Burden of proof, with a twist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2016 11:36 AM by thonord.)
Burden of proof, with a twist.
I have a problem with "The burden of proof".

While recognizing that, as long as an atheist only asserts that the christian believers have not presented a credible claim, the burden of proof remains with the claimer.

I believe this to be counter productive.

The smart atheist should assume the burden of proof!

It is more believable to use science to support a claim than the bible.

While this will never win an argument with a christian, the logic may ignite doubt in other members of the flock.

Isn't that the purpose?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: Burden of proof, with a twist.
And prove what ? A negative ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2016, 11:42 AM
For what claim am I going to assume this burden?
29-07-2016, 11:49 AM
(29-07-2016 11:06 AM)thonord Wrote:  I have a problem with "The burden of proof".

While recognizing that, as long as an atheist only asserts that the christian believers have not presented a credible claim, the burden of proof remains with the claimer.

While this will never win an argument with a christian, the logic may ignite doubt in other members of the flock.

Isn't that the purpose?

Doesn't the burden of proof fall on whoever is trying to change another person's mind?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
29-07-2016, 11:51 AM
(29-07-2016 11:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 11:06 AM)thonord Wrote:  I have a problem with "The burden of proof".

Isn't that the purpose?

Doesn't the burden of proof fall on whoever is trying to change another person's mind?

It falls on anyone who makes an assertion of the truth of something.
[+] 4 users Like Gilgamesh's post
29-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Before one assumes the burden of proving something, "it" must be defined.
There is no coherent definition of a god to assume the burden for.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Isn't that the purpose?

Just because you don't have the mental ability to define and prove the existence of your imaginary friend doesn't mean that the "smart" atheist has to take up the work for you.
29-07-2016, 01:05 PM
(29-07-2016 12:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Isn't that the purpose?

Just because you don't have the mental ability to define and prove the existence of your imaginary friend doesn't mean that the "smart" atheist has to take up the work for you.

You are assuming him a theist. If you read the whole OP, I doubt you would have done that.
29-07-2016, 01:53 PM
If you go to court and say: "This man stole my wallet", the judge is going to want to see proof from you.

If you say to me "there is a man in the sky who reads your thoughts", I am going to want to see proof from you.

If you make a positive claim that something is a fact, you have to prove it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2016, 02:14 PM
(29-07-2016 12:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Before one assumes the burden of proving something, "it" must be defined.
There is no coherent definition of a god to assume the burden for.

What would be even tuffer to prove is a non god!