Bundy Brothers Acquitted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: Bundy Brothers Acquitted
I'll bet if a bunch of atheists had gone out there and taken over a government building for a few months they'd get several years in prison.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-10-2016, 08:27 AM
(28-10-2016 06:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd say it's on par with the OJ Simpson verdict.

It certainly has its similarities, but there is a significant difference in regards to the roles played by interpretation of data and local sympathy.

In the OJ case, there was no argument as to whether or not the killing was justified or served a worthwhile agenda. It was murder, plain and simple. The issue was whether or not OJ was the one who committed that crime. Though there may have been some race based sympathy (and condemnation) clouding the judgement of some, the trial and verdict was nonetheless based on the presentation of facts and the genuine belief among the jurors that his guilt had not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

With Bundy, there is no question. He was in violation of the law, and there is no evidence to the contrary. The acquittal was based not on the facts or even interpretation of the law, but because enough of the jury sympathized with his reason for breaking the law that they were willing to give the court proceedings a unanimous fuck you and let him off regardless.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 8 users Like yakherder's post
28-10-2016, 08:34 AM
One of the problems with jury nullification.
28-10-2016, 08:37 AM
I have often heard in MMA the phrase “Don’t leave it in the hands of the judges”. I think we can now add, “Don’t leave it in the hands of the jury.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-10-2016, 08:49 AM
(28-10-2016 08:18 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-10-2016 08:16 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  No-where near in the same league!

We haven’t crossed the line...yet. You guys have. Yes

WHen I hear that an armed group of English (ok, or Scottish/Welsh/N. Irish) have taken over a government building to stop Brexit and are found completely innocent at trial I will accept your argument.

My point is not that governmental stupidity is rife in all countries ('cos it is) but that there will be a micro armed rebellion that is just waved off as innocent. Tongue

Any signs of federal complaint or action on it yet?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
28-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Angry

What'd they do? Deep-six the former BLM employee from the jury?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-10-2016, 09:15 AM
(28-10-2016 09:11 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Angry

What'd they do? Deep-six the former BLM employee from the jury?

Assuming it was a local jury from the area where the crime(s) took place, it doesn't surprise me that they'd be bitter about the perceived wrongs that lead to the standoff, even if the standoff itself was an act of idiocy in that it made no tactical sense for what they were trying to achieve.

'Murican Canadian
28-10-2016, 09:32 AM
They will be on trial in Nevada for pretty much the same things. Hopefully they will get them there. They OWE the taxpayers of the US for using our land to graze their cattle. They think they get to use taxpayer resources and not PAY them for it, using the land to MAKE MONEY for themselves. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-10-2016, 09:34 AM
I'd like to say that this is a direct result of busing stupid people as jurors for the trial. But Oregon is really chalk full of stupid people.

I can't wait to leave this fucked up place.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-10-2016, 10:12 AM
(28-10-2016 09:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'd like to say that this is a direct result of busing stupid people as jurors for the trial. But Oregon is really chalk full of stupid people.

I can't wait to leave this fucked up place.

Maybe their brains have gotten soggy Consider

The Oregon coast is breath-taking, you can now add this decision to that list.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce