Burden of proof

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Burden of proof
I've recently debated someone and tried explaining the burden of proof is on the one making the positive claim - this obviously got me nowhere and the person said I was making a claim also i.e : it's not.Dodgy

Idea
This got me wondering - how does the burden of proof mechanism work in debates ? When was it introduced historically ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2011, 05:05 AM
RE: Burden of proof
"The fallacy of argument from ignorance (sometimes known as demanding negative proof[citation needed]) is a fallacy of asserting that a claim is true as long as it has not been refuted. In other words, X is not proven simply because "not X" cannot be proven. This is related to the burden of proof, because one is placing the burden on the refutation, rather than on the proof of the assertion. Russell's teapot is a response to this fallacy." There is the phrase I think that most suits your situation. Found from the good ole wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic..._of_proof) <----relatively short wiki post, but hey, it works.
01-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Actually, if you are asserting that there is no God, then you have assumed a burden of proof. The burden of proof is only on the theistic claim so long as you assert that the claim is one in which you don't believe. Once you assert that no God exists, you are also making a claim and share in the burden of proof.

WIN
theist: Have you heard the good news about Jesus Christ?
atheist: I don't believe in God or the miracles of Jesus.
theist: Can you prove there is no God or that His son did not die on the cross to redeem us?
atheist: I didn't say that. You are trying to shift the burden of proof and are building a straw man to boot.

FAIL
theist: Have you heard the good news about Jesus Christ?
atheist: There is no God, and Jesus was just a man who lived and died like every man.
theist: Prove it.
01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
OK , I get the idea.
The argument was on natural cures.
I may have made the mistake gamutman pointed out, I'll have to be more careful in the future if I ever discuss such issues with someone.