Burdon of proof HOPEFULLY once and for all!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-04-2010, 11:18 AM

RE: Burdon of proof HOPEFULLY once and for all!
To put this to rest for the last time, and for those who have nothing better to do! I propose a live debate on the following fallacies, ad hominem, burden of proof, argument from authority. We can read the definitions based on what the experts say of each. Unbeliever and myself can make our comments. Super I looked it up and work for an IT firm, if you could set that up I would appreciate it.
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
(11-04-2010 11:18 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  To put this to rest for the last time, and for those who have nothing better to do! I propose a live debate on the following fallacies, ad hominem, burden of proof, argument from authority. We can read the definitions based on what the experts say of each. Unbeliever and myself can make our comments. Super I looked it up and work for an IT firm, if you could set that up I would appreciate it.

I'm game. Alternatively, we could do it over Skype - a chat program with voice support.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
(11-04-2010 11:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(11-04-2010 11:18 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  To put this to rest for the last time, and for those who have nothing better to do! I propose a live debate on the following fallacies, ad hominem, burden of proof, argument from authority. We can read the definitions based on what the experts say of each. Unbeliever and myself can make our comments. Super I looked it up and work for an IT firm, if you could set that up I would appreciate it.

I'm game. Alternatively, we could do it over Skype - a chat program with voice support.

but i want too ...

Damn it where is that sad looking smile!!!!!!!

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Who said you couldn't join in? The more the merrier.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Well the thing is we Europeans are about 4-7 hours ahead of you Americans, which is why it may be difficult for us synchronize with you.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
ah, i have time^^

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
11-04-2010, 09:03 PM
If only we had a time machine...

I guess we could try for the weekend, and see if we can fit it in convenient time for everyone.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-04-2010, 11:07 PM

I would like to see this debate. I've read 4 pages of retarded bickering. I would like to see Unbeliever finish Martin once and for all.

I have a 5:1 bet that Martin tries to force a distraction tactic like naming Hitler withing the first 20 minutes!
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, and I am looking forward to communicating with some real thinking people for a change.Smile

As for proof, I think Richard Dawkins made a fine observation concerning this: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". So, in the absence of such evidence (from whatever side of the discussion), it is entirely possible to conclude this business of the question of a grand deity's existence.

Rationality's evidence: all accumulated, mutually-supporting, and independently verifiable knowledge, data and evidence wrested from our world and universe by courageous thinkers and researchers on many fronts over the previous millenia.

Conclusion for the rationality camp: possessing of mountains of extraordinary evidence.

Religion's evidence: personal (unverifiable) stories of prayers being answered, personal (unverifiable) stories of "hearing" or "seeing" God, as well as writings and books of dubious veracity and unclear authorship, loaded from cover to cover with internal inconsistencies, easily identifiable even for a discerning layman.

Conclusion for the religion camp: no reliable evidence whatsoever, let alone extraordinary evidence.

Go where the evidence, data, and accumulated knowledge leads, and the conclusion becomes clear.

Problem solved.
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Just because I work for an IT firm doesn't mean I have access to such technology.

You want to prove Unbeliever wrong, you set it up.