Bunch of miners killed in South Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Bunch of miners killed in South Africa
So the other day 34 miners (who were striking, it's an entire platinum mine striking or something) were shot dead by police.
Don't have a link, Google is your friend.

So anyway, I'm watching the news and they got some South African women on and she's talking about how shocking it is and how appalled everyone is blah blah. And the whole news article just reaks of "these police are so evil, how could they just slaughter 34 innocent protestors". And I'm thinking that this is a horrible thing and what not, and then they actually show the footage of the miners getting shot.
Suddenly, I went from "ohhh that's horrible" to "WELL WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT!".
The miners were charging, not slowly approaching, not walking, not running, but full out charging the police line with fucking machetes. MACHETES! The police were ready to just fucking run for it, they look terrified and so would I if I was with maybe 20police being charged by a huge angry mob of machete wielding cunts.
What the fuck did they expect!! Hello!!! Open your fucking eyes! Of course you're gonna get fucking shot if you're charging a cop with a fucking machete. Jesus fucking Christ people, a little common sense!

So yea.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-08-2012, 11:22 PM
RE: Bunch of miners killed in South Africa
(19-08-2012 11:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So the other day 34 miners (who were striking, it's an entire platinum mine striking or something) were shot dead by police.

So anyway, I'm watching the news and they got some South African women on and she's talking about how shocking it is and how appalled everyone is blah blah. And the whole news article just reaks of "these police are so evil, how could they just slaughter 34 innocent protestors". And I'm thinking that this is a horrible thing and what not, and then they actually show the footage of the miners getting shot.
Suddenly, I went from "ohhh that's horrible" to "WELL WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT!".
The miners were charging, not slowly approaching, not walking, not running, but full out charging the police line with fucking machetes. MACHETES! The police were ready to just fucking run for it, they look terrified and so would I if I was with maybe 20police being charged by a huge angry mob of machete wielding cunts.
What the fuck did they expect!! Hello!!! Open your fucking eyes! Of course you're gonna get fucking shot if you're charging a cop with a fucking machete. Jesus fucking Christ people, a little common sense!

So yea.

Yup it's good ol fashioned media bias. Usually investigating something thoroughly allows one to see past agendas to look directly at the evidence.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-08-2012, 12:59 AM
(19-08-2012 11:22 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So the other day 34 miners (who were striking, it's an entire platinum mine striking or something) were shot dead by police.

So yea.

Yup it's good ol fashioned media bias. Usually investigating something thoroughly allows one to see past agendas to look directly at the evidence.

No further investigation needed. All you gotta do is look at the video of the protestors getting shot to know that they were in the wrong and anyone else in those police's position would have done the same thing.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
20-08-2012, 01:09 AM
(20-08-2012 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:22 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yup it's good ol fashioned media bias. Usually investigating something thoroughly allows one to see past agendas to look directly at the evidence.

No further investigation needed. All you gotta do is look at the video of the protestors getting shot to know that they were in the wrong and anyone else in those police's position would have done the same thing.

I had an argument with animal rights activists over some news story they were blowing out of proportion. After reading the actual story from the citation, the situation was getting misrepresented.

In other words the news story was a bunch of woo, and they fell for it hook line and sinker. After showing them it was a bunch of woo, I was blocked. I figure at least I did my part. Thumbsup

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
20-08-2012, 01:29 AM
(20-08-2012 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:22 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yup it's good ol fashioned media bias. Usually investigating something thoroughly allows one to see past agendas to look directly at the evidence.

Maybe we were watching different reports but who was in the right / wrong could not be ascertained from what I saw.

I saw nervous police and a crowd running.

Were they running from something happening behind them?

20-08-2012, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2012 01:41 AM by fstratzero.)
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/30...-1.1138379

[Image: miners18n-2-web.jpg]

[Image: miners18n-3-web.jpg]

-Baron d'Holbach-
20-08-2012, 04:55 AM
(20-08-2012 01:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No further investigation needed. All you gotta do is look at the video of the protestors getting shot to know that they were in the wrong and anyone else in those police's position would have done the same thing.

Maybe we were watching different reports but who was in the right / wrong could not be ascertained from what I saw.

I saw nervous police and a crowd running.

Were they running from something happening behind them?

They were running the other way when the cops starting shooting.
But before that they were running towards the cops with machetes and shit.

And yeah the media is blowing this way out of proportion. But news is never news today, it's a 'story', and evil police open fire on protestors sells a hell of a lot better then 'angry unruly mob get shot after charging police lines with deadly weapons'

20-08-2012, 05:01 AM
(20-08-2012 04:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And yeah the media is blowing this way out of proportion. But news is never news today, it's a 'story', and evil police open fire on protestors sells a hell of a lot better then 'angry unruly mob get shot after charging police lines with deadly weapons'

You should perhaps change your news vendors. I don't remember the initial BBC reports doing anything other than reporting a tragedy - and it was a tragedy, that a group of miners got that worked up that they were stupid enough to charge at the police.

And, despite what you think, there is a lesson to be learned by the police. They opened up in unison... with a vengeance.

Shooting those at the front (or over their heads) would have stopped them charging very quickly. Instead, they over-reacted. The police are meant to have more self-control than an average untrained group of men with guns. 34 dead men was a high price to pay.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Muffsy,
I take your point about the reporting but I was challenging your "No further investigation needed" comment, to see who was in the wrong.
Sure, if I had been in the same position as the police, I might have panicked and fired but as Red says, police should be trained not to panic.
Didn't that moment of panic trigger the events that led to the Boston Tea Party.

20-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Ive seen the "unedited" version...... even that doesnt really show much and doesnt show you the events leading up to what kicked it all off.

They wouldnt of charged for no reason. (im guessing Consider )

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the stupid in South Carolina never stops Bows and Arrows 30 626 15-04-2014 06:28 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
  Intervening in Africa GaëlK7 7 239 20-12-2013 03:43 PM
Last Post: GaëlK7
  Nice Work South Carolina BrokenQuill92 1 161 29-10-2013 08:10 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Dexter strikes South Africa Vera 7 322 16-10-2013 05:38 PM
Last Post: grizzlysnake
  Children in chemical attack video were kidnapped by rebels then killed later. I and I 19 677 15-09-2013 07:20 PM
Last Post: I and I
  Free Syrian army leader killed by Alqaeda I and I 2 268 15-07-2013 09:38 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  19 Firefighters killed in Arizona blaze. Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 2 258 01-07-2013 08:29 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys