a learning opportunity and three of us decided that we were in favour of owning women.

Big Grin

Love your sense of humorSmile
I think? lol
[+] 1 user Likes hotnostril's post
17-01-2014, 07:36 AM
(16-01-2014 07:44 PM)tracyselena Wrote:  I guess what really sucks is that I see all these other "online marketers" who talk about god and religion all the time. So it's acceptable for them to mix business and religion but not if you're an atheist of course.

As much as it sucks, it isn't an issue of fairness. If you want to be pragmatic, you have to realize that as an atheist, you fall into the least trusted demographic (if you are American). It's stupid and the stigma is stupid, but this could seriously translate into dollars (and lost dollars) for your business.
17-01-2014, 07:44 AM
(17-01-2014 07:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

As much as it sucks, it isn't an issue of fairness. If you want to be pragmatic, you have to realize that as an atheist, you fall into the least trusted demographic (if you are American). It's stupid and the stigma is stupid, but this could seriously translate into dollars (and lost dollars) for your business.

it falls into that 'know your audience' category and your audience doesn't seem to like atheists.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller