Burden of Proof.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Wink Burden of Proof.
So I'm currently a High School student, and I've had to deal with creationists giving me the burden of proof many times.
I decided to make a video on it and hopefully get some feedback from the atheist community.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jasaguayo's post
27-01-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Burden of Proof.
Hey, Jas.

I thought it was good. Full points for using Chewbacca, but you mispronounced Wookie Cool

You lost me around the penis section. Lost my attention I mean. You have a good grasp of the ideas and a firm grasp of wit. I think your anger and frustration crept into the monologue a little and that was off-putting. I think that you would benefit from removing some of the petulance from your tone and your writing, and frankly, you seem smart enough to not need it.

The argument "You can't prove there is no God THEREFORE God exists" is pretty fucking ridiculous. You did a great job of illustrating that with the Wookie bit. I don't think you needed to be such a smart ass after though. I think it undermined an otherwise stellar point. Shatter the illusion with the gag and then tell us your point straight up. I think that approach would work better.

I thought that you explained your personal belief in a very simple, very clean, very reasonable and very understandable way. I think you could have spent just a little more time laying that one down.

Shlong is probably the worst sounding word in the English language and the video ended on an angry note. Both of those things turned me off. Don't get me wrong, I'm on foul mouthed mother fucker. I'm not against swearing. I just though it was a little ungoverned. And always remember, people always remember the last thing you said. So ending angry makes the whole thing sound angry, which is unfortunate because you had some great points.

Overall, I think it was a good video. Just trying to offer some constructive criticism. Gotta say though, I sure as shit wasn't doing anything so thoughtful when I was your age. Good stuff, brother.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
27-01-2013, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 08:56 PM by Rahn127.)
I really think in high school, you're better off making up strawmen and laughing at your peers instead of trying to reason with them. They are in a religion. Obviously they don't use reason.

Mock their beliefs

"You believe in talking snakes and magical men in the sky"..... then just laugh and walk away.

Pick a day and sell magical stones for $50. "Given the amount of money you're giving up every sunday, this is a much better deal. My stone has all the powers of your god at 1/10th the price. Plus you'll believe anything. So buy the damn rock"

"You do realize that Jesus wasn't a real guy right ? ".....then produce a spiderman comic.
"See new york city. It's a real place, but the characters in the book are fictional....I know I know, hard to wrap your head around that concept, but i believe with all my heart that you can do it"

"You seem to think you know who created the earth, but do you know who made the first bible and when was it made ? Go do some research. I'm not going to give you the answers to your own religious beliefs. You should know these things. Ask your preacher man who lies to you every sunday. I bet he doesn't know."

"Hey look it's the magic men. Tell your god to pull a rabbit out of his ass."

etc etc

When they say "You can't prove their isn't a god", just reply "You can't prove prove that my cock isn't in your hand", then when they show their empty hand, you point to the sky and the universe. "Just like there is no evidence of my cock in your hand, there is no evidence of a god in this universe. So it's ok to believe that my cock is in your hand when you actually have evidence of it being there. And if someone 70 years from now writes a book about my cock in your hand with millions of people believing it, that doesn't mean that it's true"

If someone wants to believe that my cock is always in your hand, then they are free to believe it, but that would be a delusion.
Go google the word delusion if you don't know what it means.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
27-01-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm a simple person and I liked it. It made me laugh.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I thought it was hilarious !

Godless in the Magnolia State
27-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey man. I know what it's like to be a high school atheist and I too have been bombarded by stupid and very redundant questions.

I liked your video.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-01-2013, 02:57 AM

The fact is there is no atheist argument. It is necessarily a position of ignorance and its sole purpose is the devolution of humanity. You think you're being smart by throwing out superstition, but when you replace it with just darkness. There's no net gain.
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Lol Egor

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
28-01-2013, 05:34 AM
It's quite good but I noticed a few times you would start hurrying the end of sentences - I don't know if that was due to nerves or not but in my opinion it would be worth you practicing the speech a few times before doing the actual recording, so that you can iron out things like that and get it just how you want it.

I'd also suggest a few more effects on the graphics than just changing images every few minutes, and perhaps using video footage of religious people to demonstrate the kind of arguments you are talking about - take a look at videos by TheLivingDinosaur or potholer54, they do that kind of thing well.
(28-01-2013 02:57 AM)Egor Wrote:  The fact is there is no atheist argument. It is necessarily a position of ignorance and its sole purpose is the devolution of humanity. You think you're being smart by throwing out superstition, but when you replace it with just darkness. There's no net gain.
Ah, Egor. Your trolling is getting old fast. You're overdoing it. If you want people to actually believe that you believe all your Veridicanism shiz then you might want to hold it back a little when you are in our company instead of that of potential converts open to brainwashing.

I know you are trying to follow L Ron Hubbard's get rich quick idea but you need to hone your craft a bit first.
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
28-01-2013, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 06:12 AM by Adenosis.)
(28-01-2013 02:57 AM)Egor Wrote:  The fact is there is no atheist argument. It is necessarily a position of ignorance and its sole purpose is the devolution of humanity. You think you're being smart by throwing out superstition, but when you replace it with just darkness. There's no net gain.

Why is Zeus not the one true god? Why not Mythra? This is the problem with religion, you can create an infinite amount of god heads but none of them relate to reality. Tell me something, what seems more ignorant, to assume you were right and chose and follow the one true god, or that we don't even know if there is a god?

Being smart by throwing out superstition? OBVIOUSLY! there is no reason to believe anything superstitious, and not believing in something because of lack of evidence is the smart thing to do Wink

What's the net gain in pretending to know something that is unknoweable?

All you do is tell us your own spin on the Christianity fairy tale, what's the point? Is your life really that meaningless and empty that you need to turn in into a fairy tale? I don't think it would be hard to find something more productive...

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist! WindyCityJazz 3 119 22-07-2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: Smercury44
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,691 21-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Proof Yahweh isn't real. TSG 40 1,950 18-06-2014 12:57 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Another proof of god's existence Troll 13 404 07-04-2014 08:08 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Proof of secular ethics: Against moral violence Luminon 19 347 14-03-2014 06:16 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Incontrovertible proof God exists Miss Meng 129 2,274 13-03-2014 02:09 PM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  Proof that God does not exist donotwant 1 81 12-03-2014 10:42 AM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.